“Charming and lovely”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
surrey
“Charming and lovely”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We have been to the Spread Eagle a few times over the years; recently, we went and booked the Queens suite as a treat for the 2 of us; unfortunately childcare let us down and we ended up going with 3 of our children!

The hotel were great as ever, and accommodated them with z-beds with nothing being too much trouble (I would suggest at the price for the Queen Suite that it shouldn't be!). Notwithstanding that, it is a wonderful room with annexe/sitting area, and in a lovely part of the hotel.

My fiance had treatments at the spa, and the children and I occupied ourselves in the swimming pool.

All in all, the hotel is a lovely place to spend some relaxed time, lovely staff, lovely food and worth the occasional splurge!

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Queens Suite is special
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
We are so happy that you had a good time and the Queens Suite provided some rest bite. Great to see you again looking forward to the next. All our wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I treated our grand daughter to a stay and visit to the spa, she lives in London so it was a chance to catch up. We had a wonderful stay. A pretty twin bedded room at the top of the house. Our light lunch in the bar was well served, nothing was too much trouble. We relaxed in the spa. Dinner was delicious, vegetarian options really enjoyed by my grand daughter. We slept well and had a relaxing breakfast before we departed, we agreed we would be back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Such pleasing comments - thank you do come back soon. Best wishes to you both
Bath, England
Reviewed 14 September 2012

A family dinner was the occasion, the evening before a day at The Goodwood Revival meeting.

This was our first visit, but not that of our son who had raved about this restaurant before and who was treating us on this occasion. Could it be that good ? It certainly could and indeed it was.

Drinks were taken in a wonderfully atmospheric and comfortable beamed bar, served by exceptionally friendly and attentive staff and menus accompanied the drinks giving ample time to peruse the choices available.

On first appearances the menu appeared to be a little limited but after studying it for a while it was immediately apparent that there were adequate items on the menu to choose from. Also available at the time of our visit was a 'Revival Special' menu which added to the dishes available.

Drinks consumed, we were led to our table in the rather formal looking dining room and soon after taking our seats and having our serviettes place on our laps, always a service I believe is carrying the formality too far, the wine and then our food were brought to the table.

If the serviette placing was formality taken a little too far everything else about the evening was totally relaxed. The food arrived promptly, the service was efficiently watched over with military precision by the restaurant team and it was presented wonderfully and was also of exquisite taste.

No hesitation here, can we please go again and next time we'll even pay, just to repeat the experience.

Room Tip: Restaurant review only
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Wonderful great to see new generations. Thank you for the kind and honest observations. Look forward to seeing you soon. Warm wishes
Reviewed 30 August 2012

For our first anniversary my husband and I decided to pamper ourselves and were recommended the Spread Eagle by a friend who had stayed here quite a while ago. I am pleased to report that the beautiful building some of which date's back to the 1400's was a charming place to spend some valuable time together. We made full use of the very modern spa facilities, the swimming pool is a little small but perfectly adequate for the size of hotel and the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were all fab! We both enjoyed treatments on our anniversary day itself and the staff were friendly and relaxed, the treatments are quite pricy but we both enjoyed our facial and massage and were well looked after.
Dinner was a little disappointing, I think I was expecting more because of the two rosettes it has from the AA Restaurant Guide, and we have been spoilt living in London. Towards the end of our stay the food did improve however and the breakfast was consistently good. My husband commented on how good the coffee was and was promptly given a bag by the waiter to take home! The staff in the restaurant are really friendly and after a few days our usual drinks were remembered which is a lovely touch! Drinks in the lounge are a must, the lovely bar lady we spoke to has been working at the hotel for something like 35 years and told us the beams in the ceiling are from an old ship and date back even earlier than the bar itself. Sitting next to a ticking Grandfather clock and sipping our drinks was a little slice of heaven!
We stayed in one of the traditional rooms and I was a little taken aback to how small they are, but they are incredibly old and high in the ceiling rafters so we had the slanted roof to contend with! The bathroom was very modern and the shower was brilliant, I even had my own dressing table which I loved! The decor is a little tired and neither here nor there, not luxury and modern nor purposefully twee, just dated.
If I lived in Midhurst I would definitely go back to use the spa and have drinks with friends in the lounge bar. The food is very expensive for what you get so would give this a miss, overall we really enjoyed our stay mainly thanks to the great staff and the spa facilities.

Room Tip: Room 21 has a great shower and dressing table!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Happy Anniversary - thank you for the kind comments and pointers. I will work no the drop off''s to make for a better stay.
Warm wishes see you soon.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My sister bought both of us day Spa pass’s including 2 treatments as a gift and we were both very much looking forward to it. However the day started badly the moment we arrived. We were slightly later arriving than hoped due to traffic so was pleased when i saw a parking place close to the entrance. However we were just taking our bags of the car when a burgundy car drove up behind and a gentleman got out of the passenger side. He came over and requested we move the car. I was a little confused with this as there was no reserved sign or other indication we were unable to park there. When i expressed this and explained we were hotel guests he just told us that the man in the car wanted to park there. By this time i was starting to get rather stressed but again explained i didn’t understand why i couldn’t park there. He then said that the man in the car was the manager of the hotel and wanted to park his car there as it was GoodWood that weekend. At no time did the man in the car bother to get out of the vehicle to help try and resolve the situation he just sat in his car watching guests becoming quite distressed. In the end we were so late that i just moved my car as i didn’t have time to argue (i was already late for my treatments). I still have no idea why the manager was so insistent he wanted his car there as he never expalined he just demanded i move.

As you can imagine i was not in a very good mood when i arrived in the spa however the spa staff did everything possible to ensure our stay was a enjoyable possible and i would like to commend them on that, however the facilities were not the ‘luxury spa’ as advertised. My treatment room was very noisy with children screaming outside and behind me a bottle bank being emptied and regular foot traffic, there was also a bright spotlight shining directly down on me whilst i was having my treatments, which as you can imagine was not conducive to a relaxing massage or facial.

We then went for lunch only to find another problem. The inclusive menu was very limited with only 3 choices none of which we liked. Therefore we requested to know if we could choose something of the normal menu and pay the difference. The bar staff made us feel like we were causing a huge fuss and it was a huge deal to be able to enjoy the food rather than just settle for what was offered. We eventually choose the homemade burger however nobody asked us how we wanted it cooked. When it arrived it was well cooked on the outside but totally raw inside, i couldn’t eat this therefore asked for it to be cooked more at which point they just put it in the microwave and returned it to the table.

This was not the relaxing spa day as advertised!!!!!
I have written since to HS hotels to complain about the above but nobody has bothered to resopnd.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank natasha b
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
I am sorry for the series of events. I have received no previous communication from you in connection to the above. Had I done I would have replied immediately as I do with all concerns. Please contact me directly.
I have looked into the issues and amended our shortfalls. Sadly this was not my car - as pointed out by you it belonged to another guest attending Goodwood Motoring Festival and had reserved this parking area.
Horsham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed back in February and had a lovely time. The hotel has lots of character and the staff were very friendly - I felt very relaxed and comfortable as the hotel is not pretentious. The food was also excellent and there was a great choice for breakfast and lots of it!. The spa area is good but it is a bit tired looking and could do with general updating. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you for your kind and direct comments. I will get onto it - you may not have realised but we have changed our product in the Spa to Temple Spa - we hope this has given some fresher appeal to our spa. We look forward to seeing you soon. Warm wishes
Epsom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I love the Spread Eagle. They do excellent deals and we took advantage of the a la carte frenzy offer. The hotel is stunning, dating back to the 1400's with friendly, attentive staff, a relaxing spa and great food. If you like historic buildings, good service and quality chill out time, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Wonderful I am pleased we can still do the wonderful deal. More promotions are always avaialble at our website. Hoping for good weather our warm wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!