“Airport hotel”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Airport hotel”
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

An airport or transit hotel, nothing else despite the stylish reception area, it is just a transit hotel. If that's what you're after, it's well placed and well served by the airport shuttle bus, which at £4.50 a journey, is probably better in a taxi if there's more than one in your party.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

We take all comments very seriously and share information across all the hotel departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow Hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As there was 3 of us I had booked a family room which according to Reservation Confirmation the hotel had given me a Family room for 3 adults: a double bed and a sofa bed. However upon check in was not given this room option despite me requesting it and showing the confirmation as proof of booking. I was given a room with 3 single beds. The receptionist's broken English made it very difficult to argue out that this was not what I booked.

Upon checking into my room. We couldn't believe what we saw. The room was small. Two single beds had been pushed against the walls and a very small roll away cot bed was squished between them. There was no room whatsoever to step, move between the three beds forcing us to stand over the beds to navigate the room. The other HUGE issue was that because the room was so small there was no where for our luggage. There was 3 of us. Perhaps it would make more sense when squeezing people into a room like sardines in a can to remove some of the surplus furniture. When there is not enough room for all 3 people to stand at the same time it surely it takes nothing more than common sense to remove one or more of the unnecessary items of furniture like ohhhh the bed side tables? Squeezing one of the bed side tables underneath the desk may seem like a good tetris move but in an already squashed room its stupidity.

During the day all bags were forced to be on the beds and at night?? since there was not enough floor space for the bags(literally) we were forced to use the bath as storage space. Which sounds smart but the leaky shower which took super hero (thinking Hulk/Superman strength here) to turn on and off and had a constant heavy drip!! Soggy clothes always makes for a super special stay!

We did consider complaining and asking to be moved but we honestly did not really contemplate how awful it would be until the Friday night and we tried to find space to put our bags and personal belongings in order to get into the beds. We knew the hotel was busy and lost any faith that it was even worth complaining about our dinky sized room. The fact we were clearly overcrowded meant we didnt want room service in the room as the room quickly resembled a busy thrift store as there was no where for anything! This was fine as am sure the hotel would have needed gymnasts from Cirque Du Soleil to change or make those beds! I actually think it was dangerous..... This did not stop the cleaning staff from ignoring the DO NOT DISTURB sign on our door and walking in anyway. Waking all 3 of us up and we asked them to leave. Surely staff are trained on how this sign works?

Our room was a Health and Safety nightmare and I for one am thankful to whatever deity that ensured that none of us were hurt crawling over bags and such in the middle of the night to squish into the tiny bathroom. Thank god there wasn't a fire.

Onto the bathroom!! This was an experience due to the extreme smallness and all 3 of us being girls. The shower needed super human strength to turn on and off. Am not even exaggerating we were forced to manipulate the gauge with a towel and struggled to turn it with any type of ease. A gladiator like challenge to bathe isn't relaxing. Due to the fact we did not want room service to come into our labyrinth of bags and a real life tetris experiment we had to chase down staff for basic amenities such as toilet roll.

The restaurant upstairs was okay though. The menu had a good variety and we ate here several times so this is not based on a single meal. Some items such as the bread selection was ridiculous in its portion sizing(lots of oils for a small amount of bread)....The food was never hot is my main criticism here always luke warm. The trio of chocolate dessert sounds mouth watering but it was bland with the strawberry garnish being the best thing on that plate.

The breakfast was dire. I cant find a single thing to compliment here. Cold food, greasy to the point of stomach churning eggs..... and cheap bread. I know friends who waited an hour for croissants on the Saturday morning.

We were there for an event. On Sunday night we were treated appalling by the hotel! the lounge area was in darkness and after leaving the conference area after being told by the staff to go to the lounge area to allow staff to tidy the conference area we were welcomed by a room without lights and staff who refused to turn them on or allow us to use this area. As paying customers we were rightly outraged. Due to licencing laws they couldn't serve alcohol which is 100% understandable but to refuse to turn on the lights to allow residents of the hotel to sit is the poorest customer service I have ever encountered. The lights were turned on to the dimmest setting possible when it became clear that people were refusing to be moved. To a setting in my opinion that was below a level of light needed to ensure the health and safety of those in this area. The people were badgered by staff to move to their room and when one person pointed out that surely it was a bad idea to have the people sitting in this lounge area (30+) in one room would be a very bad idea the staff relented and allowed us to sit in the dark with a warning we had to move by 3.30am

I do not enjoy feeling like the staff at a hotel I am paying to stay at think I am somehow not good enough to be seated in their lounge. It was incredibly offensive to be treated in this manner when the majority of us had travelled some distance to meet up for this event and on the final night wanted a chance to say our farewells. I found the staff member who dealt with us on the Sunday night to be highly unprofessional in the manner he dealt with the situation and my friends. He made it clear how lowly he thought of us in his tone and actions. I have never been so offended.

Upon check out I attempted to complain about our room only to be challenged that we were in fact in a family room. I insisted on the matter being investigated and a brief sorry madam was offered after it turned out that yes I had booked a family room and no I was not given this room.

Left this hotel with insect bites from our room! Extremely itchy red raised spots which my community nurse informed me were flea bites. Not good at all!! I highly recommend you find another hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different HOTEL!

Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of a tour. The tour operator was Newmarket, the coach was Cresta Coaches.

Plenty of parking around the hotel, would be a great place to stay if flying early from Heathrow. They have a pod running from the carparks to the terminals, £5. We were travelling with a group, went to see a theatre show, dinner and dance and trip to London the next day, travel included. The hotel is actually right next to Heathrow Airport and you can clearly see one of the runways from the restaraunt (there is a viewing platform/smokers area), however, remarkably, aircraft noise was minimal and did not bother us at all.

The room was compact for two, would not want to spend more than one or two nights maximum. Double bed was quite firm, but was on castors and would move easily if pushed. Room was reasonably well equipped, decent size flat screen non HD tv with normal freeview channels, tea and coffee facilities, good air con, iron and ironing board in the wardrobe but not much room to get it out. Good storage, plenty of drawers and cupboard space. The toilet/shower was small but adequate. The bath/shower was quite slippery though and would benefit from an anti slip mat. Plenty of towels available. I have to say that the room was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. We was very impressed on that score.

Unfortunately though, as we were part of a coach tour, we did not have food in the restaraunt which looked very good. We were put into a side room (conference room during the day) with several other coach parties. We were given a hot buffet but it was luke warm at best. The food was kept warm on 'samovar' type servers with hot water and what appeared to be a candle underneath! As soon as the food hit the plate it cooled to unnaceptable levels and was tepid by the time you sat down to eat it. Not a great choice of foods either, just soup, pasta, chicken, salad and potatoes/vegetables with cheescake or gataux for desert. My wife, who works in catering, refused to eat the cold food and complained but nothing was done.

We were also promised a drinks service which we did not get and had to make a very long walk down the corridor, through the restaraunt right to the back where the bar was situated and then back very carefully so as not to spill the overly expensive drinks.

It would not stop me staying there if I were flying from Heathrow though as we would then use the restaraunt. Nearly everybody complained to the tour manager the next morning about the cold food and lack of drinks service. She stated that it would all be reported. However, I got the impression she was just humouring us and that it's not the first time there had been complaints of this nature, and neither would it be the last. Until somebody get's food poisoning it will continue, as it improves the profit margins for the hotel and the tour operator.

I would have given this hotel a poor rating. However as the room and location were excellent and it is partly the fault of the tour operator for accepting the poor standard of the food, I have given it an average rating. Had we used the retaraunt for the food, the rating would probably have been higher than average.

3 Thank Currymonster21

Bristol
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here a couple of times. The reception etc area isnt too bad but the rooms are very run down. Bathrooms could use a good clean and maybe some repainting. The rooms and bathrooms are small. Breakfast is ok. Overall not the worst, but if you can find somewhere else for the same money, do it. A lot of airplane noise.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Booked this hotel for night as I had to pick up my step-daughter from an early flight. Compared to other hotels this one is definitely in the category of you get what you pay for. The reception/bar area is quite modern and fresh but the corridors could do with some updating, the floors are very creaky! The rooms are small but perhaps adequate for a one night stay. I wouldn't want to stay in my room during the depths of winter as the heater did not work and continually blew out cold air when switched on and it was a wee bit chilly. The kettle, tea/ coffee etc are hidden away in a drawer and I think they could make it more prominent to save on searching all the cupboards. The room itself was clean although the towels could do with renewing. The car park is secure but you do have to pay for this privilege £10 for parking overnight,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I did not like much about this hotel other than its proximity to Terminal 5 at Heathrow. Check-in on two separate one day occasions about 10 days apart was slow and cumbersome. It seems that the owners have not upgraded their computer software this century. The halls are dark, the rooms are small, the bathrooms need renovation, and the linens need replacing. The restaurant was okay in the evening, but the lounge lunch during the daytime was only adequate. The second stay involved taking a day room during a stopover in London between flights. We ordered a 'wake up' call which never arrived. Thank goodness we had a backup alarm clock with us.
In the final analysis, this hotel has location, and not much else to recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 3 November 2013

For the reason I gave the hotel two star instead of one is that it is located nearby to the airport and the room rates were pretty reasonably priced. Now, putting that aside, the cliche comes in that you get what you pay for. Quite ironically we had just stayed in the Thistle Hotel in Middlesbrough which was very clean and nice. We booked the Thistle Heathrow for an overnight stay before we caught a connecting flight the next morning.

The hotel is definitely not walking distance from the airport, but it is very close and a Shuttle transfer can be purchased for 4GBP. The shuttles run very regularly and the front desk and help you figure out which shuttle to take to get you to your terminal of choice.

As for the hotel itself, you could tell that the hotel has been around for some time by the style of the room, especially the bathroom. The smell of the room was a bit stuffy. The biggest complaint was the hot water in the shower. The water would either be extremely hot or extremely cold. When you finally got it to adjust to a right temperature not to freeze or scorch your skin, it would randomly revert back to being all cold or all hot again.

Seeing that we got in the hotel at 11pm in the night,and needed to be up by 3am the next morning to get ready for our flight, we did not have time to call the front desk so they could fiddle with shower because we needed to get some rest. I bared the extreme hot and cold water to shower that night and in the morning. Thistle, I hope not all of your rooms are like this!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Sofitel London Heathrow
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Ibis London Heathrow Airport

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!