“Great Hotel, Fantastic Makeover”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Hayes
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Fantastic Makeover”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

It been a while since I have actually stayed in a room in this hotel even though I visit it every year for a Salsa Festival. A few years ago when it was just Radisson Edwardian I stayed in one of the rooms an oh boy! How hard they tried to take you back to a time, I guess everybody rather not remember, with their drapery frappery decor that left you feeling you had a constant hangover. But now its a Radisson Blu and despite the reluctance to drop the Edwardian tag it is far from Edwardian. The rooms have a great make over with a more palatable contemporary style, soft lighting and cool colours. I loved it. I didn't want to leave the room all weekend. An oasis of tranquility!!

I stayed in a twin, the beds were lush and the room spacious with a sparkling clean bathroom and oodles of toiletries. I think I'll stay here again next year instead of roughing i at the Ibis down the road.

The breakfast here has always been good. What you'd expect when you want to eat a proper English breakfast. Proper sausages and proper baked beans. Be sure to order fried eggs to your choice or pancakes if you don't fancy the scrambled 'eggs'

I did use the Spa or Room service apart from for ice, which they delivered to your room eventually but it was a vey busy weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear OluOlu,

Thank you for the lovely review, i hope to see you again soon.

Craig Lawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Trstenik, Croatia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This has become my default hotel when flying from Heathrow, as well as the (increasing) number of occasions where I stay here purely for the pleasure of an evening's relaxation.

I've written about this place several times before, as the previous reviews below show, and I have to say it just keeps on hitting the spot, reminding me of that Ariston...and on...and on TV advert (gosh, am I really that old now); turning out a high quality guest experience over and over again with accuracy and precision.

As an airport hotel with a pretty huge captive market, it would be easy for the hotel to do the minimum amount to provide guests with an 'adequate' stay and not give a damn about the overall guest experience. It never ceases to impress me that they do the opposite; they seem to be committed to going that bit further. The rooms are always immaculately presented, the staff are always welcoming & friendly, the laundry is always back before you expect it.

Being objective, the smallest grade of room is quite compact and if you are travelling with a lot of luggage, you could feel a bit hemmed in. My advice would be to always go for the next grade of room up, as these are larger and have more storage as well as relaxation space in the room itself.

The room furnishings have a feel of opulence about them, the beds are superbly comfortable (classic Radisson - soft but not too soft, very supportive of a good night's sleep) and there is a decent selection of Freeview channels on the large flat screen TV.

I have genuinely come here on several occasions when rather than drive for a few hours to get home late evening, I have just wanted to put my feet up and do nothing for an evening so I have checked in here. The restaurant Trunk (reviewed separately on here) as well as the Bijou bar (yep, reviewed that one as well) are superb; both with their own atmosphere.

As many of my previous reviews have said, the hotel's best asset are its staff. The front desk team are consummate professionals; welcoming, efficient, prompt and friendly. In terms of that first impression, I always leave the check-in desk feeling like a very valued guest whose custom is appreciated. Specific mention from this stay to the effervescent Yazmin (does she ever stop smiling?!) and the elegant Amy who is growing into her role.

The concierge team are very helpful, nothing has yet been too much trouble when I've needed some assistance with anything.

The prices can fluctuate but are always competitive, especially compared to the rest of the Radisson Blu Edwardian portfolio in London. Comparing prices, you could stay at Heathrow and get a taxi in & out of the West End still for less money than the rates charged by the other portfolio properties in central London.

Having stayed here for what must be approaching 50 times, I hope my accumulating experience establishes some credibility in respect of my comments and my opinion that this is a great hotel.

It offers a high quality overall guest experience, consistently and at excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Propaganda_Machine,

Thank you once again for the lovely review & i knopw that we will see you again soon.

Sao Tome
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Excellent and courteous service at check in and check out. My room was small, but clean and comfortable with everything you might expect as a business traveler. I particularly appreciate the iPod charging station in the room. Haven't seen that anywhere else. The restaurants are excellent, but a bit pricey. Noticed a McDonalds just next door for you junk food junkies on a budget. The hotel exterior isn't striking, but then none of the hotels near the airport were. Carpets throughout are brown which makes it darker than I like, but in line with the wood paneled Edwardian decor. You can purchase round trip transportation from the airport on the Hotel Hoppa bus for 8 GBP at the two desks at either end of the reception area. My only complaint is no bar soap in the rooms. Instead liquid soap dispensers are fixed to the bathroom walls.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SaoTomeTripper
SaoTomeTripper,

Thank you for the kind review, i'm pleased you had a good stay.
With regards to the soap, we do indeed have bars of soap, these are available on request and this is simply done to reduce wastage.

I hope to see you again soon.

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

For a hotel that would normally score quite highly for actually accomplishing my usual trifecta of requirements (Plugs next to bed, a shower I can stand up in, and free wifi), I was extremely disappointed with my recent stay here.

There are some ridiculous policies regarding where guests can congregate and drink, the staff all seemed bored and uninterested, and even downright abuse at one point. I got the feeling of being a second class citizen as I was attending a sci-fi convention. Not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel and has made me reluctant to go back. I know I am not the only one from the convention that felt this way.

1 Thank Darren P
Dear Darren P,

Thank you for your review, i have just pm'd you to get some more information from you.

I take it that you were at the latest "Faebles", this was an event held at the weekend which attracted lots of fans from all over the world & the feedback has been tremendous.

I did take time to look in our Duty Managers diary, but can see no record of any incident, if you had had said something to us whilst you were with us, we could have done something for you.

I do take issue with the comment "the staff all seemed bored and uninterested" as this is simply not the case, one only has to read the other reviews to know that the staff in this hotel care.

As i said, i have pm'd you & i will get to the bottom of this for you.

Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stopped by for afternoon tea (3 people) and although we were a bit early the staff asked us to take a seat whilst they set up some tables which only took them a couple of minutes. Waiter brought us a large selection of teas to choose from and took our order. Teas arrived within a few minutes followed shortly thereafter by a large selection of finger sandwiches, cakes and scones. Thought the ham sandwiches were a little meagre on the filling but in general everything was very nice and well presented. Staff were attentive but not intrusive and looked after us well.
We ordered 3 full teas but probably 2 would have been sufficient for us so the waitress offered to wrap up the cakes that were left for us to take away. Price was £17.50 each which some might think expensive but it was what I would expect from a hotel of this class. Don't think we will come every Sunday but as a treat it would be a good place to spend a relaxing couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon every so often.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear JamS75,

Thank you for the lovely review, i'm glad you enjoyed, i'll pass your comments on to the Chef too.

See you again soon.

Hythe Kent
Reviewed 11 May 2014

An early flight for the city break to Lisbon required overnight at Heathrow hotel. The Radisson was very convenient with long term parking, shuttle bus to Terminal 1. The hotel reception was prompt and efficient and room spacious with all facilities. Future early flights from Heathrow will always stay at Radisson and recommenend to friends.

Room Tip: Courteous and polite to staff on reception
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Malcolm F,

I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

First of all - I will say that the rooms are fantastic - a decent size with all the amenities expected from a modern airport hotel. The staff are lovely as well, bar the issues detailed below. I only stopped for one night room-only and only really used it as a place to sleep for the night so can't comment on the food or other facilities.

However, my check-in experience is something I would like to feed back on, as it was less than the high standards I normally experience at Radisson group hotels and is what makes my rating 3/5 not 5/5.

Having arrived just after a large tour group, there was (understandably) a large queue to check in. Not a problem, I thought, as there were well-signed self-check-in machines.

However, this is where my problems started (and stemmed from!). After putting in my details to find my reservation, the machine taking a £50 pre-authorisation from my credit card and putting in my personal details (all fine), the machine was just about to issue my room key (even briefly flashing up with a room number) when an error came up along the lines of 'You haven't been able to check in successfully due to a payment error'. I then had to join the back of the (by now very long) check-in queue.

When I got to the desk, the staff member, whilst very polite, was clueless as to what had gone wrong, and then tried to take a second pre-authorisation of my card. It was only on showing that the first pre-authorisation had been taken on my credit card statement (via my phone) that they believed the check-in kiosk was at fault. A quick conversation between the staff member and their manager later (after attempting to find one - delaying a further 5 minutes!) I was eventually checked in, and was informed I could charge items to the room as normal, so assumed they had found and linked my card. This whole process took around 25 minutes to complete, after which I went to the room (which was lovely, as referenced above) and availed myself of a beer from the (reasonably priced!) minibar as I got ready for the evening out.

On my return to the room later that evening, I realised that the minibar no longer recognised that there was a card added to the account, as it had locked itself. Unfortunately, a quick call to reception revealed that it was showing on the system that no card was attached! Not wanting to make the trip to reception or argue my point at 2am, I gave up at that point and went to bed.

Check-out, by contrast, was very quick and efficient, and the staff member explained that the machines hadn't been working properly for a while (she ignored my half-serious request that a sign be put up to mention that they don't work!) - however the overall impression of the hotel was still tarnished slightly by this issue.

So in summary, the hotel rooms are really nice, just don't bother checking yourself in!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mike W,

Thank you for your review, I've pm'd you for some more information, i will go and get the machine checked out too.

Craig Lawson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayes
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
London Heathrow Marriott Hotel
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!