“Disgusting - walked in, checked room, walked out again and booked into the Arora instead”
Review of Heathrow Lodge

Heathrow Lodge
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Returning from our honeymoon from the Maldives, my wife and I checked into this hotel. After waiting 35mins for the shuttle bus to turn up the driver lashed our bags into the back and spent another 30mins driving round the airport picking up more people.

On arrival at the hotel, our happy faces soon turned to horror as we saw the disgusting hotel. The carpets are minging, and the place has not been cleaned since they put the concorde picture up in reception in 1982.

We decided to check the room before paying, and we even more horrified to see the room. The bathroom stank of that sour urine smell and the walls, carpets and bed were rancid.

After giving feedback to the guy on reception, he shrugged his shoulders and charged us GBP 60 anyway for the room. Thank god for laterooms.com as we found an excellent hotel room in Arora hotel nearby.

Whatever you do, unless you like living in slums, stay away from this place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WadiRich

Reviewed 14 September 2010

We arrived in England early morning, as usual. We were told that we couldn't check in (which we understood) and that they had nowhere we could leave our luggage (which we did not understand). We had to sit there until a room became ready. The breakfast room was closed (no explanation), so no buffet breakfast @ 6 GBP. Instead, an in-room tray of cereal, croissant, muffin, apple and OJ was 4.5 GBP, a sad start to the day with instant coffee or tea.
Our room was incredibly noisy. The airport shuttle bus was outside our ground floor window and people congregated there. In addition, the rooms are not insulated at all from the hall or neighboring rooms. Everyone seemed to slam doors. We heard them as late as12:45 a.m. and 2:20 a.m. The hotel is on one of the flight paths also, so jet noises are quite loud.
The location is good, as is the price. We booked because of the free shuttle, but without a European cell phone or UK coins, it is difficult to call for the shuttle. The shuttle actually makes no difference, since all hotels on the perimeter road of the airport can be reached via public bus for free.
Spend a bit more to stay elsewhere. You'll sleep better.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

For those who are complaining about this hotel. I have one thing to say, for what you pay and the location this is just an amazing deal!

If you want to spend your whole day sitting in the room, well no this is not for you. We left early in the morning and returned late at night and it was just perfect. Yes you can hear the planes, for Gods sake you're by the airport!

Ok breakfast sucks, but yes you can go to McDonalds. A free bus takes you to Terminal 5 for you to hop on the Underground and go into London. What more could one ask for?

I do think that the place needs some refurbishment. I would gladly take on that project as I myself am an interior designer. :P

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Well, where do i start?

As we got to Heathrow, the man at the desk told us the wrong place to be picked up by the shuttle service. This then involved several treks around the airport.

We arrived and thought "A nice sleep before the best holiday of our lives" HOW WRONG WE WERE!!! The man just pointed us to a small building over the road and that was that. The stairs were narrow and loose handrails made lugging 4 heavy suitcases up it with no assistance such a chore. Then it turns out our family room was switched to two "en-suite" twin rooms. The 'en suite bathroom' was infact across the hall. And the manager tried to charge us extra for this!! He was very ignorant. At least there were pubs serving good food.

Two working bathrooms shared between 20 guests in the "ghost house" as we named it. It was very dark and creepy at night. My sister and I got an hour of sleep due to the "beds" and "pillows" feeling as if they were stuffed with bricks. The bed "linen" was dirty. Tea stains up the wall, not suprised you would be tempted to trash this room. The curtains were also broken and did not close properly. The plug sockets were coming off the walls, I felt a small shock unplugging my iPod!!

IS THIS PLACE HEALTH INSPECTED?

The TV had very bad reception, and our parents' remote was missing. The bed was bearly the size of a small single which is what 2 year olds sleep in. Also the alleged 'double glazed' windows must've been in the main building, as our room rattled when the planes took off, which didn't help sleep.

"Continental" breakfast priced at a RIDICULOUS £6.95 per person consisted of tea, coffee, a TINY box of cereal and a miniscule amount of fruit. INSIDE TIP- Pop to the McDonald's down the road- much tastier breakfast and CHEAPER than that dump. Plus a refreshing walk past the cute cottages.

Thank god we only had to stay for 1 night, and had an early-ish flight, the sooner the better to get out of that dump!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank T0ugh_C00ki3
Reviewed 12 July 2010

For our purpose, a short overnight stay between flights, it was just fine. Absolutely no complaints. The window was double glazed , so minimal aircraft noise. The wake up call was on time. The shuttle was reasonably punctual, both ways...and free to boot. The staff was friendly. The room was clean. The price was very reasonable. I couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sornptrigi
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We originally made a Booking 'On Line' on 17th June through website, but later next day had to cancel as relatives made arrangements to accomodate us. So Cancelled the booking for 25th June well within the time limit, and received an acknowledgement it was done. Two days later when checking Bank Statement noticed a charge of £3.30 had been made by someone or something called Hostel Bookers who, when challenged, said they acted as Booking Agents for Heathrow Lodge, and "The charge that has been made is a non-refundable 10% deposit, which is taken at the time of your booking, to ensure your booking has been made. This 10% deposit goes to HostelBookers, which is agreed by the property, allowing guests to pay the remaining 90% upon arrival. The deposit is non-refundable unless you have taken advantage of the deposit protection, which insures your deposit in case you need to cancel". So despite having Cancelled the booking in accordance with Heathrow Lodges own Comments that cancellations would not be subject to a charge, Hostel Bookers said this was their Non refundable fee, despite the fact it constituted a deposit which would be deducted from final bill.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Since you might not have time to read this whole, long review, let me summarize my key points at the beginning: Do not stay at Heathrow Lodge if you are sensitive to noise, poor mattresses, heat (during the summer), or filth. If you are a light sleeper, avoid this place like the plague, period. Do not stay here if there is any chance it will be hot during your stay (there is no A/C, and if you open the window the plane noises from Heathrow will get in). On the other hand, if you're the backpacker type who can sleep fine in crowded hostels or tents, then by all means stay here. Also, there are very few businesses and no fun places at all within walking distance of this hotel, so do not stay here for extended periods--stay for one or at an absolute maximum two nights.

Now, on to my detailed review:

In spite of the many bad reviews about Heathrow Lodge, I chose to stay here for the last four nights in England because it was cheap and close to the airport. BIG mistake. First of all, the hotel itself is located in a residential neighborhood and consists of a core building that has most of the suites plus two adjacent townhouses that the hotel evidently purchased and converted into hotel rooms. My first two nights at this place, I stayed in one of these converted houses. Not only was my room extremely dirty (worn out rug, stains all over the rug and walls), it also smelled bad (though it wasn't overpowering and I got used to it), the mattresses weren't great, there was no chair or couch, the TV was tiny and only got about ten channels, and my sink made horrible sucking/boiling noises whenever someone used the communal bathroom next to my room (the plumbing pipes were connected). The rug looked so worn out and dirty that I was afraid to walk on it with bare feet.

Worst of all, while I was at Heathrow Lodge, it was about 85 degrees during the day, and none of the rooms were air conditioned. The only way to get the rooms cool is to open the windows and bring in fans, which I did. However, this allows all of the outside noise to get in at night, which is considerable since the hotel is right next to Heathrow Airport and almost directly beneath one of the runway flight paths. The noise is literally deafening from 3pm - 11pm each day when planes take off from the one runway, and only a narcoleptic could sleep through it (seriously). The other 16 hours of the day, it's still noisy but bearable for some people. Even without the planes, you've still got the sounds of road traffic (one one side of Heathrow Lodge there is a road busy with three bus lines, and on the other side through some trees there is a busy highway) and people slamming car doors outside in the parking lot to go to Heathrow Airport at odd hours like five in the morning.

Even with the windows closed, staying in the converted house was still pretty noisy. The walls were poorly insulated and the doors were too thin, meaning I could hear it really clearly whenever another guest opened or closed their door in the hallway or went to use the communal bathroom.

The room where I stayed the first two nights also didn't have a telephone. Since my U.S. cell phone didn't work in Britain, I naturally went down to the front desk to ask them if I could use their phone to make some quick local calls. While some of the front desk people were reasonable about this and let me do it, others were not, and I was told more than once to walk a couple blocks down the street to a pay phone if I wanted to call someone. Once I did this only to find that the pay phone was broken, so I went back to the front desk, told them what happened, and again asked to use their phone. The guy looked at me for a second, looked at the desk phone right in front of his hand, and then looked at me again and said that I should walk down the street even farther to McDonald's where there was a second pay phone. I'm not joking about that. I ended up asking the cleaning lady for her cell phone, which she agreed to.

I slept VERY badly my first two nights, and to their credit, the front desk guy took pity on me and upgraded me for free to a nicer room in the main building. My bed was more comfortable (though still not great), my TV was bigger, the furniture was nicer, I actually had a chair, everything was much cleaner, and I had my own bathroom, which actually wasn't that bad. Still, it got hot at night, and I had to open the windows to cool the place down, which led to the noise as I discussed earlier. I also had a phone in my room, though it wasn't much use since the front desk guy told me that it would be "really expensive" for me to use it even for local calls.

While Heathrow Lodge is located really close to the airport, it's not near anything else except for two pubs full of middle-aged people, an industrial park, McDonald's, and a gas station. No bars, no museums, no tourist sites, no interesting neighborhoods, zip, nada. Again, I'm being dead serious here. If you're staying at Heathrow Lodge and you want to get somewhere important, you're going to the airport and then taking the Tube for at least an hour.

Dealing with the people at the front desk could also be a real pain. First of all, the front desk is at the end of a narrow hallway, making it a sort of alcove. At most two people will be working behind the desk at any given time, and only one of them will ever deal with customers. This means you always have to wait in line for a couple minutes before being able to deal with them. This was especially problematic during my stay thanks to the heat, which seemed especially bad right around the front desk, perhaps thanks to the building's internal layout. The place is also staffed about 90% with Indian people who aren't the most polite or customer-oriented.

After the third night--during which I didn't sleep at all--I ended up checking out a day early from Heathrow Lodge. They wouldn't refund my money for the last day even though they knew I had been having major problems sleeping there, but by that point I didn't care and just wanted to get out. I have seriously had much better experiences at hostels (better quality and prices) than I have at Heathrow Lodge, and the place definitely stands out as one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at in my life. True, some of the problems were particular to me, and I can see how hardier people--especially the backpacker/hobo types--wouldn't mind the place at all. But if you're not one of those people, please PLEASE carefully consider everything I have written here. I would hate for anyone to go through what I went through.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Sofitel London Heathrow
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Ibis London Heathrow Airport

Been to Heathrow Lodge? Share your experiences!