“Anniversary Mini Break”
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I do not normally write many reviews online and in fact this is my first on Trip Advisor (although I have been using the great reviews on here for years). I stayed here this month (based on the consistent 4-5 star reviews seen on here) I enjoyed it so much I found myself looking to book another few nights back in this hotel, that is when I saw the negative review on the hotel below. Having enjoyed my stay so much where the staff did there absolute best to make my anniversary mini break for myself and wife the best in our 13 years married, I feel the least I can do is write a review from my personal experience whilst staying here (rather than what I would assume would be the personal attack below?).
We did not have lunch in the hotel as we wanted to experience other options locally especially as we wanted to be out and about exploring the beautiful castles and countryside nearby, the manager was even kind enough to make personal recommendations on local alternatives to eat at. We did however have breakfast and dinner on both days of our stay. The service was personal and friendly and food was delightful and very well priced, as a professional chef for a London based hotel I feel that this is the one area that I can review well. I also (being a little OCD) will not eat anywhere less than a 4 out of 5 on the governments health and hygiene food compliance scheme, the Angel received a 5 out of 5. This led to my only criticism of the hotel which was they should be advertising even more about this as not enough people are aware of the “scores on the door” system (http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/angel-hotel-west-sussex-560167.html).
Our room was well maintained, very clean and was as expected (from the many other reviews on here) full of character, I am however unable to comment on the other rooms having only seen this one, but it was at the front of the hotel and although the high street was busy the noise was nicely muted inside. We will be returning for our anniversary again next year.

On return I will come back and write another response to inform of any changes.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Recently stayed for 2 nights at the Angel with my Wife and 10 year old Daughter. We found it to be very clean and tidy with a lot of character. The staff we very helpful, pleasant and friendly. The Hotel is in an ideal spot for venturing out for visits to Cowdrey (walking distance in fact) or Goodwood only a short 10 minute car journey with the south cast only about 30 minutes away.
You can take in all the sites during the day and retire to the hotel for what we found to be a very pleasant meal in the Hotel and a relaxing drink in the Bar. Will be returning in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dean L
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Just stayed at an apartment in the court yard, so the Angel Hotel was ideally positioned for lunch and drinks. Past reviews have said that the menu is limited we found both the bar and dinning menu had everthing you would want and the food was delicious. Staff were friendly and very welcoming making it a very relaxing place to be.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beryl B
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Just had a delightful short break at the Angel Hotel, it was just what we wanted. The staff were friendly and super helpful, food was great and the relaxing atmosphere all contributed to a chilled out break in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sh3ldon
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The Angel was a lovely place with a lot of character and a stones throw away from the beautiful Cowdray ruins, which we recommend viewing. The bar area was very cosy with the burning open fire place and comfortable seating. The bedroom was clean, tidy and well furnished, and included all the amenities needed.
Our stay included a three course meal and breakfast, the dinner was very nice, especially the scallops.
Overall we were pleased with our stay, and would go back in the future.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J R
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had a very delightful stay at the Angel Hotel. Lovely staff, friendly and helpful. The whole hotel was spotless with a very charming atmosphere. As for the food, well what can I say! It was amazing!! I did try to persuade the chef to come home with me but alas I couldn't tempt him. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were located in the front of the hotel. The road is quite busy with traffic and people but we sti...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lillibet4418
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My wife and I have just spent 2 nights at this lovely old inn. The staff were very friendly and the room was as expected for an inn of this age- charming, atmospheric and with wonky floors! Ok the shower could do with a blue pill to energise it a bit but that is the only minor criticism, everything was clean and welcoming. The food was excellent - a great place to stay if you are in the area - even during a cold wet February.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 963RogerG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
#2 of 7 in Arundel
Chequers Hotel
Chequers Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pulborough

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!