“Budget Plus” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hayes B&B and Inns
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Budget Plus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hotel advertises itself as a budget hotel, and it is. That said, it is much more than that. While our double room was small and spartan, it was very clean and mostly quiet. We heard cars leaving the car park in the morning. Breakfast included in the rate is a continental breakfast, with a hot breakfast being extra. That was fine by us, we prefer cereal for breakfast. I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NZfan02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

If you are looking for something a bit different (and far less expensive) than the usual Heathrow airport hotel experience, you should try the Shepiston Lodge. It is actually a 23 room hotel created from a converted and expanded house. All Professional and Traveller photos and most previous reviews are accurate. I stayed for 6 nights although most guests are one nighters.

I was welcomed by the gracious and helpful night manager Roy but managers Pat and Brian and staffers Emilie, Maria and Anna were all "people persons" who enjoyed and interacted with all guests.

Perfect Location: Shepiston is about 100 yards from the Comfort Hotel which is on the Hoppa hotel shuttle bus service from Heathrow. 8 Pounds return. To get to London, I walked about 20 minutes to the Hayes and Harlington rail station and then used the train for the 22 minute commute to Paddington in London which is also an underground connection. A Day Travelcard worked like a charm. I saw but did not use local busses which could take you to the train station on a rainy day or even to Heathrow airport.

The Building: The Lodge is a 23 room hotel made from an older home that was renovated and expanded. Clean throughout.

Room: My single room was small but perfectly adequate. Toilet, shower, clock radio, kettle with tea, coffee and cookies, flat screen TV. The room was cleaned and towels changed daily. My room was quiet with only occasional street noise but rooms at the front of the hotel might be a bit noisier and rooms on the second floor require stairs. Free and fast Wi Fi in the room and throughout the hotel.

Breakfast room: A large bright room facing the rear garden/parking area. During the day and mostly in the evening guests congregate to read, chat, eat their take away and lounge in several comfortable chairs. A huge flat screen TV is left on. The hotel is non smoking. Smokers went outside to the back patio and were no problem or issue for me.

Breakfast: The continental breakfast included in the price was set out on a table with 3 types of cereals, bread, rolls, cereals, juices, yogurt, jams and cheese. Perfectly good unless you are really fussy. There was a large toaster and tea/coffee/hot chocolate machine that produced surprisingly good coffee for my taste. A full or partial fry up of bacon, eggs, sausage was available for a modest cost but I did not try it.

In short, if you expect an American style chain hotel experience, this hotel will not likely be for you. If you want an English experience with great location, clean facilities, free WiFi and friendly helpful staff that really care - all at an incredible price - you should give this a go.

I will return.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have the same bathroom configuration but there are differences in the bedroom layo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Mary Lykes
Yongin, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Except the location, everything was great! About 15min walk to the railway station and a big market, and 20min bus from the Heathrow Airport. Oh, and the water pressure in the bathroom was a bit weak. But It was fine! :D

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a budget lodge -- if you expect that, then it's actually a great place. The single room I was assigned was small, but clean and comfortable enough for a night or two. The staff was friendly. The price was incredible by London standards.

My only complaint for my one-night stay at this place was that the walls were so thin, I was kept awake 'til past midnight by the guests next door talking. Still, even with the thin walls, I felt like I received my money's worth.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Kobe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I was looking for B&B to stay near Heathrow to get and didn't want to pay 100L a night.
So I was happy to find here through Tripadvisor.

The room was tiny but clean, which is ok for this price.
Also it's in a good location for the airport with a bus only a short distance away, which is good.

The reason why I never come back is....
Next morning I had to leave at 7:10am because of the flight so I needed to start my breakfast 10mins before the breakfast is started.
I knew it is a little bit earlier than 7am so I was trying to ask some stuff but no one was in the restaurant but it was already opened so I decided to have breakfast.
And I was going to have a bowl of cereals and then suddenly the stuff, he came up to me and snatched the bowl from me without saying anything.
I was shocked at how rude he was.

I hope they change their service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AiKondoh
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stayed at Shepiston Lodge in June of 2013. It was my first trip to the UK, I was alone and frankly, a bit confused about a whole lot of things, not knowing what to expect and all. The room was small but served all my needs and was fairly inexpensive compared to what others wanted to charge.The free wi-fi was welcomed. Let's face it, I can't live without wi-fi and paying outrageous roaming charges was not in the plan. A continental breakfast was served each morning, providing enough fuel to venture and explore. The water was hot whenever i managed to return, the walk to the train station wasn't bad either. There was hot food about a block away, and when I needed to relax with a beer and a cigarette, I could sit in the back of the establishment and chit chat.

Pat and Brian , the proprietors, were two of the nicest people I have ever met. I plan on going back to the UK next year and shall definitely book a room with them.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Garden Grove, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

All of the staff is really nice, I just wish it was closer to downtown. Continental breakfast is included,there are a couple pubs nearby but in order to get to town you have to take two buses and the tube

• Stayed August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayes
Mercure London Heathrow Hotel
Ibis London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (M4/J4) Hotel
easyHotel London Heathrow
easyHotel London Heathrow
#20 of 23 in Hounslow
Crowne Plaza Hotel London-Heathrow
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Shepiston Lodge Heathrow? Share your experiences!