“Almost there.................from ordering to table is so slow”
Review of Red Alligator

Red Alligator
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Durham, United Kingdom
“Almost there.................from ordering to table is so slow”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Went last week for tea with a friend plenty of tables and good menu selection although drinks required on draught were not available and had to be bottled or alternatives sought. Ordered 2 meals for £10, I had the lasagne which was a small portion but ample for my appetite, served in a small dish with chips and salad, my friend ordered the chicken curry with came with half rice/half chips and got rather more than she bargained for, the portion was huge and she left about 25%, (mainly rice), the curry sauce was lovely but the chicken had a tainted taste that we couldn’t initially identify then put it down to the contact with the raw green peppers that were included either in the presentation or very last stages of cooking, once removed, it tasted fine. For value couldn’t fault it, really enjoyed this visit unlike my last. Only negative was the length of time it took from ordering to arriving was almost 30 minutes yet there were only about 4 tables of diners, this is the area that lets them down repeatedly.

• Visited July 2014

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Visited here lastnight with wife and two friends, to sum up, the pub is nice inside and the menu had plenty of choice, the food was good quality & tasted fresh and well cooked, we all left stuffed and all agreed we would go back. thanks

1 Thank garrysue
Durham, United Kingdom
“One of the very best in the area.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My family & I have visited The Red Alligator many times. We have sampled Sunday Lunch, Tuesday Steak Night, Midweek menu and have been as a couple and as part of a larger group. Each time we leave happy. The food is great, the Menu extensive, the Staff are amazingly friendly nothing is too much trouble, the service is speedy and it's the best value for money we have found. We are not easily pleased in fact I would say we are fairly particular. There's a decent sized car park. Honestly I would struggle to say anything negative. Please dont change so refreshing to see that some businesses can get it right.

2 Thank Helen R
Shildon
“Quality and Quantity”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We visited the Alligator at quite short notice and after reading the good reviews we thought we would give it a try.We were welcomed upon arrival by the owner and the pub felt very homely .It was not particularly busy and we had a choice of tables.The chairs are a bit snug around the posterior but it was not a big deal unless you are over 20 stone.I had a steak which was excellent and well presented with a good selection of fresh vegetables.My partner had the gammon which was so big we took half of it home for the next day. All in all a good quality meal at a reasonable price and very good service .Its nice to see the pub serving good food and also retaining the pub atmosphere with regulars coming in for a few pints .Decent cider and wine also made the evening enjoyable .Long may it continue .

2 Thank 270ambrose
“Food”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was the first time that we visited the Red Alligator for Sunday lunch and it will be the last, if I had taken a look at the carvery before paying for the food I would of left and tried somewhere else instead. The potato looked as though it was powdered, the carrots were black and soggy , the Yorkshire puddings were frozen and the meat was tasteless all in all just slop.
There was also no room to eat which meant that you had to try and enjoy your meal while we were being knocked and bumped by people at the bar, not exactly my idea of dining out .