“Staff excellent, hotel average”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hayes
Bristol
“Staff excellent, hotel average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

All the staff from the time we arrived until we left were very helpful and polite. If it wasn't for the staff the visit would have been average. Rooms clean and comfortable. We stayed two nights.However, every time we needed to enter our room the key cards did not work. We were told to keep the key cards away from all mobiles which we did but still the keys did not make a difference. The first time this happened thought it was inconvenient but every time was beyond a joke.. We too were offered an upgrade for a small charge. This seems to be a pattern from other reviews.
If using the London Underground there is a bus stop about 100 meters which takes you to Hatton Cross for free. Go to bus stop E to get the bus back. Probably will not stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Jilly92,

Thank you for the review, i have pm'd you as it appears that you may have had a faulty lock, hence the card did not work, so i would like to get your room number.

With regards to the staff, thank you, i'm pleased you were happy with them, customer service is what we are about.

On the subject of the rooms & upgrade, as with most hotels we have various room types, However at the time of booking you can book your choice of room, but we do know that some people like to upgrade if they are here on a special occasion.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Craig Lawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is not likely to be a destination hotel, so we just needed a good nights sleep before our early flight. Arrival; no help with bags, noisy reception area; had to shout to be heard, which was farcical. They had a convention staying so perhaps that explained the chaos in reception. Our receptionist was doing his best and because we had 3 to share he upgraded us to a suite, which was nice, and appreciated. We had missdirection to the elevator by another member of staff, who pointed us to a lift a long way from the room. Long, long, long trudge with cases to room. The room was big. Nesspresso machine, 2 tvs. Window open in room which was odd, but it smelt damp and musty so perhaps needed fresh air. Bathroom and beds ok, but horrid lumpy pillow with feathers I could feel; the worst I can remember for a long time.
At 4am the fire alarm went off, intermittently; odd. At first I thought there was a faulty smoke detector just in our room. Called every available number internally to find out- no answer from any. Alarm stopped, then started again. So I called the booking line as if a new guest. Then I was told a delivery driver was pressing an emergency button by mistake and woke the whole hotel! I cannot believe the hotel has a system where that should happen, but no doubt something odd did happen.
At checkout I wanted a part refund. I asked about the very disturbed night and the receptionist started to tell the delivery driver story as if it did not matter or because the hotel did not regard themseves at fault, this is ok.
Radisson Blu; I have news for you- a good nights sleep is first, second and third on my priority list for a hotel, and I suspect others may think this too.
I asked for a discount from £220 for a nights sleep of which I got half, so was thinking perhaps 50%, but all I was offered by the flustered, surprised and in denial reception was a free taxi ride £16 to the airport 15 minutes away. He tried to find a manager, but we could not wait as like so many other guests we had a flight to catch.
I note the hotel strives to get good ratings on this site, and there were some steps to do that with the complementary upgrade. However since the whole hotel was disturbed at a terrible hour of the early morning, they should have expected complaints. They knew everyone tried to call staff at 4am as the switchboard was swamped. How did this happen to begin with? Why were checkout staff not prepared? Where is the contact for senior managers to take this up, which I would prefer to do before posting here, to be fair and give them a chance to do something (compensate me).
Instead I expect I may get "thanks for bringing this to our attention, staff will be trained, etc".
Not good enough.

Room Tip: Ask how far from the lift if you dont want a long, long trek through endless corridors and perhaps g...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear MootHouse,

Thank you for the review & I have pm'd you for some more information.

As you mention yourself, the Hotel was busy when you checked in, however I do apologise if the area was loud, this is simply because of the amount of people and is not something that we can do much about in situations like that, I'm pleased that you were upgraded to a Suite though.

With regards to the pillows, we have feather & foam pillows in every room, the others are in the wardrobe.

The part of the review that I am disappointed with is the where you say there is no contact information, I reply to every review on here & my email address is available in a lot of my replies. We have nothing to hide.

I'd like to clarify the episode with regards to the Fire Alarm...fortunately it does not happen very often, but when it does, it can be inconvenience to everyone, having said that I'm sure you can understand that the fire alarms are in place for the safety of everyone in the Hotel and they only activate for a valid reason, which in turn needs to be investigated.

The first fire alarm was caused by someone smoking in a non smoking bedroom and the second alarm was caused by someone (not a member of staff) smashing the fire alarm with a trolley in one of the corridors, The first guest was charged for the clean up of the room, as we had to put the bedroom out of service for two days, in order for it to be deep cleaned as the smell of cigarette smoke was not easy to get rid of. As for the second alarm, this was smashed due to someone pushing a trolley into it.

I am sorry for what happened, but I'm sure that you can understand that we have to be so careful with regards to fire alarms & how we investigate them. I have been with the company since 1994 and all alarms in the Hotel have been false alarms, but we just cannot take a chance when it comes to the lives of people. God forbid if a fire was to start, but if it did we would want everyone to be aware and take the necessary action.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Spent the last day of our beautiful vacation in Uk in this hotel : big disappointment and mistake.
Despite the fact that it's a nice hotel ( lobby area, f&b outlets etc), nice room but very small ( ca 17-20 m2 ) we were very disappointed with our stay :-(
A total rip off - room rate per night ( no breakfast ) 92 gbp. Restaurant rates are inspired probably from a top 5 star hotel restaurant but they are not even close to it! Very expensive food for an average airport hotel restaurant.
Worse thing is that they charged our restaurant bill to my credit card without my prior authorisation, taking a higher amount than what we actually spent! After many phone calls to reception , spending ca 1 h to sort it out, finally one reasonable and responsible person assisted us ( the duty manager) and it shall be sorted out the credit card matter within few days....well, hopefully as our credibility now towards this place is zero!
Tv didn't work in the room so we called to ask for assistance. After half hour still nobody , called again, finally they fixed it.
Same with the tee and coffee facility in the room, which supposed to be included : no coffee available , called to ask some, came after 1 h and a half hours later! Only 2 small sachets of coffee though....otherwise they will charge i guess ! Lol
So much about customer service...but the list could go on
Restaurant - Waitress called "Edytha" had an absolutely ugly attitude to us, poor english and a miserable face
Internet - kept dropping, impossible using it for more then 10-15 min ongoing ( continuously)
Normally airport hotels offer a free shuttle bus service to the airport...well, not in Radisson Heathrow, as expected from this place, this service is also against charges!
Will never come back here again - although we travel a lot - it' s a shame of our wasted time and money , if you care about your money and especially your credit card - avoid it! You will get ripped off

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hajnal I
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Hajnal I

Thank you for you review, i have pm'd you, however i do believe that i have already pm'd your colleague after another 1 star review, which i feel is regarding the same stay. If this is the case, then this review is unfair on us.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

A disaster, arrived 12.45, told room not ready (fair enough bit early) but if we wanted to upgrade to king suite we could have room straight away, not the first time raddison try this scam!!!!!
Got a room 1 hour latter. Reception under staffed and they forget about coming to find you !
Room ok small but clean, one sachet of coffee for 2 guests , guess half a cup of coffee each.
Trunk restaurant , awful service , surly waitress could barely speak english, very slow service, on finishing sign check with room number then half latter they call room and tell me i have to come back and pay cash as you cannot book to room ( only hotel in the world where this happens, lol).
Apparently the reception staff are the problem according to restaurant staff?
Then found TV doesnt work , called for help , usual yes sir some one will be right up , not sure what right up means to raddison but got bored waiting.
This hotel gives impression all it is about is get the clients in, ripp them off with poor service get them out!!! An example is at 18.00 on a friday only 2 people on reception , queues across the lobby. Conclusion , no one minds poor service if you are paying cheap , but this hotel charges high end and delivers low end. Next time we will book ibis or local B&B as it least u get what u pay for.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave G
Dear Dave G,

Thank you for your review, i have pm'd you to get some more information, such as date of stay & name etc.

I just wish you would have spoke to us before leaving with a sour taste in the mouth...either way, we will sort this out.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We were offered an upgrade for a small sum and we were thoroughly impressed with our suite. It was plush and very nice.we enjoyed our last night in London and ate at the annayu indian restaurant which was out of this world.... And I'm not even a great fan of Indian food.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lisarahim
Dear Lisarahim
Thank you for the lovely review, see you again soon.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This has more character than many "airport" hotels and is a pleasant place to overnight before a flight ... but ... in common with most Heathrow hotels, there's no dedicated shuttle and you have to take public transport at 4.50 then be shuttled around the other hotels and terminal 5. The journey took almost 40 minutes - it would have been quicker to stay near Paddington and use the high speed train. The main restaurant looked nice if you like Indian food (I don't) and the alternative is reasonable and quick. Friendly, comfortable and OK value.

Room Tip: The sound insulation is pretty good but rooms on the opposite side from Bath Road would probably be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear rowley32256,

Thank you for the review, we actually have two restaurants, rather than one main one. The other one is TRUNK.

I hope to see you again soon.

Craig
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was the second Radisson Blu hotel we stayed in during our recent trip to the UK, and our experience here solidified our very positive view of the chain. From the moment we walked into the lobby and were greeted by friendly bellmen and front desk staff we knew that we were in a hotel a cut above most others. Our room was clean, beautifully decorated, and contained many extra touches not seen during our trip (e.g., adapters for every type of plug, including the ones we had brought from the US, and a great shower). We asked for late check out due to a late flight the next day, which was no problem. Plus, the hotel has shuttle service to Heathrow (4.5 pounds per person). The price wasn't cheap (about $230 per night through Expedia), but was well worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JPofSC,

Thank you for the splendid review, we have some great deals on our site too.

See you again soon.

Craig Lawson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayes
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow
London Heathrow Marriott Hotel
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!