“Lovely break!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Lovely break!”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We spent two quiet days relaxing at the Spread Eagle. Bedroom lovely with the four poster. Food lovel but I think a bit pricey for what it was. Staff very good. Spa absolutely lovely too! Thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: We upgraded to 4 poster bed. Sloping floors so beware!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
Great news thank you. I will check the pricing and amend where we can. We look forward to seenig you soon. Warm wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We were on a girlie get away for the night. Quaint town, Nice hotel, very clean and not at all bad for a 3 star. The rooms were clean but quite basic, the bathrooms could be updated. Food and service was excellent and the staff were very friendly. The Spa was nice, however I found the treatment rooms very small and as a therapist myself, I found that the treatments were quite basic. We both had a neck, back and shoulder massage (my therapist was unable to use the driftaway oil, so this was a bit of a let down as I was massaged with just sweet almond oil. The Templespa sequence was only just about followed to a basic level. The therapists were very friendly though. All in all for what we paid it was good value and very relaxing. I would come back again!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Great news thank you for the kind comments they are as ever much appreciated. I have spoken to the spa I am pleased they helped make your stay. Look forward to seeing you soon. Our warm wishes
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We have just returned from an overnight stay in the annexe building across the road from the main hotel. We found this room quaint and comfortable. Yes the floor wasn't level but the building is 600 years old and this just adds to the character. Yes the steps were steep and tricky in high heels but again this just added to the quirkiness of the building. Food was fantastic as was the service. Would return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you, having been wounded this is the perfect tonic, we are truely thankful. See you soon, with our best and warmest wishes.
Weybridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

On the merits of Ian a local publican my partner booked us in last minute for a Saturday night stay last weekend. Looked great when we arrived but not so great when we got to the room - shoddy with a dirty bath!? My partner complained and were given another room - still shoddy but thankfully a clean bath. BTW what I mean by shoddy is worn down damaged floor covering in many places, marked wallpaper & paintwork. Generally tired and looked very overdue a refurb. Complained again and were given the last spare room in the place - the Blue Room. Decent enough but by now we were a bit p*ssed off and almost went home. In my opnion the rooms we saw were very overpriced. If it hadn't been for the great service we recieved from the staff who were always smiling and helpful (despite their lloonngg hours) we would have gone home.

Room Tip: Select a room away from the roads as situated in narrow streets
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chris D
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
Thank you for your comments. As I explained in my e-mail to you work is being done. I would be grateful if you did not use expletives it is unnecessary, especially in front of my staff members. Pricing is taken into account when furniture and fittings are viewed.
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We traveled to the UK to attend a wedding in Stedham sometime end September 2012. Everything was lovely until we checked in our room which is located in a separate building across the road from the main building. The stairs are steep and the floor in the room are not even leveled. We were shocked to be given a room of such poor standard. The room was small and every time we have someone visiting us in our room we have to shift our bags and luggages just so we can create some space to open our door and shift the same thing back again just to create a "walkway" in our room. I remember walking down the steep stairs of this separate building holding my high heels on one hand and my maid of honour's dress on the other hand for there was no way I could make my way down in my long dress and high heels on that steep stairs. Yes, I had to "borrow" another guest's room to get changed.

Other wedding guests shared the same view, most complaining that the rooms were too cold and some were shocked to be informed of a different rate (and of course higher) that they need to pay for the room upon check-in.

Level of service is quite poor and we did not enjoy our stay in this hotel at all.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JoshLee00
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
These rooms are in the oldest part of the hotel and naturally have issues. It is such a shame you did not speak to me at the time. I am unclear as to why the rooms were cold I can only assume the radiator was not turned on it is not automatic, we are sorry.
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This trip advisor complaint is a first for me, but I felt it necessary. We went for 2 nights at the Spread Eagle in Midhurst, and had been expecting a standard close to the other two hotels in the Historic Sussex chain. We are particularly fond of Bailiffscourt. That was our first mistake. We paid for the very best room, a suite, and got a poky room with a sofa outside the bedroom door and a tiny bathroom. Screwed up rubbish greeted us on the loo. And none of our power worked from 10pm at night till the morning on the first night. No late night tea and tv for us. We tried to order a tea to the room, but the night security guy said instead 'he'd try and nick a kettle from another room' to see if that solved our power problem. It didn't. We were given a small concession off the bill, but the experience was very disappointing. When you're paying 400 hundred quid plus, it warrants a moan.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank JessWillington
I am sorry to have read the comment, time has moved on considerably and I am now not able to anything to correct this, I am saddened to read your view on our best suite - these are not words any of the previous guests have used - I suspect you have the wrong hotel in mind.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Rooms in the main building of the Spread Eagle are dated but you might say that is adds to their charm. The main building is quirky and lovely. Yet the rooms in the part they call the Markethouse are DREADFUL.

I booked these rooms for my mother's siblings during my wedding weekend after having visited the main building's rooms and having been told that the rooms in the Markethouse were of similar standard.

My mother was horrified that her siblings' weekend had been ruined because of the DISASTROUS state of the Markethouse and wrote to the Spread Eagle management team, who did not bother making an effort when replying to this letter.

Here is a copy of our complaint letter:

"I am writing to formally raise my concerns following my verbal complaint made during our stay with you, having had no communication or acknowledgement from you regarding the disastrous accommodation offered to us at the Spread Eagle, in the part called the Market house.

My family stayed with you in the Market house for 2 nights for my daughter's wedding weekend, which had been planned for well over a year, with wedding guests arriving from all over the world, many of whom stayed in the main building of the Spread Eagle. It is fair to say that at least half the hotel was full with our guests.

When I visited prior to our stay with my daughter and her wedding planner to book the rooms, we did not know of the existence of the Market house – we were only shown the 4 room categories at the hotel itself. Nor does your website in any way refer to the Market House. Perhaps that should have been a clue!

The Market house was presented to us as a house with four standard rooms, all with ensuite facilities, just opposite the main building. This seemed the perfect set-up for four siblings needing rooms at the hotel.

We did like the Spread Eagle's main building and its facilities with the lounge, bar, wintergarden and nicely decorated rooms – otherwise we would not have booked our own rooms there. (And during our wedding weekend all our guests who stayed in the main hotel itself a were delighted with the adequateness of their rooms and the kindness of their hosts.)

So I hardly can describe the disappointment and the enormous strain that was put on me as the bride’s mother and on my daughter – the bride - for the completely inadequate rooms that have been given to four members of my family at the Market house part of the hotel.

The old house with its steep staircase and small rooms with awkward ‘ensuite’ facilities is lying in between two streets with traffic and next to a busy pub.

Shockingly, without our knowing, this accommodation was offered to us during a music festival just outside the Markethouse. All the guests booked into the Market house made it clear that they had NEVER spent a more uncomfortable sleepless night than in your establishment.

Despite complaints, your reception staff made NO EFFORTS to improve our experience.

At no point from arrival on Friday evening to departure on Sunday morning did you try to explain, improve or apologise.

We were billed in full for the Market house despite all guests enduring either sleepless nights or awkwardly making other arrangements.

We were led to believe that we had booked standard hotel rooms with proper ensuite facilities providing ‘contemporary comfort’

Yet the rooms are extremely small, they are completely exposed to traffic, as well as noise from the busy pub right that is opposite.

In addition, when booking, we had been told the largest of the Market House rooms would be prepared with three beds, which had not been done. So when my brother arrived with his wife and 11-year-old son late at night, they had to squeeze themselves and their luggage into the last remaining room and then try and organize a third bed for their son.

My 1st sister and his husband, who were staying in one of the Market House rooms, were so horrified by the room that they had to ask the bride to look for another B&B for them at 10 PM. A bride should not have this kind of problem to solve at her own wedding.

My 2nd sister and her husband spent both nights in their car!!! in the car park of the main building of the Hotel, when realizing they would not close an eye these two nights because of the noise!! Yes they chose to sleep in their car rather than in your rooms!!

My 3rd sister and her husband said that one window in their room could not even be closed!! What's more, the room smelled strongly of MOULD. They were not happy at all either about the awkward turning door arrangement to use the tiny shower or toilet. They are mountain walkers and are quite happy with plain accommodation - they're not fussy and yet HATED every minute of their stay.

Rooms are so small that not all the bags/suitcases could be entered (travelers usually do have luggage!!), not to speak of a proper small wardrobe to hang up at least a few clothes. There was no place to open the door to the washroom/toilet.

This whole situation was extremely annoying and painfully embarrassing for us since we had booked these rooms for our guests. I was sleepless in my “mother of the bride” room thinking of my family who had travelled from all over and how poorly they were welcomed and “lodged”.

All this has been uttermost upsetting for all concerned, on a most perfect long wedding weekend, which had been organised to the last detail by my daughter, the bride. She had to apologise to her guests for having booked them in in the most dreadful accommodation ever at your Market House.

Would you have cared at all, you certainly should have done everything to lessen the impact of having made the mistake to offer the Market House to customers in the first place."

The Market House part of the hotel needs to be shut and completely refurbished.

Whatever you do, DO NOT STAY AT THE MARKET HOUSE.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Well-travelled-NW3
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
You are aware this is not the full story and it remains as I replied in person. The effort my staff members offered has been totally overlooked and ignored.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!