“Disappointing”

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I visited he hotel earlier this year and felt I should come back for another meal as it was so good earlier on in February.
My review was submitted to praise the hotel and food.
It was not the same place, there is severe shortage of staff and the menu was very poor, not even a hot soup on the menu.
I ordered a steak asked for it rare it came as a tough piece of shoe leather with no vegatables I asked to have the lamb instead which was also over cooked and deep fried.
My partner dinner was not much better and we had so looked forward to having a repeat dinner of the standard we had previously.
The menu needs to be sorted out very poor choice and get some more staff who are trained.
I will certainly not be returning for food here, the hotel itself yes.

1  Thank Anna88402
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Please contact me directly - had I known about this at the time I would have corrected immediately. I take a great deal of pride dealing with complaints personally.
We have our summer menu at present and have never served hot soup at this time of year. I agree the weather has been a little tricky of recent.
Our beef is supplied by a local farm and they are on their way to me now. to carry out a full investigation.
The lamb is three different cuts and cooked in three different ways, one slow cooked, one deep fried and one pan fried.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We recently stayed for two nights in this very old hotel with a very modern spa. The hotel itself is extremely characterful due to the age of the property and I can understand some of the comments regarding the bathroom, we did not have a shower as such, only a hand held one in the bath, which possibly should be advised before booking, but if you go for a swim the showers etc in there are great so not too much of a problem. All of the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and more than happy to help with anything required. I asked for an iron and it was delivered to my room absolutely immediately!
The only comment I would make was that there did not seem to be any system at breakfast for the staff knowing whether or not your order had been taken, Breakfast was busy as warned in the literature in your room so there was a bit of a wait, for some longer than others due to the ad hoc ordering. Not too much of a problem unless you are in a hurry.
Lovely cookies!

Room Tip: Ask what facilities are in the room as they all appear to be different i.e. bath, bath with fixed sh...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Thank you for the kind comments and the constructive amendment needed at breakfast. I know exactly what happened and I have spoken to all concerned, they must not leave it to one person! I hope the 'Italian man' did not sing too loudly.
Our warm wishes and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We only had one night here but would loved to have stayed longer. Its a beautiful hotel and the atmosphere was lovely. Our room was the garden room and we were very comfortable. The bathroom wasn't great but they rarely are in these old English hotels - they simply can't do showers! We had dinner with a group of friends and family and thought the food was delicious.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Point noted about the shower, we have some work to do. Thank you for the great comments we hope to see you soon, though it may be a bit far?
Sun is out warm weather on its way, thankfully. Our best wishes

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We recently spent a couple of nights at the Spread Eagle on a great dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The hotel is charming and our four poster room was very comfortable, despite the quirky floorboards. However the carpet was very shabby and stained which let it down a little. The dining ambience on the first night and morning were lovely, with a fabulous young waiter who was polite and attentive. However the food was only average and certainly not to the standard I’d expect for the prices. If we weren’t on a deal it certainly wouldn’t have been worth the money.

Additionally, it was only possible to get sandwiches on room service if the restaurant wasn’t open. For a hotel of this class I expected better.

On the second night and morning the dining room was considerably busier but not excessively so. However, we felt rushed through our evening meal, with wine glasses being overfilled, and wine slopped over the side as if the waiter couldn’t wait to get rid of us. The following morning my partner’s breakfast plate was whipped away whilst I was still eating - and mine was subsequently removed whilst I was still chewing my last mouthful!

For a relaxing break, I came away not as relaxed as I could have been, having stayed in less prestigious establishments but treated better. I must single out the bar manager lady as being absolutely WONDERFUL though, with a pleasant manner, lovely sense of humour and great customer service. She is an absolute gem. The spa facilities are adequate but changing rooms very small for more than 6 people at a time. All in all, the hotel is delightful but I would expect better food and less rushed service for the money.

1  Thank MTMLondon
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to note down the inconsistencies, it is vey much appreciated and we have all sat down this morning and been through the drop off's in food service. Not normal and I will bring it back to standard.
The lady in the bar has already read this and is over the moon thank you. Thank you also for the other positve points they are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stumbled over the Spread Eagle hotel on our last two nights in England and had an unforgettable stay there! Good restaurant, comfortable room, fantastic lounge with a log fire burning and a spa that just suited our needs. The staff were efficient and friendly and we came away feeling that we had had a relaxing stay with good food and a wonderful atmosphere! Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thank you, this was most welcome and we do look forward to welcoming you back soon, hopefully without the rain!
Warm wishes

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Spread Eagle Hotel for an overnight stay as part of a birthday celebration. We received a very warm welcome and our room was lovely and comfortable, soft furnhings were traditional and homely. The bed was very comfortable - unfortuately we did not have a shower in the bathroom. We spent time in the spa - small but well equipped and the staff were efficent and friendly. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was OK - we have visited this hotel before and found the food then to be a much higher quality and delicious. My husband certainly missed the fabulous cheese selection he experienced on during our last stay. The restaurant, food and staff seemed to lack sparkle and warmth, and flavour. Our stay was good in many parts but left feeling it lacking.

Room Tip: We have only stayed in the oldest part of the hotel - rooms are very individual and beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your constructive comments. We have had quite a few amendments to our service and menu's throughout the hotel, rest assured the quality is the same if not better and all the produce is local. I like the point about our cheese trolley and I will put it back in service, we do of course still have all the cheeses you have been used to in the past.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Our warm wishes

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife and I had an overnight stay at this hotel with dinner and breakfast. We've been coming to the Spread Eagle since 1985, mainly for Sunday lunch and have always enjoyed a high standard of service and food. We had no reason to not expect the same this time, but we were disapointed with the standard of cleanliness of our room for which we paid £50 extra to have the Courtyard Room with the four poster bed and olde worlde charm. Having checked in, we had a swim in the spa pool which was excellent and of high standard. Back at our room we left our swimming costumes over the edge of the bath to dry (a mini spin dryer in the spa would have been a nice touch) and some water drips went on the laminate floor. I proceeded to wipe the floor with some tissues and was horrifed at the amount of dirt and black hairs that were present on the tissues. We then check the rest of the bedroom and thick films of dust were on all of the surfaces. Also the carpet was worn to the canvas in one place and the bed spread was also worn through at the end of the bed. I immediately went to reception to explain our concerns and was given the key to The White room (also a four poster) and the transformation was amazing. So top marks for the recptionist for providing an alternative without a quibble. The other item that was really disappointing was the lack of white tablecloths in the dining room. All our previous visits over the past 27 years experienced crisp white table cloths that made this hotel one better than the next. The hard wood table tops gave this first class restaurant a pub-like feel and definitely not in keeping with its history. The dinner menu was quite lmited on main courses, but food was very good. Breakfast was excellent (thanks Mario). On checking out, the bill was overcharged by £70 but was instantly put right. I think that the only way to entice us back is to bring back the steak and kidney puddings that disapeared about 15 years ago..........another great loss!!! We do love this hotel but things just aren't what they used to be, shame. Mr & Mrs Gibson.

Room Tip: View the room first and do a quick cleanliness check
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to note down the issues and I am please our receptionist was alert, I apologise again for the issues. I have put these on priority.
The steak and kidney pudding is still available but in the 'pudding' season, however with this wretched weather we are experiencing it should be expected to be on the menu! The fires are roaring as I write. Nathan normally puts it on the menu from October.
Finally we are 580 years old they did not have table cloths then so perhaps we are returning to the old days! The decision to move to solid oak table tops was not taken lightly and much soul searching occurred. But needless to say your point is gratefully recieved.
Many thanks for the comments
With warm wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Climping
Crouchers Hotel
Crouchers Hotel
#2 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!