“OK Hotel at Heathrow but WiFi Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Novotel London Heathrow
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hudson Heights Qc
“OK Hotel at Heathrow but WiFi Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

There is no hotel shuttle between the hotel and LHR, and this seems to apply to most hotels near Heathrow. Instead you have to take a Hoppa bus at a cost of GBP4.50/person. I used the Heathrow Express train from Terminal 1-3 to get into central London, so the Hoppa, used to get to Heathrow, added GBP9 to the round trip cost. On one occasion the Hoppa bus for the Novotel hotel [bus #1 or #8] did not come for an hour [advertised as every 20 minutes]. I, two Scandinavians and three other passengers were about to take a taxi, but the bus then came. All other occasions it was on time.
The hotel furnishing is standard bent plywood and plastic – just like many midprice hotels in Northern Europe. It is good enough for overnight and as a base for trips, which is how I used it for 10 days. However, there were some things that annoyed. For the first two days the maid did not replace or clean dirty cups, did not take out the garbage, and did not replace water bottle, tea bags and cookies. I spoke to the maid but she spoke no English – it appears she was being trained, but with inadequate supervision. I complained and the problem did not reoccur.
The parking was expensive GBP10/day. A key card was provided for exiting the car park, supposed to be good for the whole stay. This was swallowed by the exit machine – every day – and often I had to press the call button to get the exit barrier raised. I advised the front desk of this when picking up a replacement card each day for exiting – they said they were aware of the problem – but it was not fixed during my 10 day stay.
An attraction for me was free WiFi – usual in N. America, but still not standard in the UK. It was free, but too slow for streaming – Youtube, sports, movies – all had frequent stops. Downloading big PDF files was very tedious. Downloading software updates is impossibly slow. Faster WiFi is available for a charge. Bait and switch? A high speed WiFi router and internet service is very inexpensive to install and run – so why charge. In future I will only stay at hotels with free HIGH SPEED WiFi - Novotel would thus be ruled out.
Breakfast is GBP16, or GBP10 if you order 24 hrs ahead – probably worth it – but I only had it once since I take cereal rather than the full English buffet that justifies this charge.
Finally, surely Novotel could provide softer toilet paper – particularly for those of us who are pampered in N. America.
Overall, this is an OK hotel, at a reasonable price, but ignore the promise of free WiFi – when you add the cost of faster WiFi and parking to the room charge, the hotel is somewhat more expensive than comparable LHR hotels. Hopefully Novotel have now fixed the other irritants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Julian M, Manager at Novotel London Heathrow, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear johnwhnsn,

Thank you so much for this detailed review of your stay with us.

As I have mentioned to you directly in my e-mail, we have taken all your comments on board and your feedback will be very useful for us.

I would like to inform you that we are the first hotel group in the UK to offer unlimited free Wi-Fi to our guests. We are also in the process of increasing our bandwidth and this should be available in the coming months.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bettendorf, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Frequently visit UK on business and fly out of London Heathrow. Stayed at a few hotels close to the airport, decided to give the Novotel London Heathrow a stay this time around. Took the Hotel Hoppa shuttle to Novotel from Terminal 1, arrived at the hotel, spent at least 30 minutes waiting to check in. Very slow process. Asked for Express Checkout, given an early flight out the next morning. Awoke to no bill under my door as promised.Fortunately, no one checking out at 5am. Rooms were clean, beds comfortable, but hotel is well travelled and showing some age. Overall, a convenient overnight stay but nothing to rave about.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Julian M, Manager at Novotel London Heathrow, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Travelleramundo,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay here on Tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to hear that you found our hotel to be convenient and I can confirm that we have taken on board your comments regarding check-in and check-out.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

It was as if I had spent the night in an Ikea showroom; a low slung (and very comfortable) bed, some gently curving furniture, and a light and cheerful decor. As if to boast the cleanliness of the room, it was illuminated with bright halogen lamps. The bathroom was spotless, and equipped with both a tub and a walk-in shower. The toilet was placed in a separate area (a nice touch for couples cursed with gastrointestinal incompatibility).

There was in-room coffee, free Wi-Fi (not common in Heathrow hotels), and access to all of those UK TV channels that you don't need to pay extra for, but rarely watch. Plus Sky1, but, sadly, not SkySports.

The hotel is wrapped around a huge atrium, but triple-glazing (so I was informed at check in) prevented my sleep from being disturbed by any late night revellers, even though I was stationed right over the bar and restaurant. The only noise in the room came from a softly whooshing air-vent that apparently could not be switched off.

I didn't check out the dining facilities.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PhantomTourist
Dear PhantomTourist,

Thank you so much for your review of your stay with us.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your time with us enjoying the room and amenities and public areas.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards,
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I booked through laterooms and got room very cheap but bear in mind the cost of parking is £10 and breakfast is £11 ( more if you don't book). Staff at the desk and restaurant were top class, room was immaculate and I really enjoyed my stay.
Evening meal (chilli) was not great and tasted like the mince you can buy in tins and definitely not the best, sweet was nice and service was great. Breakfast in the morning on the other hand was great and worth the hefty price tag.
Needless to say I will be back, maybe next week!
Thanks
Roy

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Julian M, Manager at Novotel London Heathrow, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear redwoodpc,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be top class.

I can confirm that we have taken note of your comments regarding the dinner.

I would like to inform you that we offer a best rate guarantee directly on our website and that you will find rates inclusive of breakfast which you will not find on laterooms.com. Please feel free to consult our website directly for when you next want to book.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I was looking for a hotel with a decent star hotel with a pool and preferably free WiFi. Having looked at a number of alternatives I finally stumbled across the Novotel on a lastminute.com secret deal. The hotel is next door to the Holiday Inn and is on the Heathrow Hoppa H1 route.

I checked in late, and asked for a 2pm late check out which was granted without any fuss. That evening I had a drink in the bar with a bite to eat, the food was good but the one thing that stood out was the professionalism and courtesy of the staff, each very friendly and prompt.

The room was nice, all basic amenities and free WiFi with a decent signal. You can see Novotel make their money on upgrades, so no free water but you get what you pay for. The bed was comfortable and the entire room was clean.

Overall a very positive experience, better than many more expensive places I've stayed. Would/will return, a modern hotel for the modern traveller.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank IanADolan
Dear IanADolan,

Thank you very much for this excellent review of the Novotel London Heathrow.

Kind regards,
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I got a standard room in the Novotel Heathrow hotel at a rate of 22GBP on Hotwire. What an oasis! I'd just spent months living in hostels and couch surfing and I needed to just take a night in a comfortable place. I had an early morning flight so I booked at this hotel thinking it would be just like all the other places I've stayed in for 20GBP. This was exceptional! The main restaurant and bar area was superb. The room service was excellent. Check in as quick, as was check out. The room was spotless and bed was very comfortable. Airport shuttle for a few pounds was reasonable. Electronic safe in the room, mini fridge, microwave, TV. Everything you would expect.

I normally would not be basking in the glory of the basic amenities that I've just listed off - but in this instance I have to simply because of the value in the price. Definitely will be staying at Novotel in the future when I have late night or early morning flight out of LHR.

Thanks for the awesome stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear rileyhalden,

Thank you so much for this great review of your stay with us.

We are so delighted that you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the room, the room service to the amenities available.

We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Crowne Plaza Hotel London-Heathrow
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Sofitel London Heathrow

Been to Novotel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!