“I look forward to going back!”

The Ambition Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was intrigued to know what would be on offer and found a very good selection of food for a lunch menu. The aubergine main course was beautifully cooked with a fine waffle dessert and generous serving of chocolate sauce! I would have liked a little more by way of information about the dishes when I enquired and if I was on my own again I think I would want to face the other diners. These are minor criticisms, however, and should not detract from an otherwise excellent and enjoyable meal. A great opportunity for students to show what they can do and customers to enjoy good food at very reasonable prices. My compliments to the everybody involved. I look forward to going back with family and friends.

1  Thank TSB24752

Reviewed 21 March 2014

After attending numerous meals at this excellent training restaurant, I felt it was time I wrote a review. The restaurant is at Bishop Auckland College and is staffed by the hospitality and catering students, expertly overseen by their tutors.

The restaurant is intimate, (seats around 40?), and feels very cosy with its elegant, neutral decor and subdued lighting. The students who work front of house are always very polite, impeccably turned out, and always try their very best to get everything just right. Some of them are very young and nervous, but despite this always manage to deliver a high level of service.

The food has never failed to be anything but outstanding. The menu varies on week to week basis, with theme nights as well as classic restaurant menus. I really can't believe how they can deliver the standard of food for the price (£12.50) for three courses. There is always freshly baked bread, and we have been treated to delights such as scallops, veal, fillet steak, delicious and authentic international dishes to name but a few. The presentation of the dishes is always superb, we are talking top end restaurant standard. Accompaniments such as vegetables etc are always fresh, well prepared and seasonal.

The best bit is that it is open to the general public. It is currently open one evening and lunchtime per week and booking is absolutely essential as the place is deservedly, very well supported. I wholeheartedly recommend that anybody who enjoys fine dining should give it a try. There really is nothing in the BIshop Auckland area that can compare for both quality and value for money. One would expect to pay upwards of £40 per head for food of this standard in any other high quality restaurant.

I do worry slightly that I may be doing myself a dis-service by recommending it so highly, as once word gets out I might struggle to get a table! I am willing to take the risk however, as these young people and their tutors are doing a brilliant job. People really need to know about this hidden gem. Thank you to all involved for your consistently brilliant work, and I look forward to a great many more thoroughly enjoyable evenings.

4  Thank rfawag
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This has got to be one of the best value restaurants in the area, these young people are college students who deliver a good service and very well prepared food, we go as a group of friends most weeks and not once been disappointed, it is such great value for money. The average price around £13 for a three course dinner. Obviously some elements may lack a little finesse, however enthusiasm more than makes up for it. There are often themed evenings, the last one being Burns night, this was a great evening, great fun, even had the address to the haggis and two brilliant pipers !! Already looking forward to the Valentine evening, well done to all of the students and tutoring staff, support these local kids, give them a chance, these could be the Michelin stars of the future !

1  Thank Bishoptraveller
Reviewed 31 January 2014

really nice restaurant with young staff soon to be professional who delivered excellent service and well prepared and presented food at an unbelievable price...I attended the Burns night excellent address to the haggis and excellent piping by two pipers ..Well done every one

1  Thank kevin y
Reviewed 5 December 2013

College students mentored by Michelin star restaurateur James Close served up a delicious meal, beautifully presented. Service lacked finesse but that will certainly come with a bit more practice. This must be the best value 5 star meal in the region. Beat your way to their doors, but book and go early as closing time is currently 9pm.

1  Thank janets456