“Ok and very close to T5”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I read many not so favorable reviews about this place but since I had a very early flight (6.55am) from Terminal 5 and did not want to use the dreaded Hopper service or expensive taxi I figured this one fits the bill as it has almost direct access to the "pod" transport system.

I always travel with earplugs so any noise complaints others had - I can't agree with - if one is staying at an airport hotel - there will be planes going overhead - so really no need to complain about that!

Overall - friendly staff, clean but tired looking. Smallish rooms and a new for me - being asked at check in - two people - no just me - ok but it's a queen room - so? no problem with a bigger bed... but only one towel... go figure:-)

No bar fridge - so warm wine for me - small kettle and only two sachets of coffee... probably could have rang house keeping for that but rather odd. They have no lift - so people with large suit cases like me are lucky if they are put on the ground floor or will have to carry their bags upstairs.

I did not try the restaurant so can't comment on that.

The pod system delivered though - its a fiver and is very fast and on time.. so for that reason I would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: If you travel with loads of bags (or heavy ones) - get a downstairs room and always take some ear pl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank R_G_Baker
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2014

Thanks for your recent review.

I am pleased you found the hotels close location to Terminal five favourable. All POD ticket sales are collected on behalf of the operator. The hotel does not profit at all from these sales.

Next time your here you must check out the views of the Northern runway from the terrace next to the restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow when you return to the UK.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,824)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had to find a hotel as my flight from T5 was cancelled. The hotel is not very from from T5 so that is good. The rooms are very small and extremely thin-walled you can hear every sound your neighbors are making. The hotel is not very fresh and it is really time for a major refurbishment. I tried room service and that was actually ok. One night in a case of emergency is ok but for any other reason I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Many thanks for your comments

I am glad the hotel worked well as a stopover for you and you enjoyed room service.

Next time you stay speed up your journey to the airport by taking the POD. A recent guest timed their journey from reception to T5 at just 12 minutes!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Its just in the flight path of the aeroplanes. Wouldn't have minded so much if I had been going on a plane but I wasn't. Fortunately we were only there for 1 night. The planes stop at 11 and my lighter sleeping colleagues couldn't sleep until then. The hotel is, otherwise, pretty bog standard. Dated. Tired. Probably a cheap option for those flying from Heathrow. Staff were friendly enough. Cant really say any more. Good or bad. I wouldn't stay here again if I could help it. It asks me about location - if you just want a quick transfer to Heathrow, its great. If you want pubs, shops, some sort of life. You wont get it.

Room Tip: I think they are all pretty much the same. I would try to avoid single rooms as I bet they are pokey...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your recent review.

I am pleased you thought the hotels close location to Terminal five favourable.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for one night after a long flight back from Las Vegas. We arrived late- approx 11.30pm. We booked this hotel as it stated that the hotel was directly in terminal 5- don't be fooled! It cost us £25 in a taxi from terminal 5 to the Thistle! It could be argued you could get the bus but with it being so late, no buses were running so our only option was a taxi.

Reception staff seemed tired with a 'can't be bothered attitude' and with our room being located 3 floors up with no lifts, we had to ask for help with our luggage but the staff member seemed 'put out' by this. The room was basic & quite small but was fine for us to just freshen up and get our head down after a long flight. The air con in the room was a god send as it had been a really hot day that day so that was good.

Hotel claims to have 24 hr room service but we were told it finished at 11pm. However, there is a Mcdonalds just a 2 min walk away which was open 24 hrs, so we just went there for a bite to eat. At a large international airport such as Heathrow, this hotel should offer 24 hr room service for its guests.

However, on a positive note, this hotel offers great transport links to the rest of Heathrow airport with a shuttle bus picking you up directly outside the hotel reception doors.

Just a tip to other guests travelling to terminal 5 and wanting a hotel directly outside, I would recommend the Sofitel hotel which is literally a walk across the road from the Terminal 5 doors.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for you recent comments.

Terminal 5 to the hotel in a taxi should cost no more than £15.00 - £20.00 even at 11.00pm. You can come by bus for free or direct on the POD for £5.00 per person. The hotel only has a ground and first floor but we are working towards fitting a lift into the hotel and part of this project is a bridge to connect all parts of the building.

We have recently upgraded our free wifi so it’s now superfast and accessible with just one click anywhere in the hotel.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great spot for stopping over when flying in or out of Heathrow terminal 5. Corridors and rooms are pretty tired looking but perfectly clean. The view from the restaurant makes up for the poor quality overpriced food which is all too common when you have a captive audience. The pod that takes you too and from the airport is fantastic, really easy trip to the airport I the morning for an early flight.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Many thanks for the great review.

I am glad the hotel worked well as a stopover for you. We have not been working with the POD operator too long but the partnership seems to be working well.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stopped here with a amazon deal nobody understood what was going on. In the end I got charged twice this has now been rectified. Rooms tired plumbing needs sorting . Evening meal good breakfast excellent ok for one night. Pod from hotel great to get to the airport. Would stop here again but only for one night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for you comments.

I am pleased the hotel worked well for you, it’s really important that your stay represented value for money. I will pass your comments of the evening meal and breakfast to the chef and his team, thank you.

I hope you had the opportunity to watch the planes landing on the northern runway at breakfast; this is one of the hotels best features. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Hotel was excellent we had a twin room on the ground floor, didnt hear planes at all.

Had meal in the reastaraunt that was very good, it was after 7pm on a sunday night but the staff were attentive and very pleasant, watching the planes take off every minute I thought our room might have been noisy but it wasnt.

The best thing about the hotel for me was the location and the ease of the PODS for transfer to terminal 5. Its only a fiver and quite fun and very easy to use, just get the ticket from reception, I was travelling with my elderly mother and it was very easy for us!!

Room Tip: we had room on the ground floor didn't request it but was brilliant for my mum, quiet too! (twin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen C

Many thanks for the great review.

I am glad the hotel worked well as a stopover for you and I am pleased you found the reception team friendly. We have not been working with the POD operator too long but the partnership seems to be working well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Park Inn by Radisson Hotel & Conference Centre London Heathrow
Novotel London Heathrow
Novotel London Heathrow
#5 of 12 in West Drayton

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!