“Great for 'Roman' around on a bank holiday Monday”

Binchester Roman Fort
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We paid the £5 entrance fee for adults, children were £2.50 and under 4's get in free. This differs from the price on the website but is still excellent value for money and the price difference could be because there it was a bank holiday weekend and there were guided tours and even Romans! We expected a small site to look around and then to go home. We were wrong!

As an ex-archaeologist (if you can ever really be an ex-archaeologist) I was totally impressed with the gentlemen who was doing the tour, he was so passionate and knowledgable about the site and dressed as a Roman General! What more could you want? His talk was child friendly and my partner and I enjoyed it very much. The area itself is small, you can walk around all of it in about 5 minutes if you don't pay attention to anything (which I'm sure you wouldn't do) but there is a lot of good quality archaeology there and the guided tours are brilliant.

It's a child friendly place and has an area for children to actually touch old archaeological finds, dress up like a Roman or just sit and do come colouring in. This area is in a hut, so would be good in a rainy day or on a day like today, which was sunny, it would give them some shade.

We will be going back in July when there is a two day event going on. The facilities are low budget (portaloos) and there is nowhere to buy food or drink, but there is plenty of space around it to have a picnic, which is what we will be doing in July when we revisit.

2  Thank Fair_Metcalfe

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is thought to be one of the best preserved Roman bath houses in the country, the day we visited was an event day and people in costume explained day to day life in the fort, there is a room for children to get interactive. The site is only part developed and time will tell what else is uncovered

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I really enjoyed my visit to the fort for 3 reasons: a) it was very cheap to get in; b) there was a huge archeological dig going on which was fascinating and c) I was completely bowled over by the roman foot prints that were in the cement in the hypercaust. Don't go to this site expecting amazing facilities - it is terribly basic and rough. The main attraction seems to be the TIME TEAM legacy of the late 1990s. I will definately go again.

1  Thank Eddie730
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We were the only people there until just before we left. It was interesting and the information was good and readable but the whole place was uninspiring, It can easily be seen that the exhibits are wearing out and could do with some mending/ cleaning. There were some children's activities set up in one of the out buildings . I could not put my finger on what was lacking. We stayed about an hour but we like these things but it would not inspire some others .

1  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Took family to visit this as an intro to Roman forts etc. it was a partic success with our 7 year old twins! It only takes about 60-90 mins depending how much you read etc. there are plenty of activities for kids. The very basic shop had enough low cost items and kids were chuffed with their small purchases.

This is very much smaller than the bigger places further north but held our kids attention enough to keep them interested.

A lovely site where further excavations are still underway.

Tip; kids should ask entrance man to try a helmet on
There are special events days