Stayed here for one night as part of a tour. The tour operator was Newmarket, the coach was Cresta Coaches.
Plenty of parking around the hotel, would be a great place to stay if flying early from Heathrow. They have a pod running from the carparks to the terminals, £5. We were travelling with a group, went to see a theatre show, dinner and dance and trip to London the next day, travel included. The hotel is actually right next to Heathrow Airport and you can clearly see one of the runways from the restaraunt (there is a viewing platform/smokers area), however, remarkably, aircraft noise was minimal and did not bother us at all.
The room was compact for two, would not want to spend more than one or two nights maximum. Double bed was quite firm, but was on castors and would move easily if pushed. Room was reasonably well equipped, decent size flat screen non HD tv with normal freeview channels, tea and coffee facilities, good air con, iron and ironing board in the wardrobe but not much room to get it out. Good storage, plenty of drawers and cupboard space. The toilet/shower was small but adequate. The bath/shower was quite slippery though and would benefit from an anti slip mat. Plenty of towels available. I have to say that the room was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. We was very impressed on that score.
Unfortunately though, as we were part of a coach tour, we did not have food in the restaraunt which looked very good. We were put into a side room (conference room during the day) with several other coach parties. We were given a hot buffet but it was luke warm at best. The food was kept warm on 'samovar' type servers with hot water and what appeared to be a candle underneath! As soon as the food hit the plate it cooled to unnaceptable levels and was tepid by the time you sat down to eat it. Not a great choice of foods either, just soup, pasta, chicken, salad and potatoes/vegetables with cheescake or gataux for desert. My wife, who works in catering, refused to eat the cold food and complained but nothing was done.
We were also promised a drinks service which we did not get and had to make a very long walk down the corridor, through the restaraunt right to the back where the bar was situated and then back very carefully so as not to spill the overly expensive drinks.
It would not stop me staying there if I were flying from Heathrow though as we would then use the restaraunt. Nearly everybody complained to the tour manager the next morning about the cold food and lack of drinks service. She stated that it would all be reported. However, I got the impression she was just humouring us and that it's not the first time there had been complaints of this nature, and neither would it be the last. Until somebody get's food poisoning it will continue, as it improves the profit margins for the hotel and the tour operator.
I would have given this hotel a poor rating. However as the room and location were excellent and it is partly the fault of the tour operator for accepting the poor standard of the food, I have given it an average rating. Had we used the retaraunt for the food, the rating would probably have been higher than average.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located close to all terminals, with direct access to Terminal 5 via the eco friendly Ultra POD network in 7 minutes. As well as boasting spectacular views of the northern runway and architectural splendor of terminal 5 from the hotel restaurant, terrace and bar. The Thistle London Heathrow is the ideal place to unwind whether you are flying off early or arriving late at night. Also because we're close to central London Thistle London Heathrow is a perfect venue for business meetings and other events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Stayforlong S.L., Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Thistle London Heathrow Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thistle London Heathrow West Drayton
- Thistle Heathrow
- Thistle London Heathrow Hotel West Drayton, Greater London