“Mouldy stay”

Heathrow Lodge
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
“Mouldy stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked this hotel as I had interviews at heathrow mon 28th & tues 29th. I checked in on Sunday 27th. As soon as i walked into the building it stunk of curry. We were given the key and told where the room was. The room was fine. Bog standard room on first glance. However, there was mould everywhere. On the skirting boards, on the window sill, on the curtains. The bed was a queen bed which felt like you were lying on blunt spikes because the springs had gone. I turned over my pillow to find black hair underneath. The "ensuite" was a plastic pod which again was covered in mould. From the moment I entered the room I felt dirty and even went to the shop to buy scented candles and air freshners. After my first interview today 28th April, I returned to the room and felt I could not stay here any longer so I checked out and have just checked into a hotel close by. The staff on reception were polite. But to be honest I would never stay there again. It's not nice when you feel dirty and itchy as soon as you enter a hotel!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Rachaelouise1989

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Arrived at Heathrow at 11PM connecting to an 8:30am flight from terminal 5. I looked for a cheap place that had shuttle service and possibly wifi. The places I saw were about £200 while this one was £30. I knew it would be a shot in the dark, but it seemed better than sleeping in the terminal.

1. Getting to and from the airport.
I was arriving late (11pm), and the hotel's free shuttle would be closed for the night. I saw in one of the reviews that the local bus 423 was free to the hotel and that it was the first stop from Terminal 5. The last busses of the day were around 1 AM, so I felt confident that I would make it. I did. My suggestion is to download the local bus schedule. The hotel shuttle bus back to the airport would take 45 minutes because it stopped first at Terminal 3. The local bus 423 could be taken back to T5 in 5 minutes. Local service was fine and free as advertised.

2. The room. As I said, every good or bad review seems to be true. When I arrived at the front desk, a man was asking for anything to cover the spring sticking through his mattress. He was given another set of towels. My room was across the street. The hotel's business plan seems to be to buy up the houses across the street as they come up for sale. Then the bedrooms are given an individual lock on the door. You share the bathroom with the others in your housing unit, 3 or 4 depending on the house style. It actually seems a reasonable plan.
My room was fine, although the bed was soft. I slept fine for the few hours I was there. Unlike another review, I did have a sink in my room. The bath was reasonable clean. Imagine going to visit your relatives and sleeping in the worst room in their home. That's about it.

3. Overall thoughts.
I would never go there with my wife; she would be the one writing the horrible reviews.
I would go there again by myself. It met my needs and was cheap. I knew that I would get a shower in the morning at the BA lounge in LHR., so I didn't have any problems.
What do people expect for £30?
A backpacker would be satisfied.

Room Tip: I paid £3 more when I booked to have a twin room. I figured there would be more space. There was.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank HistoryandSafety

Travellers are raving about these West Drayton hotels

Walney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

On arrival no one was on the front desk so was hanging around waiting. When I was given room key was told it was across road house no 116 room 1 I understood it to be shared bathroom. But I at least expected a sink in room. On further inspection went upstairs to bathroom. Thankfully I had wet wipes to wash as the bathroom needed a really good clean. The only good point was that it was a 5 min drive to heathrow.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
worcestershire
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Had to work near Heathrow. Could have driven home and start early the following morning. I thought might save a few quid. Really not sure where to start.I could see the springs through the micro thin mattress. The hangers in the wardrobe were all broken.The guy on the desk proudly told me he had upgraded me so had tea/coffee making facillities.....no kettle....was to tired to complain. Saw almost every hour that night because so uncomfortable. (I can sleep on a knife edge) The best advice I can give is " if you stay here you must be BONKERS" I would have had a better nights sleep if I had slept in the car!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank philipandclaire
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I went here as a Heathrow connection to avoid sleeping in the airport. I didn't want much - safe and clean. IT WAS HORRIBLE! I walked in at 8pm to a long line with no one at the front desk. (Apparently he was sorting a room issue but he was gone for 15 minutes.) A woman came screaming out because a RAT had just run by. The room itself had cardboard thin walls, and after hearing a man talk about someone else's key working for his room, I was thoroughly put off. I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Liz N
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I just wanted to rent (not buy) a bed for an overnight between flights. Arrived around 9:30PM and left early the next morning. The room was clean, staff was pleasant, I opted for a private bath which was tiny but functional (although somewhere there is a camper van looking for their shower). The Lodge claims to have a shuttle but I used the (FREE!) city bus both ways. It doesn't run all that often late at night but it worked for me. The bus driver know the Lodge and pointed it out to me from the bus stop. Easy peasy, tidy and quiet enough. If I were spending a few days I'd opt for something closer to town, but for a stop-over it was fine.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you need to sleep during flight times ;-)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank andthenmakesoup
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

46 of us pulled up in a coach at about 8:30pm, having driven down from Hull. We got our room keys, and were pointed toward a variety of houses along the street, as opposed to actual motel rooms. We had booked 22 rooms, varying from "Ensuite Family Room" to "Basic Single Room". Some people found themselves apparently renting a room in someone's house with the person still living there. One guy ended up sleeping on a sofa and got woken up by two Asian ladies (apparent permanent residents) eating dinner at 4am.
Personally, I had Basic Single Room in a house across the road from the reception. I pushed open the front door (no need for my key; it didn't actually lock). In it was a bed, a bedside table, and a hole in the wall with some hangers that I assume was meant to be a closet. There was also a portable CRT TV that received 7 channels, all of them blank blue screens. There was no smoke alarm, but there was a lovely hole that, based on the hair caught in the cracks, someone made with their head. After taking all this in, I decided I didn't trust the bedding, and figured I'd put the complimentary towel over the pillow. I picked up said towel, and the first thing I noticed was the sheer number of holes in it. The second thing I noticed was the pubic hair clinging to it. I quickly dropped the towel in the corner of the room and headed to the bathroom to wash my hands. The bathroom looked like a dungeon. Like, and actual dungeon. Except for the fact that dungeons tend not to have windows that are impossible to close. The back door didn't lock, the front door didn't lock, my bedroom window, overlooking the car park, didn't lock. I went back to my room, and started to get ready for bed. Thankfully the couple upstairs were just friends, and so all I could hear was their entire conversation, as opposed to anything less PG-13. I went to bed, trying to somehow avoid touching the bedsheets. I woke up frequently as people used the Dungeon Look, or went out for a cigarette. I finally gave up at 6am, rolled over to come face-to-face with a beetle who was chilling on the wall next to my face. During the night, the toilet paper had been soaked, so I ventured upstairs in a Quest for Loo Roll. Up there I found two doors. One labelled "Toilet", the other unlabelled. I entered the room labelled "Toilet", only to find that it was just one room, with two doors. Thankfully the other was locked and the room was vacant, or that would have been awkward. When people got locked out, they went to reception to ask to be let in, they were just handed a bunch of keys, presumably to every room, and told "It's one of them".

Room Tip: Helpful tips to chose a good room? Try the Premier Inn down the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Leonardo Hotel London Heathrow Airport
easyHotel London Heathrow
easyHotel London Heathrow
#21 of 23 in Hounslow

Been to Heathrow Lodge? Share your experiences!