“Novotel Misled Us - and There Must Be Better Options at Heathrow”

Novotel London Heathrow
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We recently stayed at the Novotel the night before a morning flight out of Heathrow. The Novotel website page for the Heathrow hotel mentions a free airport shuttle (see the bottom of this review for a paste from the Access tab on the Novotel web page for this location) Turns out there's a 4 pound per person fee for the shuttle and we almost missed it because we had exchanged our currency. The website misled us.
Novotels have a modernistic Ikea-furniture quality to them, and this one is no different. The decor can be annoying or tolerable depending on your tastes and mood, but the lighting in the lobby/restaurant here is particularly annoying. Ask for a fan when you check in because there is no air movement in the rooms and the thermostats do not control the temperature or air movement at all (as noted in other reviews). It was very stuffy and with a duvet but no top sheet, you have a small temperature range for comfort. To their credit, they were very fast in bringing up a fan when I called after some tossing and turning.
The staff at the desk were cold and rude...when I asked one of the clerks a question about Heathrow, she responded "We do not get involved with those concerns." An odd and unfriendly response, and then she just walked away. I was dismissed, I guess. Same treatment upon checkout the next morning. I think the airport location and the one-night stays lead the hotel management to under-value the treatment of their guests. If I had been booked for a multiple night stay, I would have canceled after the first night.
I normally give pretty good reviews for hotels (check out my other reviews) and am tolerant of quirks, but I did not like this hotel.
The positives were the location near the airport and the low-cost (but not free as advertised) shuttle to the airport. The hotel has a nice patio/garden area in the back. The downsides were pretty much everything else. If you need even moderately polite conversation from staff, this is not the place for you. If you want to be treated as if you are at an East German Department of Motor Vehicles, you will feel at home.

- Car
Via the M4 motorway, exit at Junction No.4 for Uxbridge and Heathrow T 1 2 3. At the large roundabout, follow signs for Uxbridge onto Cherry Lane, then follow signposts for West Drayton and you will see the hotel entrance on your immediate left.

Airport
LONDON HEATHROW (1.53 km)
Free shuttle

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank TDHLibertyMO
There are newer reviews for Novotel London Heathrow

Reviewed 15 June 2010

We have stayed at number hotels when traveling from Heaththrow and this hotel is not at Heathrow, take a look on google maps to check it out: Cherry Lane, nr,Sipton or West Drayton, its set far back on the other side of the junction 4 of the M4. If you need to be next to the airport stay on the Bath road (A4), or even better still if you flying from Terminal 5 then stay at the Sofitel, its bit more pricey but well worth it, to avoid dissapointment.

When we arrived at the hotel we had to change our room 4 times to find the right room, since all the other rooms had a stale moldy smell, its seems that the rooms are not well ventilated between change over from customers.

Be careful also if you have been told that there is "complimentry internet" on your booking, there is a WIFI and normal cable internet connection, but WIFI you must pay for! and they do try to charge you also for the cable internet in your room since, especially since some of the staff are not able to understand in plain english that complimentary internet means "FREE Internet!" I had to go over this issue from my printed booking for the employee to understand this in simple plain english.

There is one worring thing, I see on regular basis, when you bring kids along to hotels, please understand that it not fun or amusing to anyone to see those lovely little darlings, sinking their hands into buffet food that other poeple are going to eat too! those parents who have really young children should at least try to serve to those at the table, thanks for your understanding.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank swissinfo
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I booked this hotel for a night stopover at Heathrow before flying out to the US.

Can't fault the service at the hotel as check-in was prompt and they helped me out with some items I'd forgotten as well. The service from room service was fine as well, although they had already run out of some items when I ordered at 5.30pm.

Main issue was with the air con in the room or lack of. It was hot day which made the room like a sauna. As the window could not be opened (faced into the centre of the hotel where the bar etc was) it made the room somewhat uncomforatble and sleep difficult.

Not a bad hotel overall, althoiugh I have stayed at a number of Novotels and this is by far the most disappointing stay I have had with them.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Stayed here over May bank holiday weekend while visting legoland , chessington etc..

Easy to find (right of motorway) and great locaton for visting local attractions (only 20 min drive into centre of london, 15 Min Legoland, 10 Min Windsor, 25 min Chessignton) )

Good for kids (loads staying there) - swimming pool, gym, games room, with x-box etc.. free access to PC's in lobby to check internet.

Good buffet style breakfast.

Room clean and serviced every day (little bit small for 4 but was fine)

Would deffo stay here again

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank JA1977
Reviewed 8 June 2010

A friend of mine and I booked a twin bedroom for a night before going abroad as the flight was early morning. There are a few reasons why I DO NOT RECOMMEND this Novotel London Heathrow: unreliabililty of booking and staff's incapability of dealing with problems.

First of all. Novotel London Heathlow is unreliable for booling.
We chacked in just before midnight and it took more than half an hour for them to give us keys. It felt really long as we wanted to sleep as soons as possible becuase we had to sleep and wake up in 6 hours at the time. After half an hour, the room given was a double bedroom (booked a twin), and we went to the reception to tell that we were given a double by thier mistake. For the first time, they told us that all the twin rooms were full.
1. What is the point of booking when we cannot get the room we book? and
2. Why did the receptionist not tell us that they cannot give us a twin during check-in?
Therefore, the relisbility of this hotel is questionable.

Secondly, the stuff did not deal wih this problem well.
After the conversation above, I asked to get some cash back because a twin room was a little more expensive than a double, but we got refusal.The receptionist recomended us to go to another hotel, which they introduced. We agreed to move to the hotel, and the hotel was no where near the same quality as novotel, and saw the price there: about a quatre of what we paid. We were very unhappy about the room, but too tired to complain, so stayed at the low quality hotel.
To sum up, they had given us a double room without explaining first, and decided to give us a low quality hotel next.

I recommend Novotel London Heathlow to people who:
1. do not care about the room type
2. are quite happy to pay the Novotel price and stay at a low quality hotel
if you are not this type of person, stay away.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank triplay
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I was impressed with this hotel's cleanliness. My room was spotless and the attention to detail was there. Really excellent. I had trouble w/ my computer hook up and the front desk person came up to help me immediately, to problem solve. I thought that was great service. The only negatives were that there is no air conditioning, so my room was a little hot, and secondly, the location is not the best. There isn't very many places to walk or get fresh air, although the airport is very close. The food was also very consistent and tasty, and some of the menu was available at late hours. Overall, once again, great attention to detail and very CLEAN!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2010

This hotel is just outside the Heathrow Airport perimeter. As such your choice of getting there from a flight is the H1 bus or a cab. Tip 1 If on your own - the bus is 4 quid per person but it can take an age if you have maybe missed an H1 and have to watch as all the other H buses -the hotel hoppers - pass by. Tip 2 If there are 2 of you a cab costs about GBP10 and frankly that two pounds is more than offset by not having to queue for a bus and the tedious trip via the Holiday Inn.

The reception area and desk staff are very good - no issues there for my reservation.
The bedroom is adequate - although we might have been spoiled by recent stays at 4* places earlier in our itinerary.
The bed was good and comfortable - sadly we were a late arrival and an early departure so this review might not be as structured as some. It's clear that some renovations are under way and of all the odd things there was a separate bathroom and a toilet something like a cell - it just looked like an idea which had not been fully thought through.

The main part of the reception/ lounge area is a bar with seating and off that a small restaurant. Heavens only knows what was going on in the restaurant but there were several empty tables and a line of one guy plus two of us just standing there while waiters passed to and fro. The maitre d' was absent and when he did eventually put in an appearance it was fleeting and we just got handed a menu. It turned out only to be half a menu; we made a bit of a fuss till the disabled single guy ahead of us got seated and then elected to eat in the bar. The one barman was clearly overstretched although he did his best to take our order although a number of things were "off the menu - finished" It was after 9pm by this time. The guy was also running backwards and forwards to the kitchen serving food.
The whole place was a masterpiece of poor organization. They need a new F&B manager or one who can seize this whole issue.
The food when we did get it was quite pleasant and the beers were good.
On the whole the room was comfortable.

A cab we ordered was in good time at 0700 - so we didn't get to check out the breakfast

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Crowne Plaza Hotel London-Heathrow
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Heathrow M4, Jct. 4
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Sheraton Skyline Hotel London Heathrow

Been to Novotel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!