“Our 1st anniversary break at the Spread Eagle”

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
“Our 1st anniversary break at the Spread Eagle”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

For our first anniversary my husband and I decided to pamper ourselves and were recommended the Spread Eagle by a friend who had stayed here quite a while ago. I am pleased to report that the beautiful building some of which date's back to the 1400's was a charming place to spend some valuable time together. We made full use of the very modern spa facilities, the swimming pool is a little small but perfectly adequate for the size of hotel and the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were all fab! We both enjoyed treatments on our anniversary day itself and the staff were friendly and relaxed, the treatments are quite pricy but we both enjoyed our facial and massage and were well looked after.
Dinner was a little disappointing, I think I was expecting more because of the two rosettes it has from the AA Restaurant Guide, and we have been spoilt living in London. Towards the end of our stay the food did improve however and the breakfast was consistently good. My husband commented on how good the coffee was and was promptly given a bag by the waiter to take home! The staff in the restaurant are really friendly and after a few days our usual drinks were remembered which is a lovely touch! Drinks in the lounge are a must, the lovely bar lady we spoke to has been working at the hotel for something like 35 years and told us the beams in the ceiling are from an old ship and date back even earlier than the bar itself. Sitting next to a ticking Grandfather clock and sipping our drinks was a little slice of heaven!
We stayed in one of the traditional rooms and I was a little taken aback to how small they are, but they are incredibly old and high in the ceiling rafters so we had the slanted roof to contend with! The bathroom was very modern and the shower was brilliant, I even had my own dressing table which I loved! The decor is a little tired and neither here nor there, not luxury and modern nor purposefully twee, just dated.
If I lived in Midhurst I would definitely go back to use the spa and have drinks with friends in the lounge bar. The food is very expensive for what you get so would give this a miss, overall we really enjoyed our stay mainly thanks to the great staff and the spa facilities.

Room Tip: Room 21 has a great shower and dressing table!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Happy Anniversary - thank you for the kind comments and pointers. I will work no the drop off''s to make for a better stay.
Warm wishes see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My sister bought both of us day Spa pass’s including 2 treatments as a gift and we were both very much looking forward to it. However the day started badly the moment we arrived. We were slightly later arriving than hoped due to traffic so was pleased when i saw a parking place close to the entrance. However we were just taking our bags of the car when a burgundy car drove up behind and a gentleman got out of the passenger side. He came over and requested we move the car. I was a little confused with this as there was no reserved sign or other indication we were unable to park there. When i expressed this and explained we were hotel guests he just told us that the man in the car wanted to park there. By this time i was starting to get rather stressed but again explained i didn’t understand why i couldn’t park there. He then said that the man in the car was the manager of the hotel and wanted to park his car there as it was GoodWood that weekend. At no time did the man in the car bother to get out of the vehicle to help try and resolve the situation he just sat in his car watching guests becoming quite distressed. In the end we were so late that i just moved my car as i didn’t have time to argue (i was already late for my treatments). I still have no idea why the manager was so insistent he wanted his car there as he never expalined he just demanded i move.

As you can imagine i was not in a very good mood when i arrived in the spa however the spa staff did everything possible to ensure our stay was a enjoyable possible and i would like to commend them on that, however the facilities were not the ‘luxury spa’ as advertised. My treatment room was very noisy with children screaming outside and behind me a bottle bank being emptied and regular foot traffic, there was also a bright spotlight shining directly down on me whilst i was having my treatments, which as you can imagine was not conducive to a relaxing massage or facial.

We then went for lunch only to find another problem. The inclusive menu was very limited with only 3 choices none of which we liked. Therefore we requested to know if we could choose something of the normal menu and pay the difference. The bar staff made us feel like we were causing a huge fuss and it was a huge deal to be able to enjoy the food rather than just settle for what was offered. We eventually choose the homemade burger however nobody asked us how we wanted it cooked. When it arrived it was well cooked on the outside but totally raw inside, i couldn’t eat this therefore asked for it to be cooked more at which point they just put it in the microwave and returned it to the table.

This was not the relaxing spa day as advertised!!!!!
I have written since to HS hotels to complain about the above but nobody has bothered to resopnd.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank natasha b
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
I am sorry for the series of events. I have received no previous communication from you in connection to the above. Had I done I would have replied immediately as I do with all concerns. Please contact me directly.
I have looked into the issues and amended our shortfalls. Sadly this was not my car - as pointed out by you it belonged to another guest attending Goodwood Motoring Festival and had reserved this parking area.
Horsham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed back in February and had a lovely time. The hotel has lots of character and the staff were very friendly - I felt very relaxed and comfortable as the hotel is not pretentious. The food was also excellent and there was a great choice for breakfast and lots of it!. The spa area is good but it is a bit tired looking and could do with general updating. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you for your kind and direct comments. I will get onto it - you may not have realised but we have changed our product in the Spa to Temple Spa - we hope this has given some fresher appeal to our spa. We look forward to seeing you soon. Warm wishes
Epsom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I love the Spread Eagle. They do excellent deals and we took advantage of the a la carte frenzy offer. The hotel is stunning, dating back to the 1400's with friendly, attentive staff, a relaxing spa and great food. If you like historic buildings, good service and quality chill out time, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Wonderful I am pleased we can still do the wonderful deal. More promotions are always avaialble at our website. Hoping for good weather our warm wishes
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

An excellent mid week overnight stay and the relaxing Spa experience. Dinner and breakfast were up to the usual high Spread Eagle standard. I have been a customer for 40 years and though Management has changed from time to time the standards have remained roughly the same. I am also a user of the sister hostelries at Ockenden Manor and Bailiffs Court and find the welcoming the same in all three.

Room Tip: Egremont Room is superb!
1 Thank Tex P
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
This is really appreciated, thank you. I am pleased we have managed to remain so close to you and for so long. Thank you for your trust and support. Congratulations with our warmest wishes
Sussex
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed at the Spread Eagle over the weekend and would definitely recommend it if you are the sort of traveller who values personalised, warm and friendly service and lovely traditional surroundings.

We took advantage of the 'A la carte frenzy' offer and considered it really excellent value: we had a lovely room on the top floor which had loads of character (beams, fireplace etc) but also benefitted from a beautifully modernised bathroom as well as being kitted out with an air conditioning unit which was certainly beneficial in the sweltering August heat!

The deal included champagne and dinner, which, contrary to some of comments on trip advisor, we found to be really excellent and of a very high standard; thoroughly delicious and beautifully presented. Breakfast was also very good, with a wide range of options and we also enjoyed some time relaxing in the spa.

The over riding memory of our time at the Spread Eagle was the way we were made to feel very welcome - the staff there were all excellent and nothing was too much trouble. It made for a relaxing and enjoyable stay and we would definitely return - especially with super deals like this one!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SussexFoodAddict_12
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Many thanks for the constructive views and thank you for the kind comments, great pointers.
Look forward to seeing you both soon, with our warmest wishes and thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

Given the cross section of reviews, this hotel must have a standard of hotel room which are like the 'curate's egg' - good in parts. Unfortunately, we were given a dusty and very grubby room at the front of the hotel, over the entrance. The bathroom was even worse than the YMCA and patched up in an a shoddy piece of workmanship. Dining was the sort of tasteless food which may have had its heyday on the M1 services and was delivered with absolutely no grace at all - not acceptable or good value for money for a hotel of this alleged standard. The pool was very small and crowded and the grounds non existence, if you discount a large tarmacked car park. We will not be going back, even for the discounted rate of several hundred pounds per night HB. Stay in a good local BB and leave happy.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Choixchoi
Thank you for the comments, such a shame you did not take the time to speak to us in person. We are in Midhurst and we do nothing to promote the detail differently. I am sorry we did not achieve your expectations. As with everything nowadays costs are rising.
Our wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!