“One of the best country hotels I have stayed at 10/10”
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Southampton, United Kingdom
“One of the best country hotels I have stayed at 10/10”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed here with my wife and I have to firstly thank Dave and all the staff as they were quite simply brilliant and nothing at all was a problem.

Great service and great food and such a lovely atmosphere and in the best location possible to explore the very pretty small town of Midhurst. the ruins and cowdray park are a must and you are also very close to the South Downs and Chichester

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone and look forward to my next visit :) 10/10.

Having read all the other reviews I am also shocked to see the report from bertierochelle, almost seems like a personal attack on the establishment and so untrue.

Enjoy

Brian

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BryonHill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Penryn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a party in January. The atmosphere and the surroundings of the newly laid out restaurant and bar area made it the ideal venue for all 80 of us. Every effort to ensure a fabulous evening was no trouble at all for the landlord and friendly attentive staff. If anyone wishes for a stay in a truly British village hotel. This is the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I do not normally write many reviews online and in fact this is my first on Trip Advisor (although I have been using the great reviews on here for years). I stayed here this month (based on the consistent 4-5 star reviews seen on here) I enjoyed it so much I found myself looking to book another few nights back in this hotel, that is when I saw the negative review on the hotel below. Having enjoyed my stay so much where the staff did there absolute best to make my anniversary mini break for myself and wife the best in our 13 years married, I feel the least I can do is write a review from my personal experience whilst staying here (rather than what I would assume would be the personal attack below?).
We did not have lunch in the hotel as we wanted to experience other options locally especially as we wanted to be out and about exploring the beautiful castles and countryside nearby, the manager was even kind enough to make personal recommendations on local alternatives to eat at. We did however have breakfast and dinner on both days of our stay. The service was personal and friendly and food was delightful and very well priced, as a professional chef for a London based hotel I feel that this is the one area that I can review well. I also (being a little OCD) will not eat anywhere less than a 4 out of 5 on the governments health and hygiene food compliance scheme, the Angel received a 5 out of 5. This led to my only criticism of the hotel which was they should be advertising even more about this as not enough people are aware of the “scores on the door” system (http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/angel-hotel-west-sussex-560167.html).
Our room was well maintained, very clean and was as expected (from the many other reviews on here) full of character, I am however unable to comment on the other rooms having only seen this one, but it was at the front of the hotel and although the high street was busy the noise was nicely muted inside. We will be returning for our anniversary again next year.

On return I will come back and write another response to inform of any changes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Recently stayed for 2 nights at the Angel with my Wife and 10 year old Daughter. We found it to be very clean and tidy with a lot of character. The staff we very helpful, pleasant and friendly. The Hotel is in an ideal spot for venturing out for visits to Cowdrey (walking distance in fact) or Goodwood only a short 10 minute car journey with the south cast only about 30 minutes away.
You can take in all the sites during the day and retire to the hotel for what we found to be a very pleasant meal in the Hotel and a relaxing drink in the Bar. Will be returning in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dean L
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Just stayed at an apartment in the court yard, so the Angel Hotel was ideally positioned for lunch and drinks. Past reviews have said that the menu is limited we found both the bar and dinning menu had everthing you would want and the food was delicious. Staff were friendly and very welcoming making it a very relaxing place to be.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beryl B
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Just had a delightful short break at the Angel Hotel, it was just what we wanted. The staff were friendly and super helpful, food was great and the relaxing atmosphere all contributed to a chilled out break in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sh3ldon
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

The Angel was a lovely place with a lot of character and a stones throw away from the beautiful Cowdray ruins, which we recommend viewing. The bar area was very cosy with the burning open fire place and comfortable seating. The bedroom was clean, tidy and well furnished, and included all the amenities needed.
Our stay included a three course meal and breakfast, the dinner was very nice, especially the scallops.
Overall we were pleased with our stay, and would go back in the future.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Crouchers Hotel
Crouchers Hotel
#2 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!