All reviewsbusy barpub musicstayed herelord streetlarge bedtoilet seatiron and ironing boardbay windowbrilliant locationdressing tableovernight staya lovely staylovely roommember of stafftea and coffeeenjoyed our staytwo nights
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

My parents went to this hotel and the door handle broke off while they were in the room so they were locked in. Both my parents and myself rang the only number available on the Internet for the hotel MULTIPLE times and it just went straight to voice mail. My parents were stuck in the room for an extremely long time and were only able to get help because one of them had to lean out of the window and shout to someone for help!! Imagine if there had been a fire. Their attitude is disgusting and we will never go there again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Rosie P
Rob S, Owner at Peaky Blinders Accommodation & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

We have a video of the door in question (taken immediately after this "incident") which proves there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. We are happy to provide a copy on receipt of your email address. The handle was broken off by your father wrenching it off rather than simply turning the Yale lock to open the door in the traditional manner. We concur that it was unfortunate that our phone line was busy at the time and we have now added additional contact numbers in the hotel room information pack

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We stopped in Room 8 from Monday 7th August 2017 for a four day break away with my wife. Entrance door looks like it's melted​. Leading to a narrow staircase. Booked in and shown to our room. Wonderful welcome. We we're amazed by the size of the room. Spacious and bright. Massive comfortable bed with a similar sized headboard. Two leatherette bucket chairs inside a raised bay window overlooking Lord Street. A double wardrobe with about 5 hangers. Small table with drawer and lid lifts up to reveal a dressing table mirror. 2 bedside tables with IKEA Lamps on. Chunky pillows and P & B cushions. Ironing Board, Iron and Hairdryer. The en-suite is a well tiled area. Slow-closing toilet seat and lid. Small "hand basin". A bi-fold shower door with a Fantastic Shower. Large round head and small normal attachment to choose from. Above a very popular bar, and we never heard any music. Warm until I turned the radiator down. Pedestal Fan in the room. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. Didn't want to leave. Already booked for our next visit. Fabulous hosts. Bar with atmosphere. Outside seating. Highly Recommended.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2017

We booked through Booking.com and got what we thought was a great deal at £52.65 for an overnight stay. Additionally as 'genius' members, we were given a free early check in and a free late check out, both these requests were made through booking.com.We also noted that parking was available so we also requested that as the website stated it had to be pre-arranged.

After booking, we found out that this accommodation had been featured in a CH5 documentary called 'The Hotel Inspector' we managed to watch this is on the catch-up service and we were really looking forward to our visit.

Oddly, we failed to get a response from PB's to any of our requests for early check in/out and parking. So a couple of days before the stay I phoned to ask about the parking arrangements. I was informed that it didn't actually need to be pre-arranged and someone from the bar would point us in the right direction upon arrival.

I stayed in the car while my partner entered the bar, it was empty and the staff appeared to be having a fag break outside and chatting on phones, one of the staff entered the bar and finished her conversation while I waited on double yellows outside.

We were directed to a car park just down the road, which was charged at £3 a day. This car part wasn't for the exclusive use of guests, but we managed to grab one of the few remaining spaces. Otherwise on street parking at £7 a day!

We were early even for our early check in at 1pm, so we decided to have a walk and return later. We arrived for check in around 4pm. We used the side entrance (as Alex had recommended be used in the programme).

However, we were asked to enter the bar to check in, I thought this a rather backward step. So we entered the bar and received quite a warm welcome from a delightful young man. He did have problems locating the days check in sheets, but with assistance from another staff member, our details were located, on the booking in sheet, I notice our early check in request had not been honoured or out late check out request, we didn't require it anyway, but it would have been a nice touch to see them honour our request.

I was then asked to pay £75, I thought that was quite steep, I didn't have our email confirmation to hand so just offered over my Amex card, the same one I used on booking.com to secure the booking. The young man tried several times to process the payment without success. I suggested perhaps the website was wrong and they didn't accept Amex, he was sure that they did and continued trying. This left me feeling quite uncomfortable as though there was something wrong with my Amex account. Eventually, he asked one of the owners(who I recognised from the programme), and she confirmed that they did not accept Amex, so that explains why they had not charged by card before arrival or at least pre-approve - like most other 'hotels'. Normally if you try and use your Amex on booking.com and the 'hotel' doesn't accept that form of payment, it's clearly stated and the system prompts you to enter different card details.

Finally sorted, luckily I always carry a back-up card, my Visa which was excepted. We were asked if we needed any assistance with our luggage - we declined, but the offer was appreciated. He then asked us to follow him to our room, here's where things really started to go down hill, he couldn't find room 15, he apologised throughout, but he led us on a complete tour of the accommodation desperately trying to find room 15. Eventually he asked one of the owners, who led him and us to the room, we were not acknowledged by the owner, but he asked the young man leading the way if he had obtained payment from us, to which he conformed and the owner just responded with a snigger and said 'well done'.

The reason our room could not be found - it was hidden behind a FIRE DOOR, the young man had looked through and when he noticed fluorescent green walls and what looked like a pile of junk in the hallway, quickly closed it again - but no it really was all outside our room.

We then entered a small double room, after reading other reviews not as small as some. No headboard - the PB theme not continued into this room apart from two tiny PB cushions, no wall decoration, just a painted blank white wall, on the up side - it was clean, can't say that about the glass though - picture attached. We started to look up our booking confirmation, the accommodation offers free wi-fi, but not in our room because it was so far removed from the rest of the building. Luckily we had good phone coverage so I pulled our booking up, it clearly said a price of £52.65 and certainly not the £75 we had been charged upon arrival.

We immediately went back to the bar, with the booking confirmation and showed a young female member of the bar staff. She, in turn, asked the owner who never acknowledged us as she tried in vein to access the booking.com website, but I believe she couldn't remember or simply didn't have the password to gain access. The young lady then removed a £20 note from the till along with a £2 coin and simply said 'here' NO explanation and certainly NO apology. I would have expected both and a free drink for their ineptitude. When I went to school £75-£52.65 is actually an £22.35 overcharge - so the missing 35p ohhh that must have been the young ladies tip for begrudgingly issuing a refund?

We did plan to have a few drinks in the bar, but we honestly felt unwelcome and we really didn't want to give them our business so had a few drinks elsewhere.

We had quite a disturbed night, not from rowdy behaviour other guests have commented on, we were right at the opposite end to the bar, so didn't hear a thing from the bar. We were disturbed by what must have been a refrigeration unit switching on/off all night and buzzing constantly - just as we were falling asleep, it would burst into life again, no air-con in the room so we had to leave the window open as it was a warm night.

No breakfast is included - and you can't pay extra for one either, Why ? Can't they just open a pack of croissants and put a tea or coffee dispenser out in the bar area ? What a missed opportunity, I guess they just can't be bothered, which is the impression I get here.

As others have said, the price of the rooms is too high in my opinion, you can get better rooms and service elsewhere so I wouldn't stay again.

We were so looking forward to a lovely stay and I wish I could end this review on a really positive note, but I'm really struggling to find something good to write..

No sorry nothing..........

Room Tip: Try to stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
12  Thank NoviceAngel
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

This place isn't anything like peaky blinders and it's an insult to the series! This hotel is cheap and tacky the way the interior is designed. The head board was massively over sized for the bed which irritated my OCD and the room and bathroom was tiny!! And SOOOOOO HOT!! The hotel is built above the bar which means banging music until god knows what time and the entrance is through a random doorway I didn't feel safe when walking in!! It just wasn't my cup of tea and for £103 for one night NO breakfast it was massively over priced and I didn't sleep a wink!! I wouldn't come here again it was awful!!!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Alison B
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

My partner and I found ourselves with a rare two days off together. We are only 45 minutes away in Liverpool but as the sun was shining we thought we would take our daughter for a day in Southport and stay over night to be able to fit everything in that we wanted to do.

Found Peakys on Booking.com after a quick search that morning and gave the a call direct to book.

Booking was quick and easy and we arrived a few hours later. On arrival we were given a very warm welcome from one of the bar team and a lady who turned out to be the owner. We were shown to our room and luggage was carried up for us.

We stayed in room 7 looking over Lord Street, very impressed for £65! Large bed, bay window with comfy chairs, fab shower, lovely towels - everything you could need. They also provided an extra bed for our two year old.

We enjoyed a full day out before returning after dinner. The bar was busy but we did not hear any noise from our room from the bar or other guests.

We were able to leave or luggage with the bar team the next day whilst we visited splashworld.

Really great value and will return!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family