“What an appalling customer experience”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I've had the misfortune to use this hotel several times this year as I need to attend regular monthly meetings held here. Tonight's experience finally took the biscuit.

You'd think management would know that a) I'm a regular and b) also a loyalty card holder but clearly not.

Even though I'd booked a double room I was downgraded to a twin! If I wanted a twin I'd have booked one not a double.So no "it would not be alright to offer me a twin as we've over booked!" Neither it seems does the customer experience extend to offering an upgrade for loyalty and repeat business; even the manager said NO.

So I'm stuck in a room that is frankly appalling, peeling wallpaper, a tired and tatty desk and two beds and to cap it all no refreshments.

The best thing about it is the pod link to T5 which I cant wait to take to get me out of this place.

Do yourselves a favour,use the convenience of the pod and then walk across to The Premier Inn. Yes it may be a few pounds more but the customer experience is well worth it.

So in a nutshell APPALLING and the manager frankly couldn't give a damn and where I'm about to go for some decent food and a smile secure in the knowledge that the manager will ignore this review and leave me to suffer another night in his hotel that would make the slums look habitable.

Room Tip: Book in the Premier Inn
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Jorgen R, General Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear guest,
I appreciate that this was written just after you had a bad experience and that I was later able to rectify the situation and provide a much improved room. I look forward to welcoming you back and trust that everyone here will make your visit a pleasurable one.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,822)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here in July and decided to write because I stayed in the Premier Inn next door last night. The contrast could not be more stark. The rooms in the Thistle are tired, small and the bathrooms feel unclean. The only positive feature is the access to the pods (with a £5 charge if you please). Or you can stay in larger, exceedingly clean, quiet and comfortable rooms in the Premier Inn. Oh and by the way, there is a free bus which picks up between the two hotels which PI staff were more than happy to assist with. I'll be staying there for the same priced room every single time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Michael H, Manager at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2014

Thank you for you recent comments. I am sorry you didn’t enjoy all of your stay.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

When looking at options to park in Heathrow long term car park or stay the night before an early flight, any convenient hotels were really expensive. I have also been stung by "at the terminal airports" that are 20/30 minutes bus away, which really cancels out benefits.
I found that the staying at the Thistle & parking my car at the hotel, on this occasion, was nearly the same price as long stay parking.
I checked and whilst it was 20 minutes by hoppa bus, it was 5 minutes to Terminal 5 by the pod- happy days.
The pod is a small electronic vehicle that is normally used by business travellers. A little electronic egg, each sitting 4 people and luggage and whites you to the parking beside the terminal, where departures is a lift away. A cross between a funfair ride and a mini dlr- the electronic docklands light railway- a little tetchy fun that is quick.
On arriving at the hotel, I parked in front of the hotel, which is permitted and checked in. The hotel is basic, there is a bar/sandwich coffee area in reception and then a u shaped hotel off reception.
There is a ramp for the first few stairs. If you or your party have mobility problems, do ask for a ground floor room as there are no elevators/lifts in the hotel.
The hotel room was basic, but fine. There was a bit of maintenance needed as there was some new mould above the window inlet- looked like the room above had left. Window opened or rooms don't get aired, not sure which. But that aside, clean, bathroom was fine and bed comfortable.
In the morning, checked out, reminded I had parked for a week and had car park ticket verified for return. Staff are friendly here.
You receive a code for the pod- costs £5, and exit through the rear car park to a rail fence (see car park behind). Enter code, go through and press for terminal 5.
On return, go to business parking with pod emblem and call for "B" which is where thistle is located.
For convenience and price, this was a really good option. Flew back with hubby who got very excited about the pod!
The price was nearly 1/3 of on site hotels and for an extra 5 or so minutes, great. I would advise 2 things: sound proofing of hotel not great but plane noise does settle for night, allow as always extra time for transit as pods get busy, but still better than coaches.

2  Thank roaming13

Many thanks for the great review.

I am glad the hotel worked well as a stopover for you and I am pleased you found the reception team friendly. We have not been working with the POD operator too long but the partnership seems to be working well.

We have recently upgraded our free wifi so it’s now superfast and accessible with just one click anywhere in the hotel.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Accessing Terminal 5 from this hotel is very easy with the Heathrow pod (which is also great fun!). In the morning before the flight, however, the pod was having some technical difficulties and we were stranded in the car park for 20 minutes. That's not the hotels fault, but it's worth considering if that feature is important to you.

The room was clean and comfortable, and the room service food was very good. A previous guest had left a note saying that the shower doesn't work, which housekeeping had obviously missed because it was still there on the desk. The shower did work, it just needed a bit of strength to turn on. The bathroom had been cleaned well, but the sealant on the fixtures has turned black and is badly in need of a refresh.

It does the job perfectly well for a stopover before a flight, I would definitely go again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Many thanks for you comments.

I am pleased the hotel worked well for you, it’s really important that your stay represented value for money. Now we have increased our wifi speed so it’s superfast all over the hotel for free.

I hope you had the opportunity to watch the planes landing on the northern runway at breakfast; this is one of the hotels best features. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I got this hotel through lastminute.com and it was a secret hotel, so I had no idea what I was getting until after I paid; The price was a steal (I booked it just a few hours ahead of arrival).

On arrival, it looked ok. The outside could do with some TLC.

On entry, it improved; Very nice foyer, and the staff were very helpful.

My room was tiny but brilliant! Air conditioned, nice bathroom, good TV and range of channels.

I arrived late, so the restaurants were closed; They have sandwiches and sodas in a fridge in the foyer - they were ok, but nothing great, and pricey. But they did the job.

I took the "pod" from the hotel right to terminal 5, which was a new experience for me, and was much better than trying to drive, find parking, etc.

I would return to this hotel, no problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for the great review.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The property is tired but clean and the interior is far better than the drab exterior. Taking the new pod from T5 to the hotel (£5) is an absolute buzz and I imagine children would love it! However, the outstanding feature of my stay was the professionalism and sheer friendliness of ALL the staff I interacted with - reception, bar and restaurant. They have been exceedingly well trained and not one did not greet me with a smile.

Room Tip: Ask for a runway view, or don't !
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Many thanks for you comments.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Exterior has a great 1970's theme and yes the rooms are a little tired but sit on their roof terrace drink a pint of cold beer and as the sun goes down watch planes take off from the greatest airport in the greatest city in the world - amazing...
Bonus catch the POD into the heart of T5.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VincentPinner

Many thanks for you posted comments.

I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy the view of the airport and planes landing over breakfast. We are working towards fitting a lift into the hotel and part of this project is a bridge to connect all parts of the building.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle London Heathrow hotel where i can assure your stay gets my personal attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Drayton
Park Inn by Radisson Hotel & Conference Centre London Heathrow
Novotel London Heathrow
Novotel London Heathrow
#5 of 12 in West Drayton

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!