Oakwood Bed and Breakfast Heathrow
US$105
US$121
US$117
  • Restaurant
Novotel London Heathrow(West Drayton)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$87
PremierInn.com
US$86
US$79
Priceline
Harmondsworth Hall(West Drayton)
US$114
All reviewsdaily newspaperpub next doorwest drayton stationadditional parkingcooked breakfastgreat showersecure parkingensuite bathroomwet roomcomplimentary toiletriesminute drivefull english breakfasta lovely staythe ground floorclose to the airportconvenient locationindian restaurant
Reviewed 2 July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
HeathrowOakwood, Owner at Oakwood Bed and Breakfast Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2014

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'd consider myself a connoisseur of budget accommodations and this place is certainly among the worst of them. I felt like I was staying in a converted garage. The bathroom was beyond basic. I'm pretty sure it would have been possible to get stuck behind the sliding closet door that serves as the bathroom door - there were no handles. Luckily I was traveling alone and was able to keep the door ajar. The floors were terribly hard and covered with a thin carpet. My knees hurt after just a few minutes of kneeling on the ground to pack my luggage. (I've never considered 'floor hardness' in a hotel review before...).
I laughed off the disparaging remark about Americans not being prepared for foreign travel in my first conversation with the host, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and my guess is that other guests may not let those kinds of things roll off so easily.
I wouldn't say that things are dirty, as other reviewers have commented, but I will say that it's been a long, long time since the owners have considered any updates to the room and the age certainly shows. It looked nothing like any of the pictures on the website - even the basic budget rooms pictured.
I couldn't find it anywhere on the website so be warned that the infamous breakfast isn't for early birds, especially if you're traveling on the weekend.
To me, it felt like these guys have been screwed over too many times to make it worthwhile to update, be gracious hosts, etc. Sort of like, 'This is why we can't have nice things, all you disrespectful, dirty travelers will just ruin it'. Which is really too bad. The majority of the travelers I've come across in my day have been respectful, pleasant, and worthy of a bathroom door with a handle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank libertybells
HeathrowOakwood, Owner at Oakwood Bed and Breakfast Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2014

Dear libertybells,
We’re sorry the room was not up to standard when you stayed. We’ve since redecorated our rooms, and re-painted the walls and ceiling in this room, cleaned up the shower, replacing the door handle broken by prior customer. This was a budget Standard room, described as such, and shower as compact. Price includes full English Breakfast, Wi-Fi, Parking.

We do have Superior rooms, which are larger and more comfortable, with bigger showers, and we would have gladly upgraded you to a larger, better appointed room, but we’d understood when we asked you about the room type you wanted, that ‘all you needed was a bed for the night’ and you didn’t need an upgrade room. This was a budget Standard room, as described.

In our local market this room you had was the one of the very cheapest in the area, as we’d seen the prices charged elsewhere in the area, and we do honestly price ourselves right at the cheapest end of the local market in recognition of it being a budget room. It’s not an exaggeration to say at the time of year it was booked you’d easily have paid X3 the price of this room, without extra amenities of English Breakfast, in-room Wi-Fi on fibre optic speeds, and Parking, which average £31 for all 3 amenities (averaged over 81 local properties in late 2014).
We are somewhat disappointed you reviewed us as such, after we asked you what you wanted and we indicated this was our cheapest option, our budget room, and that you seemed happy with it.

We really do, obviously apologise if we offended with our remarks in conversation, which quite genuinely and honestly were passed on in humour as passing comments in conversation, without intending any office whatsoever, in fact referring directly to a comment from other American guests who were staying with us at the same time. Americans are amongst our best and most jovial guests, and these guys were very pleased with their stay, including what described as our tasty breakfast.

Not too many of our guests require breakfast before our normal weekday start of 7 AM and week end start time of 8 AM.

We apologise again for misunderstandings and can assure you no offence of any kind was intended. As mentioned the room you had was one of the very cheapest in the locality at the time and we have since upgraded and redecorated this room and our budget Standard rooms.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I checked in to this b&b expecting great things let me tell you that they didn't happen. To be fair the guy who checked us in is ok, nice and friendly and just leaves you to it but his mother on the other hand is just rude and is always butting in any conversations I might be having with him. We just happen to mention that our boss dosnt like to pay much over £60 per night for a twin whist asking about availability for the following week when his mother popped her head around the corner saying "STAY IN A PUB THEN! YOU'LL HAVE TO STAY IN A PUB!" Let me tell you I found a hotel 100 meters down the road from this b&b for a better price, with a better breakfast, a much larger room, free car parking, friendly staff and clean rooms. So in reply to this rude lady we didn't have to stay in a pub. Now we were told we wasn't allowed to bring food in to our rooms because it smells, but we could eat downstairs but nothing smelly because it is there home, my suggestion is move out and stop bombarding your guest with rules. The standard twin rooms are small and the ensuite is tiny, too small for 2 grown men, now I know there'll be a reply saying the guidelines are this and that but trust me iv stayed in hotels and b&bs for 4 nights a week for the last 10 years and is one of the smallest rooms iv ever stayed in and definitely the smallest bathroom. There not clean either, it's funny because people think because your a contractor you don't know what clean is, someone needs to put a bit of elbow grease into this place, especially as it's there home, you'd think they'd be more house proud but obviously not. If my house was this dirty I'd be ashamed. Now as for the breakfast someone keeps banging on about award winning this and special
bacon, basically it's not! It definitely not! It's a fry up and not a very nice one served by rude staff, they just throw your food on the table. The sausages are little scabby things and the bacon was covered in white bits of fat and grease. Now this is a review from someone who knows the game, so don't be fooled, there's better about. I've put this review because I found a lot better and was very happy I did. I feel a bit for the man who works there putting this review because he's alright and he does try compared to his mother who needs to leave her guest's be but maybe my comments will be taken on board. Just don't believe the hype about this place. Oh and ignore the long winded reply that will follow this review, it's generic nonsense.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank thecluedupcontractor
HeathrowOakwood, Owner at Oakwood Bed and Breakfast Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear thecluedupcontractor
We honestly feel this review was because you were unhappy we couldn’t accommodate you in a Twin Superior room for the company budget available. Apologies if we came off impolite, we genuinely don’t feel we were rude as depicted. We did show you the Superior Room, which you said you’d like, but your company wouldn’t pay for it. It ultimately isn’t our fault the employer’s budget wouldn’t stretch, and we feel the nature of this review is overall too unrepresentative to other people’s experiences to credit this as fair, or something we should take on board on every level.
Firstly, we have actually redecorated the room you were in since this review was left. However the room is not small, certainly nothing like you have depicted, nor was it dirty as described. The shower room is compact, and we describe it as such in all our online descriptions. Superior Rooms do have bigger shower rooms, as shown. We also offer free car parking, with some limit on availability at busy times. The breakfast is good, it is regularly praised and it is free, and an average taken over nearby chain hotels in the area works out at over £9 per breakfast per person, which comparatively makes it £18 of breakfast for 2 people, given every day of your stay. We do feel the description of our breakfast is not right – the bacon is dry cured and comes from a local butcher, not a catering supplier or a supermarket – it produces less white bits than the majority of bacon, certainly any supermarket efforts – hence the more expensive dry cure we opted for. We specifically chose smaller chipolatas from the butcher rather than thicker sausages, as when asked, people said they preferred a thinner sausage for a morning breakfast meal so they wouldn’t walk away too full for the day. We will speak to our non-english speaking kitchen staff about their table manner.

A lower price may have been found at one establishment, but within your review there is no visibility of the overall prices in this market in the peak season your booking was made in, and to get a Twin Room in this area for the price paid at the time and describe it as it if it’s not good value is a question of price expectations coming from other areas the country, as I believe was the case, not being adjusted for the London or Heathrow area. To be judged fairly, the average market price level in this area at this peak summer season should be taken on board before such a description. As should a recognition that with free full English Breakfast, Parking you’d pay on average £10 per night for at the nearby chains, and in-room Wi-Fi on fast fibre optic broadband, it works out at about £30 of amenities given for 2 people, which many contractors that we welcome do end up having to budget for at the nearby chain hotels.

We do feel the last line of the review, before a response has been made, is an indicator of the nature of the balance given here.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our room was very clean, and well equipped. It was compact, but large enough for the 2 of us. The B&B is located conveniently close to Heathrow, and there’s a petrol station a couple of doors away where you can fill your car’s tank if you have a rental car to return to the airport.
We had an early morning flight, so we had to leave before breakfast was served, but the night before we were given fresh fruit and cereal bars to munch on in the morning.
Patricia was very friendly and helpful. She provided information about restaurants that were close by, and we enjoyed an excellent meal at one of the places she recommended.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HeathrowOakwood, Owner at Oakwood Bed and Breakfast Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hi IslandTime2014,
thanks for your review. We’re glad our location near Heathrow Airport was convenient - we are 5 minutes’ drive to Terminals 1-3, we’re 10 minutes to Terminal 5, and 15 minutes to Terminal 4. Nearby restaurants and takeaways include 2 excellent Indians, good Fish and Chips, Thai at the pub, a Grill Diner and Chinese, all good value.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The place looks a bit unprepossessing from the outside, but inside, the things that matter are done well. The staff are friendly and helpful, the bedrooms are clean, the beds comfortable and the 'hospitablity tray' contains a generous quantity of tea, coffee and milk. The bathroom is very clean with a strong hot shower. The breakfast is excellent - wide choice of cereals, fruit juice etc and full English cooked promptly to order. We would certainly choose to stay here again rather than an expensive Heathrow hotel. It's almost next door to the recommended Trip Advisor Indian restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Awen, thank you for your review,
We’re working to improve the front of of the building as I write this, with works underway right now today. We’re glad you enjoyed our breakfast and the excellent Palace Tandoori a few doors away, as recommended on TripAdvisor. There’s also very good fish and chips nearby, and Thai food at the pub.