“Enchanting view of the airport runway”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Enchanting view of the airport runway”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel when attending an assessment day in Heathrow. I found it to be a very odd building at first - very maze like and took a while to work out how to get back to reception. The room basic but perfectly adequate and comfortable with an excellent bathroom. We found out upon arrival that the price I had paid for the room not only included breakfast but also an evening meal. I thought that this was exceptionally good value. The restaurant itself was very basic and whilst the whole building has a rundown feel about it, it was the experience of eating dinner and watching the planes take off that set this hotel apart. If you are a plane buff like me, then you will simply love it. Whilst the hotel itself is perfectly basic, I found the view of the runway to be really exceptional.

Room Tip: As close to reception as it possible otherwise it will take you an age to get anywhere very fast
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank AMCake
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2014
Thanks for your review.

I am really glad you enjoyed the view of planes from the terrace. If they are landing on the Northern runway the views are fantastic.

Next time you are considering staying the area, please look at the thistle website direct and take advantage of our best rate guarantee and free online check in.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

On arrival via pod from Heathrow my son and I thought we had arrived at a maximum security prison .. An uninviting walk through a locked gate (barbed wire fence) then a car park we had already regretted our choice. We stay near the airport every year on arrival in London and chose Thistle based on cost .. Big mistake! Factor in cost of pod (transfer service 20 quid return for 2) we could have done much better there is plenty of choice. The room was tiny, hot, noisy and stuffy ... Positives, bed quite comfy... staff pleasant. Unless on a budget give a big miss. We will not stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your recent review.

I am pleased you found the hotels close location to Terminal five favourable. All POD ticket sales are collected on behalf of the operator. The hotel does not profit at all from these sales.

Next time your here you must check out the views of the Northern runway from the terrace next to the restaurant.
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We recently stayed one night at this hotel. Our toilet was broken and I called for assistance. A person came to fix it, but it immediately broke again. I attempted to call the front desk, but go no answer after about 25 rings. I called again and let it ring about 40 times. No answer. I decided to just fix the toilet myself. I really hadn't imagined having to fish around the back of the toilet and put my hand in the water, etc. Being very frustrated, I decided to pay a visit to the front desk to see what was up, and the person who had originally come to fix it was just standing there, doing nothing. I complained that someone could have been having a heart attack or some other emergency and it was NOT acceptable to ignore a call to the front desk. They said they were busy and couldn't answer it. I did express my concerns with this, and they politely let me have my say.

No need to comment on the room or restaurant, etc., since that appears to have been covered pretty thoroughly by others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sss1301
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you had a poor experience, that’s never our intention. We have invested heavily in many areas of the hotel over the last year and will continue to do so.

We have a clear communication plan and all relevant feedback is passed onto the concerned department for their action.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After much searching of Heathrow airport hotels decided on the Thistle, and glad I did so.
As I was flying from Terminal 5 with an un-earthly early check-in time and with a car to
park whilst away this hotel ticks all the boxes. Although busy, reception staff very helpful
and I was offered help with my luggage to first floor (there is no lift). For anyone with an
interest in aircraft there is an open air viewing terrace adjacent to the restaurant/bar area
with excellent views of aircraft movements. My hoppa bus turned up at 0434 (as advertised)
and within a few minutes I was inside Terminal 5. Upon my return a week later I decided to
give the automatic 'POD' a try, which takes you directly from a Term. 5 carpark to a carpark
close to the Thistle hotel - very efficient and different ! However, if raining I would not
recommend it as you have about a 200yards walk to the hotel entrance. Would definitely
use this hotel again,and not just for flying from Terminal 5. If you just want somewhere to
lay your head for one night at a reasonable rate including your carparking this does it for me.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank happytraveller085
Thank you for your recent review.

We take all comments very seriously and share information across all the hotel departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow Hotel in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Terrible hotel, very dated and very tired, the hot breakfast was luke warm, rooms have not been updated for years. The bar is the most depressing room that I have been in for years. The beds were comfy enough which is the only positive I can mention. Far far better hotels for cheaper in the close vicinity. I want aware that hotels this bad still exist in such a prime location, they are taking advantage of one time visitors knowing they won't return. A rip off for the price and needs attention.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew C

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is bit that close to the terminals, it took more than 30 minutes to get to it. After you pay for the bus to get to the hotel, when you pull up you fill like you are pulling into a prison. Which really isn't far off, the other guest around our room we very loud. The rooms were like lipstick on a pig. For the price, stay in London.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annpdx

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Thistle offers small dingy rooms with typical English hotel amenities, by which I mean not much. Small (but comfortable) single beds pushed together to make a queensize one. The rooms are old, the carpet threadbare. One could not sit upright on the toilet but had to lean to one side due to placement of the toilet paper dispenser. There was one towel in the bathroom. On the plus side it's very close to the airport and the Pod gets you to terminal 5 in 5 min for 5 pounds. I did not have a meal but the airport view restaurant but it was nicely appointed and the runway terrace offered some nice views of planes taking off. They tried to Add 25 pound fee for early check in. But when I told them that they did not mention that at check in they took it off the bill. There is a lot of noise from the planes which take off every 2 or 3 minutes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Sofitel London Heathrow
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Ibis London Heathrow Airport

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!