“Although this hotel exists somewhere between the past and the present, it can be a good value and an adventure”

London Heathrow Marriott Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Hayes
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We chose The Marriott London Heathrow because we reasoned that there would be much less chance of missing an overseas flight the next morning by waking up close to the airport. By making a non-refundable reservation on the Marriott website several months in advance, we secured a weekend rate equivalent to US $ 130. Upon check-in, the personnel at the front desk were all well-dressed, personable and engaging. The hotel was completely full and, in addition, a very large, lively local wedding was in progress. Walking through the lobby, however, we started to have the feeling that we could be going back in time to one of the Marriotts from 20 or 30 years ago. As we ascended the elevators, walked down the long 4th floor hallway, and into our room, the old and slightly worn decor took back even a few years more. We were quickly jolted into the present upon seeing our recently and tastefully updated bathroom and large screen TV. Several hours later when we called the hotel operator before going to bed, it became apparent that the wake up call that we had requested on check-in had not been relayed to her yet. Slipping even further back into the past, we then realized that our room had no clock and no clock radio. We congratulated ourselves for double-checking on the wake up call and moved back into the present by setting the alarms on our cell phones. The next morning, however, we found ourselves standing in line at the front desk, again lost somewhere back in time, because there had been no bill slipped under our door for the Express Check-Out that we expect as a Marriott Honored Guest. There are no free hotel shuttle buses to or from Heathrow. So, after a 25-minute wait outside of the hotel front door with a small, growing crowd of other guests who had also checked out and were becoming increasingly nervous about making their flights, we paid to elbow and cram our way onto one of the Hoppa buses that run regularly from the hotels back to the airport. If you do stay overnight near Heathrow, here one small money-saving tip. Travellers arriving at the airport either by plane or on The Blue (Picadilly) line from London can actually take a local city bus from the transportation center at Terminal 3 to the Marriott and other nearby hotels on Bath Road for no charge. There are no free return trips back to the airport, however.

2  Thank WorldwidetravelerUsa
There are newer reviews for London Heathrow Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 28 July 2011

The hotel is on Bath road only a quick taxi ride form LHR Terminals 1,2 or 3. It's a bit further from 4 and 5.

The rooms were a good size, very clean and had good linens. The bathroom was a very standard bathroom with no complaints. It's a relatively new building that looks like it was purpose built so it's more like a typical US chain hotel than a British hotel with smaller rooms.

There were two restaurants and 2 bars. We ate at the grill and the food was good but the service was very slow. It wasn't an issue for us as we have nowhere to go anyway. It was a bit pricey but that's to be expected at airport hotels.

I would definitely stay there again if I have an early flight out of Heathrow.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same
1  Thank CheapEnglishman
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Average property, average lounge, average food. It was nice to see the property manager about the property (a rare sight these days).

Close to the airport with free public bus to the terminal. One hour to downtown by train for 8 pounds.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed in the hotel for only one night and it was enough to make me want to never go back. The room was only adequate by Marriott standards although the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom in particular was very disappointing and the room, facing an enclosed atrium was very dark and claustrophobic with only a very narrow window offering any succour.
My greatest disappointment however was with the level of noise at night and the failure of the staff
to try to alleviate my concerns. Despite being on the fourth floor I was woken by the amplified noise of people below me in the lobby/bar. After 2 hours trying to ignore the racket below and my child being constantly woken, I went downstairs to complain. The large t.v was blaring and 2 very drunk people were swoping profanities at the top of their voices. At the front desk I was told nobody else had
complained (should that matter in a good hotel?) but he did proceed to turn off the tv. At no point did he apologise or speak to the barman
and the 2 men continued to make as much noise as ever. I waited in the lobby for 40 minutes until the 2 gentlemen left sometime after 3
a.m.
On the plus side the dining room staff were superb and very friendly, making every effort with my 3 year old. The dinner was excellent (the best ribs I ever had) and kids eat free before 6.30p.m. Breakfast was also excellent with a great variety
of food etc. If only the restaurant staff were on duty at the front desk I mightn't have left the hotel so disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank GalwayDeco
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night before leaving for airport the next morning. The location is fantastic. Close to a free bus stop that takes you right to the subway (8 pounds to ride all day, but totally worth it). The same subway (or tube as they call it) will take you to the airport in the morning.

We paid for a room on the executive floor. The executive upgrade (over priced in my opinion at 44 pounds) includes lounge access, internet, and breakfast for two at the hotel restaurant. Upon finding a dirty towel in the room that cleaning service forgot, the manager Jenna, offered to pick it up. She became very rude and defensive upon being told that I no longer wanted to pay for the executive upgrade because I felt like my room was dirty. In my experience, when I've had problems like this, the manager has been apologetic if not remunerative. This was not the case here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CJ_Potter
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This Marriott suits the business travelers needs very well. We stayed only one night and found the hotel comfortable, the linens good and the upper rooms very quiet. The bar area in the lobby can get quite loud until 12 am, so be sure to ask for a room not looking out to the lobby. The hallways are dated and could use some new carpeting, but the rooms were fine and the bathrooms well appointed. The bus to the airport takes about 15-20 minutes and costs 4 lb. If you have over 3 people in your party, just take a taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the lobby area.
1  Thank terrid1234
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The hotel is located on the other side of the runway of Heathrow Airport, although the rooms are silent (except for the some of the housekeepers). The breakfast is good, but some other food in the restaurant is just average. The hotel looks as many as other airport hotels (long corridors, very little decoration, impersonal sensation) but the staff is polite and helpful and the rooms are comfortable (the beds are good, I always sleep well). Two of the times that I've been there, the "do not disturb" sign of my room disappears after I hang it outside, and when I request a wake up call, I receive up to 3 calls to my room (probably they mean well but it's a bit annoying, specially if there is no telephone in the bathroom). The TV channels selection is good. The only thing I really dislike is the rubber mat in the shower, it looks very unhygienic.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayes
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow
Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Hilton London Heathrow Airport

Been to London Heathrow Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!