“Don't go there”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hayes B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Don't go there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Booked last Christmas because of the Olympics and going to a large family party. Checked booking 2 weeks ago for 3 double rooms. Arrived 1700 hours to be told there was no booking and Joseph had "left". Offered us rooms but saw one and wouldn't put animals in there. Place very grubby; stunk of curry when you went in; kitchen dirty. Think they must take homeless people, or DHS payers. Back garden covered in rubble and old mattresses with blue bags of dirty linen in skips.
we rang round the area and got 3 rooms in a local premier inn, not much dearer than they were asking. Please don't consider under any circumstances

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank elizabeth f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

One word , AWFUL , filthy room , itching all day after being eaten by bed bugs . The manageress / owner was unbelievably rude and the breakfast was worse than pigs swill . Need i say any more apart from the fact you would be better of sleeping rough .

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kev W
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Fawlty Towers, without the humour. I particularly liked the clever marketing whereby I thought I would be staying in a well-kept historic building with friendly staff, rather than a cheap, dirty motel run by people with no sense of customer service whatsoever.

The room was small and badly in need of refurbishment. There were no towels in the room when I arrived (the night porter did provide them less than an hour after I requested them). The bathroom floor was not clean. The tiny closet had exposed pipes and earthing wires at eye level. The breakfast was worth the £3, just about. "Don't mind the hairs, love." (Actually, that's not a real quote - they weren't that friendly).

Yes, the extra hairs in the food were a special bonus but given everything else, not worth complaining about. The local area around the hotel is built-up suburban and Hayes village (a ten minute walk) is not very attractive.

I should have read Orwell himself - in a quote from the hotel website: [Orwell] seemingly grew to dislike Hayes, writing to a friend:

"…Hayes…is one of the most God-forsaken places I have ever struck".

That sums up this hotel for me.

I would highly, highly recommend this hotel to people I don't like very much.

Room Tip: Rooms in A Completely Different Hotel are quieter, cleaner and get more sun.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank outofbandii
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

well the other reviews just about sum it up its a crap hotel the food hygiene certificate on the wall says broadly compliant and thats being generous if your room is on the ground floor be prepared to share it with the ants. The state of decor is 1970 and the bed linen had some many holes thought it was a knitted blanket ooh and for television reception my tv was on top of the wardrope so you had to stand on the bed to see it. if you want a full english you cant because they dont do bacon.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Widnes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

Although basic the place was clean. The staff friendly and helpful. We were down for the weekend to watch semi final, so arrived late Friday and left early Saturday morn so used it as a sleep over stop. I would use it again for the same purpose

Stayed April 2012
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

I found out at the very last minute that I had an interview in Hayes and needed to book a hotel room asap! This hotel was the cheapest in the area which is the only reason I chose it. From the hotel's website it looked dated - but I've stayed in a few hostels in my time so I had seen worse! I booked the basic single room - and that's exactly what it was. It had a bed, locker, mini-wardrobe, tv - and then the added bonus of a shower and sink! They may have been in the actual room, but at least that meant I wouldn't have to use the shared bathroom to shower in!

Everywhere was clean and my room was very warm when I arrived. The staff were very friendly and helped me whenever I asked for any assistance. I think breakfast is generally an added extra, but when I checked in I was offered free breakfast for the next morning!

I felt quite safe leaving my luggage at the reception desk after check out while I attended the interview, and everything was exactly as I had left it when I returned. I asked if there was somewhere I could change clothes before I left and the man at the desk was more than happy to let me use one of the unoccupied rooms for as long as I needed.

I left the hotel in a taxi for the train station and the driver asked me what I had thought of the place - it turns out a lot of people are pleasantly surprised by it and he had heard much worse reviews of the bigger, newer, more expensive hotels in the area.

I possibly would not stay here for an extended period of time but I only needed a room for one night - somewhere close to where I needed to be and cheap. If you're not fussy this place is fine! Serves its purpose!

Room Tip: Room 112 is right next to the shared bathroom. I wasn't disturbed by others using it and it was...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Hollywood, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Don't go there, unless you are desperate! The toilet is shared with about 20 rooms. There is a shower in the room, and I mean IN THE ROOM! There is no bathroom, so the shower is besides the bed! I'm not joking! The walls show humidity marks from the shower steam - of course! The bed sheets seemed clean. Just imagine placing your bed inside the bathroom. Maybe the room I've got used to be the bathroom! I doubt if the other rooms are different. I did not have the courage to eat there. They say that they have free wifi, but you can not access the signal from your room! By the way... Don't forget to take your own toilet tissue if you end-up there for any reason... The only shared toilet did not have toilet tissue!!!

Room Tip: Just book somewhere else if you can afford it!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayes
BEST WESTERN Airlink Hotel London Heathrow
Mehfil Hotel
Mehfil Hotel
#1 of 2 in Southall
Premier Inn London Hayes, Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow/Hayes
Sofitel London Heathrow
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Fountain House Hotel? Share your experiences!