“Much room for improvement I'm afraid.”

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Kent, England
“Much room for improvement I'm afraid.”
Reviewed 22 February 2007

I always go into most things with an open mind. So putting the other reviews on this site to one side I did the same when visiting earlier this month. Lesson one - take heed and read the reviews, that's what they are there for! Unfortunately as my visit was business related I had no say on where in the Heathrow area I was to stay.
Perhaps in its heyday this hotel (no doubt not under the Thistle flag then) was a contender. However, standards and expectations over the years have changed. Unfortunately the Thistle hasn't. This hotel is in serious need of investment on a big scale. I'm afraid to say it's shabby on the outside, shabby on the inside.
Check-in was a relatively courteous, painless and efficient affair. However, the standard double room was not worth the attached price-tag that I was luckily enough not having to pay. Probably nearer to one of Heathrow's main runways than most the standard of double glazing in my room gave little comfort in the face of attack from the maximum take-off thrust of 747's and alike. The nightime flight curfew at least afforded me a couple of hours sleep. The upstairs bar, again looking terribly dated, gave little sanctuary for relaxation with booming WWF wrestling on widescreen TV! Breakfast was the usual standard over-priced buffet affair. Check-out again coutreous and effficient.
Sorry, but if transiting Heathrow or looking for an overnight stay before business trip or holiday I would not recommend this particular Thistle. Courteous staff do their best to overcome what can only be described as not a very nice hotel.

• Liked — Rubber ducks in the bathroom!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Indonesian first
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 21 February 2007

Surprisingly bad for a supposedly renown hotel chain and more than $100 per night. Whole building was permeated with a smell of decay. When I got to my room I discovered that behind one of its walls some machinery was operating loudly - sound similar to an old, disintegrating fridge or air con (avoid room 201). Got my room changed to another, no noise this time but same, worn down furniture from the seventies, same dirty windows, same disgusting smell. Worn down bathroom with a fixed shower and no way of regulating the temperature of the water coming out of it. I went to eat something to the restaurant, which was closing down, then to bar that stayed open. Same thing - dimmed lights hiding worn -down furniture and carpets, failing to hide the smell.

In the morning I took off as fast as I could, glad that I didn't include the breakfast when making my reservation. Will never again stay at any Thistle hotel.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Emin
Bargoed, South Wales, UK
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Booked via Holidayextras.com for a family room for x2 adults and a child. room comrised King size bed and a double bed.
Had a great deal, £60 with parking!!!

Room was very clean and comfortable with usual amenities, TV coffee etc. Room had an annex which was handy for storaging out luggage.

The restaurant had an offer for meals, £15 for 3 courses and a bottle of wine. Meal was excellent and generous portions.
The staff were very friendly toward us and most helpful.

Downside-long corridors meant dragging luggage through several fire doors and no porters to assist!

All in all, I would recommend the hotel. FAMILY FRIENDLY

• Liked — Restaurant and comfort of rooms
  • Disliked — Heavy fire doors made hauling luggage an arduous task!
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled with family
Uk
Reviewed 29 January 2007

What can I say about this property other that the fact my advice is NOT to stay here! An hotel like this with 4* rating should be reduced to a bare minimum 2* with immediate effect!

I stayed here for 3 nights (due to work training) and from arrival to departure things were not good.

Check-in consisted of a miserable attendant who decided to go on her break halfway through the check in and "handover" to some other person. By "handing over" I mean throwing paperwork on the desk in front of him and walking off. He apologised and actually was quite nice in giving directions/facts about the hotel.

I proceeded to my room down a mile long corridor which only can be described as something out of a horror movie/1970's Crossroads/brothel which was extremely old/low ceilings/damp/handles missing of doors etc Not a good impression.

I eventually made my way to the room which had worn tatty furniture. The windows were filthy and the whole place was "very very tired". With regard to the bathroom, lets just say I could have brought my pet cat with me, and she would have enjoyed it as there was no room to swing her around!!!!

I noticed a two warning signs that said "Very Hot Water" (more on that later) and "Please keep bathroom door shut as hot steam will set of the smoke alarms" Extractors fans non existant it would seem.

To have a shower I turned on the water and discovered that it was indeed scalding hot and there was no cold......I called reception and she said "Let it run" which I did for fifteen minutes.....and still no cold. I called again and she said it can't be that hot and joked that I would be complaining if it was too cold. Further, I could not change rooms as the hotel was full! I was shocked to be honest, verging on disgusted, but made do.

The bed was comfortable and I had a decent sleep but on the first morning the maids starting coming round at 8am, banging doors etc I had the do not disturb sign up but yet they knocked and asked did I want the room cleaned.....I said yes, but after I leave. For the next hour they were hovering outside my door like the "tormentors in the harry potter movies" banging and making noise and made me uncomfortable...like I shouldn't be in the room or something. God knows how poor people who are trying to get rest after/before a long haul flight can cope with this, not too mention having a shower etc

On checkout the agent simply asked the room number and that was it- dissappearing into the back office...no thank you/goodbye nothing.

Never again at this 2* shack. Never again.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank liquidice
Cardiff
Reviewed 9 January 2007

If you don't want to read this tirade any further, simply take this message - do not stay at this hotel!!!

Okay, so my stay at the Thistle didn't get off to the best of starts, having booked through Priceline only to find that the Thistle had no record of the booking. With hindsight, this was fortunate and I should have recognised this as an omen and slept in my car. My wife would have refused anyway, so we forced the issue and we were offered a room at the price quoted by Priceline. It was 12:30am after all and we'd been travelling for 9 hours.

On approaching the Thistle, you are filled with a sense of foreboding - it has all the charm and attraction of a inter city council estate or scheme. The car park was full, no doubt with vehicles of people flying from the airport, taking advantage of the cheaper parking costs, rather than "guests"!

Forced to park at the back of the hotel, we faced a few hundred yards hike to reception and then another few hundred yards hike to the room. The staff were friendly enough and the booking error was clearly the fault of the Thistle or Priceline. However, the hotel itself was at best unkempt and at worst dilapidated. Carpets were grimy and doors were chipped and battered. Our room was the size and style of one found in an austere residential home for the elderly - the three rubber ducks adorning the bath tub did not detract from the fact that Tom Thumb alone would have comfortably fitted for a soak!

While the rooms are miserable, do not seek solace in the hotel bar, which is about as rough as any I’ve been in. The prices are phenomenal too - £3.60 for a bottle of till water…

An extra feature was the terrifying wake-up call (we had NOT requested) we received at 9:30am when a member of staff entered the room. It was only the fact that I had attached the door chain that prevented this intrusion further.

To add insult to injury, when we checked out in the morning we were informed that we had been given a price exclusive of VAT and so had a further £9 added to our bill.
This hotel is woeful - do not stay here. If you can find no other hotels in the Heathrow area, pitch a tent or sleep in your car. Either way would be preferable to being fleeced at this deplorable dump. Ugly, shoddy, dodgy and pricey!!!

• Liked — Nothing to like about this hotel!
  • Disliked — Hard to say - almost everything was awful
  • Tips/Secrets — Book anywhere else, even the Bates Motel!!!
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank Ratoot
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2007

We approached our night here with some trepidation, having read the reviews on Tripadvisor, and were pleasantly surprised.

We parked in front of the hotel, were well and politely received by reception, shown to our room which, although small, was perfectly adequate. Everything worked and the bathroom was clean with enough towels, (spare in the room wardrobe). The beds were clean and comfortable and we had a very good dinner in the restaurant. The bar was certainly below par, but we had some nice wine with dinner in the airy and pleasant restaurant before turning in for a reasonably early night before our early start in the morning. We were going to terminal 4 and decided to go by taxi which we ordered from reception the night before. It arrived perfectly on time and took us quickly to the terminal. Upon our return three weeks later, a taxi took us right to our car, and we drove away happily.

This is a one night hotel for those using the airport; it does not pretend to be anything else. You should not expect luxury at this price, but with this in mind it delivers perfectly adequately. We were certainly content with the service and the facilities provided to us.

• Liked — plain, simple, acceptable. Close to airport
  • Disliked — the bar
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont expect the world. Accept it for what it is. It's really OK
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDIH
London
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Stayed here overnight in preparation for a local meeting the following day. I had previously a reasonable impression of Thistle Hotels. I will NEVER return to this hotel. Whilst the rooms were passable, my visit was ruined by a visit to the hotel bar. This was VERY run down, with tatty furniture. Parts of it resembled a transport cafe / working mens club. The service was poor, the beer poor and the food disgusting. I ordered a "croque monsieur". I received a ham and cheese sandwich on bread that was well past its best condition. I and my colleague were so shocked and disgusted that we refused to eat anything else in the hotel and in fact went to another hotel for breakfast - the Novotel - excellent. In fairness, I did not sample any of the restaurants or leisure facilities. It was very busy (full) and arriving at 21:00hrs we were surprised at the queue to book in.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!