“Service was so so and food seemed Ok”
Review of Viceroy

Viceroy
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Dunkeswell
Price range: US$16 - US$79
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The pretty village of Dunkeswell isn't the first place you'd expect to find an award-winning Indian restaurant, but with the buzz surrounding Viceroy Indian Restaurant at the moment, I decided to head down to see what all the fuss was about.Greeted at the door and whisked straight to an elegantly laid table, what hit me first was the 'sparkle' of Viceroy. Soft lighting and flickering candles were perfectly complemented by contemporary soft furnishings and comfy booth seating, and crispy poppadoms with a selection of yummy dips kept us entertained while we cast our eyes over the menu.Now, it's not easy taking someone who claims a dislike for Indian food to an Indian restaurant, so the challenge was on to test the tastebuds of my companion and open her up to the culinary world she'd been missing. To help with this, we started with the chef's signature starter - crispy mixed vegetables cooked with chat masala sauce, topped with raita and fresh pomegranate.The choice of Bangladeshi specialities on the menu includes classics such as tandoori, balti and biryani, along with dishes that are unique to the Viceroy. Though I wished I could squeeze in more than one, I chose to sample one of Viceroy's special recommendations, the tandoori king prawn makhani. Beautifully garnished to resemble a blooming flower, it is a feast for both the eyes and the tastebuds. My companion, fearful of anything too exotic, feasted upon lightly spiced butter chicken (£8.95) and now has a new-found admiration for Indian cuisine.Many customers take advantage of the chef's 13 or so years of experience and ask for a dish to be created according to their particular preferences. It is this customer care and satisfaction, along with the absolute dedication to detail and presentation that makes the Viceroy so special. With a takeaway delivery service, Sunday eat-as-much-as-you-like buffet and Tuesday gourmet evening to boot, there's every reason to believe the hype; I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We took a group of nine people on a Saturday night, all neophytes around indian cuisine.
We selected two sets of a set menu to cover eight people since a couple of members of the group would not eat a full meal.
Interestingly, both the appetiser and the main course came in group of three dishes for four people! Not quite sure how that is supposed to work out! When we asked, the staff couldn't tell us why there weren't four portions for four people.
Service was slow although the restaurent was only half full when we arrived.
We told the waiter that we did not have experience with indian food but we had to keep on promting them to tell us what they were serving.
The food seemed fine but we wouldn't go back.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

This restaurant is truly a hidden gem.I cannot believe it has taken us so long to visit.
Best Indian food I have had since visiting Dhaka & Orrisa.
Wonderful service divine food
Exceptional value.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

A truely excellent restaurant, if in somewhat of an out of the way location!

We were very impressed with the quality and presentation of the dishes we ordered, and with the standard of service. This is not your everyday Indian restaurant, but the meal prices are not excessive. The menu is extensive, and the staff are knowledgeable and willing to offfer advice, or tailor dishes to client's requirements.

A very minor criticism (more of a suggestion) would be to slightly reduce the quantity of the sauces with the main courses, as these seemed to somewhat detract from the taste of the main ingredients.

We will visit again!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

As with the other reviewers our surprise at the restaurant's location was to be the first of many delightful surprises. We ate on a Tuesday which has a special chef's menu of incredible value as the food was really delicious. Succulent chicken and melt in the mouth lamb dishes, tasty but not hot delights that were presented beautifully and by charming, smiling staff. At the end of an indian meal you always receive a warm towel but here there's a twist which I won't reveal! You'll have to go and see but it made us smile and we'll always remember the Viceroy because of it!
The decor is contemporary with great attention to detail - even the air-con units are hidden behind paintings! and unlike so many good restaurants with poor facilities the Villeroy and Boch appointed loos were immaculate!
This is my first restaurant review and I have made it because this restaurant is worthy of a great review and we wish the owners every success. We'll be back!

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We went as a party of 5 to an Indian Elvis night to this legendary restaurant. I had heard it was a good place and also read the reviews below, so my expectations were high. It was a great night. The staff are amazingly friendly and efficient. This was a special Valentine's night event so the place was packed but we still enjoyed fabulous food, beautifully presented without a fuss. Elvis was superb, 2 changes of outfit and a good laugh was had by all. I am looking forward to re-visiting and enjoying a meal on a normal quiet night.