“A place of elegance and beauty upheld by the wonderful staff and ambience.”

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
London, United Kingdom
“A place of elegance and beauty upheld by the wonderful staff and ambience.”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I first stayed here before our marriage, and have subsequently spent many further glorious and tranquil visits. We are delighted to return in a couple of weeks for our 10th Wedding Anniversary.
Everytime we have stayed at the hotel, the staff have excelled in every way to personalise our stay to fit our needs and requirements. We have recommended the hotel to many friends and family members who all have concurred with our love for this hotel.
Many thanks to staff and hotel management for maintaining a quintessential english hotel

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and well presented but splash out on an occasion and go for the White Room or an...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Many many thanks wonderful to have you back again. I am so pleased we are still up there with everyone else.
Looking forward to the next visit.
Our warmest wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed here on a boiling hot May weekend and had a really good time. The hotel staff were all super and very accomodating. A couple of nights was enough for us, but we made the most of the facilities and its a good place if you fancy a break from London for the weekend. Its very old and traditional so if you like uber sleek and modern/minimalist hotels, then this may not be for you, but we found it charming and very relaxing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for the comments and understanding the Spread Eagle experience. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Warm wishes
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed two nights in July. Lovely older-style hotel, nice room, bed, bath etc. super indoor pool. Downside is willing but not well trained staff serving basic quality pub type food at inflated upmarket prices! Stay, enjoy, but eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask where the room is situated if stairs are a problem for you.
Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Thank you for the kind comments. As I said to you I want to make amends and prove we are better than mentioned. I hope you have time soon to return and for us to regain your understanding in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Our warm wishes
Felpham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I visited he hotel earlier this year and felt I should come back for another meal as it was so good earlier on in February.
My review was submitted to praise the hotel and food.
It was not the same place, there is severe shortage of staff and the menu was very poor, not even a hot soup on the menu.
I ordered a steak asked for it rare it came as a tough piece of shoe leather with no vegatables I asked to have the lamb instead which was also over cooked and deep fried.
My partner dinner was not much better and we had so looked forward to having a repeat dinner of the standard we had previously.
The menu needs to be sorted out very poor choice and get some more staff who are trained.
I will certainly not be returning for food here, the hotel itself yes.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna88402
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Please contact me directly - had I known about this at the time I would have corrected immediately. I take a great deal of pride dealing with complaints personally.
We have our summer menu at present and have never served hot soup at this time of year. I agree the weather has been a little tricky of recent.
Our beef is supplied by a local farm and they are on their way to me now. to carry out a full investigation.
The lamb is three different cuts and cooked in three different ways, one slow cooked, one deep fried and one pan fried.
Hereford
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We recently stayed for two nights in this very old hotel with a very modern spa. The hotel itself is extremely characterful due to the age of the property and I can understand some of the comments regarding the bathroom, we did not have a shower as such, only a hand held one in the bath, which possibly should be advised before booking, but if you go for a swim the showers etc in there are great so not too much of a problem. All of the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and more than happy to help with anything required. I asked for an iron and it was delivered to my room absolutely immediately!
The only comment I would make was that there did not seem to be any system at breakfast for the staff knowing whether or not your order had been taken, Breakfast was busy as warned in the literature in your room so there was a bit of a wait, for some longer than others due to the ad hoc ordering. Not too much of a problem unless you are in a hurry.
Lovely cookies!

Room Tip: Ask what facilities are in the room as they all appear to be different i.e. bath, bath with fixed sh...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for the kind comments and the constructive amendment needed at breakfast. I know exactly what happened and I have spoken to all concerned, they must not leave it to one person! I hope the 'Italian man' did not sing too loudly.
Our warm wishes and hope to see you soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We only had one night here but would loved to have stayed longer. Its a beautiful hotel and the atmosphere was lovely. Our room was the garden room and we were very comfortable. The bathroom wasn't great but they rarely are in these old English hotels - they simply can't do showers! We had dinner with a group of friends and family and thought the food was delicious.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Point noted about the shower, we have some work to do. Thank you for the great comments we hope to see you soon, though it may be a bit far?
Sun is out warm weather on its way, thankfully. Our best wishes
London
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We recently spent a couple of nights at the Spread Eagle on a great dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The hotel is charming and our four poster room was very comfortable, despite the quirky floorboards. However the carpet was very shabby and stained which let it down a little. The dining ambience on the first night and morning were lovely, with a fabulous young waiter who was polite and attentive. However the food was only average and certainly not to the standard I’d expect for the prices. If we weren’t on a deal it certainly wouldn’t have been worth the money.

Additionally, it was only possible to get sandwiches on room service if the restaurant wasn’t open. For a hotel of this class I expected better.

On the second night and morning the dining room was considerably busier but not excessively so. However, we felt rushed through our evening meal, with wine glasses being overfilled, and wine slopped over the side as if the waiter couldn’t wait to get rid of us. The following morning my partner’s breakfast plate was whipped away whilst I was still eating - and mine was subsequently removed whilst I was still chewing my last mouthful!

For a relaxing break, I came away not as relaxed as I could have been, having stayed in less prestigious establishments but treated better. I must single out the bar manager lady as being absolutely WONDERFUL though, with a pleasant manner, lovely sense of humour and great customer service. She is an absolute gem. The spa facilities are adequate but changing rooms very small for more than 6 people at a time. All in all, the hotel is delightful but I would expect better food and less rushed service for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MTMLondon
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to note down the inconsistencies, it is vey much appreciated and we have all sat down this morning and been through the drop off's in food service. Not normal and I will bring it back to standard.
The lady in the bar has already read this and is over the moon thank you. Thank you also for the other positve points they are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!