“Great for T5 but needs refurb”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed here overnight for early flight ex T5 and have to say the pod connection and timing was very good - I arrived late on Sunday and usually stay at holiday inn or premier inn and have to say the price was cheap but hotel needs a refurb - the room I stayed in was very dated and had a pungent / stale odour which i think was the carpet. It was a shame as bed was very comfy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thanks for your comments about the Thistle London Heathrow Hotel.

Thank you for your comments about the direct POD connection to Terminal 5. A recent guest timed their journey at 12 minutes from the hotel reception to departures. I am sorry you felt the room needed updating this is something that we are currently looking at provisional plans for.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Unplanned stay, have not been to this property for 20 years. Polite check in, room, small, very dated, but clean. Wifi, free, was ok. Had dinner in the restaurant, which was surprisingly good value and tasty English fare. Tried the POD shuttle, which was relatively simple and saves a cold wait for the HotelHoppa bus, and is only £1 more expensive

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your recent review of the Thistle London Heathrow Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the view of the planes taking off from the restaurant. We get lots of comments about how convenient the direct POD access to terminal 5 is and would like to thank you for this.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We booked a room here for a saturday night which included breakfast and parking for the night as we were visiting people in windsor. We got a very good package at £60 in total. The parking was very convenient, managed to get a space near the back door to reception which was clearly signposted. The reception staff on checking in were very polite and helpful, our first room key did not work so we had to go back down to reception and he swopped our room for us, we had our second room overlooking the runway way and terminal 5 so nice views, the planes were taking off from the middle of the airport at night so there was no noise at all as the rooms have very good triple glazing, we werent bothered about the noise in the mornings either and this time the planes were taking off right across from us.

The bed was very comfortable, one of the best I have slept in although quite small, the only problem was the pillow was quite high, would have been nice to have a choice as I prefer flatter pillows, good tv in the room, very good air con/heating, the room was very clean and tidy, nicely decorated. The hotel is a bit like a maze and it involves quite a bit of walking from one end to get to the restaurant/bar, the outside terrace is lovely and this would be very nice on a spring/summer evening to sit outside and watch the planes. The bar prices were reasonable and the bar staff very friendly,

The breakfast in the morning had a very good selection but unfortunately the cooked breakfast items were cold which was such a shame as they were very good quality and a lovely selection, I think the hot plates do not keep the food hot enough and it goes cold as soon as it is placed in the containers because the staff was constantly filling up the items.

The other selection of food was very good with a nice selection of pastries, fruit, pancakes, cold meats/cheese etc, toast and bread, a good selection of juices. Tea and coffee was provided by the waitress but the tea was very weak, they poured the tea from a glass jug and it was very weak, my next cup was a coffee which was much better. The waitresses were very pleasant but they were run off their feet and couldnt be so attentive because the restaurant was very busy.

Overall a very nice stay, I would stay again particularly as they are going to refurbish the outside terrace area, I would try and make sure I got my cooked breakfast items straight when they brought out fresh items.

Agree there is a smell in the corridor on the way from the bedrooms to the restaurant, it smells a bit damp.

Not up to the normal standard of Thistle Hotels but good value, nice friendly staff and stunning views so definitely worth a stay. If you are travelling

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidaymad49
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Many thanks for you recent review of the Thistle London Heathrow Hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, your comments about the beds is fantastic we have invested heavily in new mattresses and toppers recently so i am glad they are doing what they are meant to.

Thank you for the rest of the comments too; I will be sharing them with the appropriate heads of department.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Get a nice deal B&B for around £50, one night. Rooms are Ok, clean, adecuate and comfy. No lifts. Near to the T5 Heathrow, easy Hoppa bus to connect others terminals. Stunning views from the breakfast room, full english breakfast buffet very nice. WIFI Free. Proffesional and pleasent staff at Reception.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your kind comments.

Removing the hassles from your stay is important to us, so I was pleased to read your title included the statement "stress free".

We are working on a solution to install a lift this is currently planned for the autumn and includes a connecting corridor to link all parts of the building. Our views of the Northern runway are stunning especially over breakfast with the planes landing we are glad you had the chance to see them.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Travelled down a day early to catch flight from Heathrow just in case of bad weather stayed one night. The staff were very polite and we were booked in immediately. Our room was clean and totally functional. From the restaurant we had a good view of the aeroplanes we had already prepaid for a three course meal very enjoyable pity the weather was not clear. Also in the price we had free parking and it was very easy to get to terminal 5 on the hoppa also prepaid for the best price. In all a very good experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank philip p

Thank you for your recent comments.

It was a pleasure to read your comments, we are often complimented on our unique location restaurant overlooking the Northern runway. I hope you had the opportunity to see the planes landing? Arguably this presents the most spectacular views.

I am pleased to hear your comments about the staff being friendly. This is genuinely important to us. I will ensure your comments are passed on to all the front desk team.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had a quick (2 night) trip to Cairo from LHR T3 and got a stay and park deal at the Thistle. For 1 night's accomodation including Breakfast and 3 day's parking for the car, the cost was £84.00! Fantastic value in a very good Hotel, nothing spectacular but very good, at the price I havw no complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: Maybe close to reception, as far as noise goes (its inder a take off flight path) there was non.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for your great review.

Our price integrity is very important to us and I am pleased you found your stay good value for money. We have invested heavily in our breakfast offering recently and added a number of extra products so I am glad you managed to enjoy breakfast with us.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Only here for 1 night and found the accommodation poor. Check in was a fairly lengthy procedure although the staff were very pleasant. The distance from reception to the room was phenomenal, a very long way, be warned this hotel is a labyrinth. My room was very small and dated but clean. I actually to a bad tumble in the bathroom due to a defective toilet which I reported and hopefully something will be done about it before the next guests arrive. Dinner was a little limited but the food was very reasonable however the restaurant again is a long walk from reception. The hotel is very close to the airport and you certainly know it due to the noise. Not sure if I would stay here again although it is handy for the airport

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Many thanks for your recent review of the hotel.

I am sorry that not all your expectations were reached. I am pleased you found the room clean and the food in the restaurant good. However I am concerned about the fall you mention in the bathroom and keen to ensure that any issue is rectified and ensure there can be no repeat. If you have the time please contact me at the hotel directly.

All rooms are fitted with triple glazing. These have been recommended by an industry expert as the best way to suppress noise within the bedrooms. The rooms regularly have decibel readings taken from within to ensure the glazing is working as efficiently as it is meant to.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Sofitel London Heathrow
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Park Inn by Radisson Hotel & Conference Centre London Heathrow

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!