“Ugly on the outside, but rather nice on the inside!”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I arrived at Heathrow Terminal 5 by Underground and, as advised on the Thistle Hotel website, I followed signs for 'local buses' and caught the 423 from Stop 6. The bus is free, comes every 20 to 30 minutes and took no more than ten minutes to reach a bus stop close to the hotel. This hotel is not attractive from the outside at all. However, Thistle seem to have made the best they can from the interior. Apart from the inevitable housekeeping trollies, the hotel appeared to be well maintained, clean and tidy. Two staff were at the Reception on my arrival, serving other clients. A third member of staff opened another service point and called me over. Check in was swift and efficient. My room seemed quite a walk away, down one long corridor and then another. When I reached the room it turned out that it had not been serviced so I set off back to Reception. Again, a few clients were being served ahead of me, however the staff member who had checked me in noticed I was back and asked if there was problem. He apologised and gave me a new room and took me to it. The room was nicely fitted and did not feel overly 'tired' like some airport hotels. The bathroom and bedroom felt clean, however some of the grouting around the tiles in the bathroom had blackened but not to an unacceptable standard. I did not have a lot of luggage with me and the room would have been a bit small if I had had two large suitcases. However, it was perfectly comfortable with good décor as well as an ironing board, iron and hair dryer. The hotel has a great viewing terrace outside the restaurant and bar which over looks the end of the runway and across to Terminal 5. I ate in the bar and the staff were friendly and attentive. The food was pretty good and some thought had gone into the presentation. There were also large televisions in the bar, but nothing compared to the excellent view of the inbound aircraft going past just outside! I caught the 423 bus again in the morning back to Terminal 5, however it is possible to use the new Heathrow 'Pod' from the hotel, for £5. The driverless 'Pod' takes you Terminal 5 in under 5 minutes. This hotel is perfectly comfortable and at £70.80 for room only, good value. I was pleasantly surprised. I felt relaxed there and would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank vroom100
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

We take all comments very seriously and share information across all the hotel departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow Hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Thistle London Heathrow Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed for one night whilst overnight at Heathrow, vey good location for terminal 5 which is connected to the hotel via a driverless pod. It costs £5 each way but compared to a taxi that's a bargain and it only takes 5 minutes.

The hotel looks more basic motel from the outside but its clean and smart enough inside, check in was pleasant and fast as was check out. All facilities you would expect.

The downside is the rooms are very small and the double bed was hardly big enough for two, saying that again the room has all the facilities needed. Despite being very close to the runway there was no flight noise.

Parking on site and plentiful too

Room Tip: Ask for a large room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ibroadbe

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Don't expect luxury or anything more than a comfortable bed to sleep in before you jet of in the morning.
The rooms are basic and clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.
The hotel offers free wifi which is a fantastic bonus.
The shuttle bus costs £4.50 each way and drops you off at the hotel door.
As I was late in and early out i didn't get chance to try the restaurant but the room service menu looked extensive.
In essence this hotel offers you a good night sleep but would be a bit cramped for a longer stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here overnight in between flights from T5. I arrived late and there is a 24hr cafe that serves coffees, drinks, soups and sandwiches which you can take up to the room. Excellent value too.
There is no lift however!!
Pod is super easy, fast and convenient way to get to T5!!! Room clean, nothing fancy but has free wifi!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Christina W

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel was clean did it's job - not somewhere for a holiday but which hotel airport is? Amazingly stress free parking - no bus to catch 5 minutes by pod to t5 clean quiet room - what else could you possibly ask for from an airport hotel??

Room Tip: No lifts so if any mobility issues ask for ground floor plus restaurant upstairs - perhaps room serv...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rudolph66

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here for one night on a room-only basis - having picked up a good rate via the 'secret hotel' section on Lastminute.com. As the title of this review suggests, my stay was ok - but certainly nothing to get excited about.

The hotel is well located at Heathrow - especially for Terminal 5, to which it is apparently connected via a 'pod' transit system costing £5. I never discovered if that is the case - but in any event there is the 'Hoppa' bus service to all the terminals - and, in the case of T5, you can also use the free red bus number 423 which stops right outside the hotel. There is also plenty of parking - my rate included overnight parking, but had that not been the case I think there may have been an additional charge of about £10.

The guy who welcomed me was very friendly - but as he was on his own he had to answer phone calls at the same time as checking me in. My request for an airport view had been noted - but he explained that no rooms were available and, even if that was the case, none had been refurbished. He said he would 'upgrade' me to another room which had been refurbished and confirmed the inclusion of overnight parking. There was no mention about the hotel facilities however - and I departed next morning still unaware of any of the bars, restaurants, viewing terrace, etc, on offer. What was offered was an early morning call - something I declined, since I'd been up at 04.30 that day and was in dire need of a lie-in the following morning.

The allocated room was at the back of the hotel facing west - exactly the same direction as the departing aircraft. To say that it was noisy is an understatement - I've really no idea if all the rooms are similarly noisy, but it's certainly an experience I don't want to re-visit. The noise finally stopped about 00.15 - I thought there was a curfew from around 23.00, but obviously not. The room itself is best described as compact - acceptable for an overnight stay, but pretty claustrophobic for anything longer than that. It was also fairly dark - actually that's a feature of the entire hotel, with lots of dark wood in evidence. Equipment levels were good, however, and all of the fixtures and fittings in both the bedroom and the bathroom - if not exactly cutting edge, especially the woeful picture on the television - were at least working as they should. The air conditioning unit, in particular, was very efficient - essential given how warm and stuffy the room was on arrival.

If the hotel cannot be held responsible for the aircraft noise - although the installation of more efficient double, triple or quad glazing would surely solve the problem - then it certainly IS responsible for waking me up at 05.45. Having politely declined the offer of an early morning call - that is exactly what I got, twice. Once by - I'm pretty sure - the guy who checked me in, and once by an automated service some ten minutes later. One of the calls he answered while checking me in was - a request for an early morning call! Maybe he got the room numbers mixed up? Did the room which requested the early morning call actually get one? Or is the guest still sleeping - blissfully unaware that their plane has long since departed without them? Either way I don't really care - my night's sleep was ruined and a much needed lie-in gone.

I mentioned the whole episode to the young lady when I checked-out - she was apologetic, but no more than that. Had I been just across the road at the Premier Inn, I would not have had to pay for my stay under their 'good night guarantee' policy - something I also pointed out to her, but I don't think she even knew what I was talking about.

Would I stay again? Probably not. There are lots of hotels in and around Heathrow which are far better - including the aforementioned and quite excellent Premier Inn, one of three at the airport. Or there's the Crowne Plaza, which I stayed at recently and rated as very good. If any hotel - let alone one located at an airport - cannot get something as simple - yet so important - as an early morning call correct, it does not deserve my patronage. Nor, I would politely suggest, yours.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed two nights - booked by the travel agent. Hotel is very close to Terminal 5- that is a positive if you are taking a late night or early morning flight. But if you have business in the city, it is a long commute.

Rooms are rather small, corridor a bit congested and carpets overdue for change. Tea kettle, electric iron etc. provided in the room - useful.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.. the breakfast spread is good.

Overall.. good for short stays... keep your expectations on the lower side !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Sofitel London Heathrow
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!