“Very pleasant at the Spread Eagle”

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Canberra
“Very pleasant at the Spread Eagle”
Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stayed twice over a week and had a room in the old section of the hotel the first time. It featured beams and did not have a straight angle but was very comfortable nevertheless. The bathroom had been recently renovated and was modern and functional. Staff in the hotel were attentive and soon knew us by name. Breakfast was comprehensive and excellent.

On our second visit we had a new room in the new part of the hotel. It was larger and very comfortable indeed. I'd advise you to ask for the new rooms if possible as they are more comfortable. The place is full of old world charm. It has a lovely conservatory area for reading papers or hanging out and its spa looks inviting and offers many services.

We'll certainly be back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Many thanks for the comments, we look forward to welcoming you soon. Great to have comments from so far a field we hope you had a good trip. Warmest wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Sunbury
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Spent two night here relaxing and just wanted to comment on the staff who were all excellent. Most we met had been there 5 plus years which must say something about the hotel. Loved the spa, I had a very relaxing facial, all plans to hit the shops after had to be put on hold as I was too relaxed to leave!! The rooms are a little dated but it must be limited what can be done with a building of that age.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Great to see you back, yes we are still all here! Thank you for the kind comments and support we look forward to seeing you soon. Warmest wishes
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I could not believe the last review of the spread Eagle in Midhurst, the person said it was terrible.
8 of our family meet at the Spread Eagle twice a year for seven years for coffee and a lunch. All I can say is that it is absolutely excellent, two of the party have also stayed at the spread Eagle. The Staff are charming and so helpful, especially Horace, the manager. We have a private room for lunch, the food is excellent and we cannot think of anywhere nicer to meet up. I can only comment that the people who put the bad review on Trip Adviser were very hard to please. Keep up the good work, Spread Eagle, we hope to be visiting for many more years to come.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank maureen c
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
This is such a generous and welcome pat on the back for us. We always have such fun when you all come and visit us for lunch it is great to have such a buzz in the hotel. You are a wonderful happy group of friends and I am so pleased you all enjoy our service. As ever our warmest and fond wishes.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Spread Eagle. The hotel is beautifully decorated inside and the staff
were perfectly pleasant and helpful. Also, our bathroom actually had a bath in it as opposed to just a shower, which a lot of places don't have nowadays so that was a bonus !

I suppose if I really wanted to be fussy I could mention that the hot water tap in the basin of our en suite wasn't working very well, but the staff were very attentive when I told them about it so no real worries there.

My wife and I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
The basin is being repaired thank you for pointing it out. Great to see you and we are looking forward to seeing you soon. Our best wishes
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have just read a comment of how a group booking was very negative with their stay at the hotel and spa. I brought my family and friends for a gathering which included overnight accommodation, evening meal and spa treatments. The staff at the hotel and spa were extremely friendly and professional. Its a shame one uncalled for bad comment can spoil twenty positive comments. I would recommend the hotel and spa to anybody and myself and family will definitely be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 238JulieG
Wonderful to hear from you, thank you for the kind comments. Look forward to seeing you very soon. Our warm wishes
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We booked the Spread Eagle for a weekend spa break and private dining for 20+ friends for a special occaision. It was a huge mistake.

When we arrived we were informed no hot food was available. No apology, just "no hot food". Then, due to a lack of staff they cancelled at over 16 of the spa treatments we had booked at very short notice. Not only that they failed to inform us of this until we turned up for our appointments. Furthermore our rooms were still dirty upon our return from a day out, and the hotel failed to provide the gifts that were included within the packages we had booked.

Upon complaining about all of the above, not one member of staff, not least the manager apologised or aimed to rectify the situation. On the plus side, the food was not bad, but the facilities are dated, lacklustre and the managment at the spread eagle have a distinct and suprising disdain for customer service. It was truly terrible and costly experience and ruined what was supposed to be a special weekend.
I would not recommend trusting them with your special occaision.

Room Tip: We booked the suites, the best available. Id therefore only advise you ask for your room to be clean...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 296michellel
T3EDJ, Owner at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Further to your comments here and our previous correspondence I feel it only fair to give a little more detail.

Sadly the day of your arrival and the weekend in question turned out to be one of the snowiest in January and only you and 3 of your friends were able to make it to the hotel. And like most of your friends our therapists were unfortunately unable to travel to work hence the reason for having to cancel your treatments at short notice.

On your arrival to the hotel at 3pm you requested lunch. It was explained our kitchen closes at 2.30pm and as a result of the weather conditions and cancellations we had had a very quiet lunch and unfortunately all our kitchen staff had left the hotel. We offered you sandwiches and crisps, but we were unfortunately not able to cook hot food.

I think it should be noted we offered to reschedule your visit to the hotel for a future date when all your friends could be there and we would not impose any cancellation charges, as the weather conditions were out of all our control. And thankfully several of your friends have rebooked for a future date and we look very much forward to welcoming them.

I think I am correct in saying you and your three friends had eight treatments booked for the weekend and because of the travel difficulties on Friday and Saturday we offered to move all the treatments to the Sunday morning. Unfortunately you were not able to take the treatments on the Sunday morning and therefore we were only able to accommodate two of your eight treatments. The six treatments that were cancelled have been duly refunded to you and we also offered to rebook them for you for a future date should you so have wished.

We endeavour to clean all stay-over rooms for our guests by 1pm, but we sadly did not manage to clean your two rooms by the time you returned. We cleaned the rooms as soon as we possibly could, following your return. And as far as I am aware your gifts were delivered to your rooms during your stay.

I do believe our Events Manager explained to your friend how sorry we were for the short notice of cancelled treatments and our Deputy Manager spoke with members of your party too.

I am very sorry the weather caused havoc with your special weekend with friends. But I believe we have done, as much as we can to accommodate you and your friends and enable you to redeem your January vouchers for a later date in the year.

We are acutely aware how important it is to try and look after every guest we have and to try and ensure they return, and on this occasion I feel your comment “terrible customer service” is unfounded.
Brighton
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The Spread Eagle was a nice and pleasant stay but for the cost I am not sure I would consider it to be value for money. We were in a room on the top floor which was nice but nothing special. The bed was pretty small for two and there was nothing really special about it compared to a B&B. The bar was stereo-typically English and was very impressive however breakfast was pretty poor.

I would agree with comments about the spa which is a very nice addition to the hotel. The staff don’t seem too engaged but as an extra it’s a great place to relax.
Overall I would say it was OK but feel it should probably be £20 cheaper.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
T3EDJ, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you for the comments, I am sorry we are not value for money. The further you book in advance the better value you will receive. I do hope you will try us again as I will correct the shortfalls. I welcome the comments and I will better the service. Warm wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Chichester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,459 reviews

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!