“Adequate but look for something better” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Wargrave, United Kingdom
“Adequate but look for something better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel room was hot and stuffy and old fashioned in décor. There were no extra plugs for chargers, the phones were not working so could not reach other guests in our party. They were unprofessional: they charged my card on reservation instead of after our stay. They did not tell me how much it was going to be, they did not email through any paper work regarding the booking or the fact that they had debited me £219 until I called up for an explanation -they did apologise at that point.
Left feeling it was not worth that kind of money...I think they have ideas of being much better than they actually are...and as for dinner it was awful. The steak was so chewy that most of the party who had chosen it gave up on it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank haresleap
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2016
Dear haresleap,

I realise that it was over two years ago that you came and stayed with us, but if you are ever in the area or have a reason to stay in the area I would seriously recommend you coming back to try us! I do not recognise any of your negative points at today's Spread Eagle and I think you would thoroughly enjoy the standard and quality of the hotel and service if you were to come back now.

I look forward to hopefully having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Kindest regards,

J-J Pollak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Well presented, courteous if young staff. Food, in room and breakfast was good.

The Rooms are not up to the expected standard. Everything is so 1980's. 2 telephones in the bedroom. As with so many hotels a lack if electrical sockets for our myriad of chargers. On arrival there wS no TV remote for the very basic poor quality TV. This was soon rectified with humour and efficiency. The bathroom is like a museum to 1980's repro Art Deco. Just an old fashioned mess of heavy marble tiling and old fittings.

It's time for a refurb Mr Owner!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank FatCockneyonTour
Dear FatCockneyonTour,

Thank you for your feedback, which is greatly appreciated and I am really glad to hear that your enjoyed the food, breakfast and most importantly the service from the staff.

I realise that it is over two years ago that you came and stayed with us, but if you are ever in the area or have a reason to stay in the area I would seriously recommend you coming back to try us! I do not recognise any of your negative points at today's Spread Eagle and I think you would thoroughly enjoy the standard and quality of the hotel and service if you were to come back now. We have refurbished twenty of our bathrooms and bedrooms and upgraded electrical sockets and TV's to larger, better quality ones. We also certainly only have one phone in the rooms now as well (something I could never quite understand why two were required!) Please have a look on our website at our beautiful new bedrooms and particularly bathrooms; I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the transformation.

With warmest personal regards,

General Manger
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel cam highly recommended and indeed it is a beautifully restored and maintained hotel. We stopped by for a cream tea, but unfortunately it was ridiculously expensive at over £11 for tea and two scones per serving. Scones were crumbly, and the jam was runny. And where were all the staff when it came paying and leaving?
A beautiful hotel but disappointing meal.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear 88Charles88,

Thank-you for your review of The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa. I have recently taken over as the new General Manager here and very glad to hear that you you highly recommend the hotel and that you enjoyed the beauty and the charm of the hotel. I am, however, disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your afternoon tea experience. Although I was not in my position during the time of your tea please accept my most sincere apologies on behalf of the hotel. I will be looking into the issues you raised with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure that we are consistently providing afternoon tea to the highest possible quality. I will look into the the comments you made about the scones and as our strawberry jam is homemade it can sometimes be very runny, but I will be speaking to our Head Chef to see if we can make this slightly thicker. Afternoon Tea is an area where we have made some initial improvements recently and an area where I feel we could further improve on the quality and value for money and I hope that you will take the opportunity to revisit in the future and see real improvement!

I look forward to having the opportunity to personally welcome you back to the house in the near future.

Uckfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Revisit one of favourite haunts. Always excellent and we were delighted with our upgrade to the Garden room. The food is excellent and the staff friendly and attentive. The town is delightful with mixture of old and new buildings. We will definitely revisit for another birthday or anniversary.

Room Tip: We like the garden room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scrabbly
Dear Scrabbly,

Thank-you for your review of The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa. I have recently taken over as the new General Manager and I am extremely pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay revisiting one of your favourite haunts, as well as Midhurst. I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to the House in the near future.

West Molesey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We booked in one day before a wedding, lovely room although hot because they left the window closed, not a problem. Very nice toiletries, shower and towels etc. Then had to close the window to sleep as it was sideways to the kitchen one/two floors up, and the chefs etc came out to have their chat and their ciggies. But seriously good food at the reception and good breakfasts included, massive amounts of food. Very comfortable bed too

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear apfrba,

Thank-you for your review of The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa. I have recently taken over as the new General Manager here and although I was not in my role when you stayed I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and the wedding, particularly the food, breakfast and the comfort of the bed. With regards to noise from the Chef's, please accept my most sincere apologies for this. Naturally a smoking area is something we do have to provide and I have, myself, already noted that the close proximity of this to some of the guest bedrooms is not ideal. We will therefore be moving this to a new location shortly which will be away from the main hotel and all the guest bedrooms and hopefully this will solve any future issues.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the House in the future.

Cowbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

A most enjoyable enviroment, convieniately situated in the centre of this delightful market town (Midhurst) we stayed for B&B with afternoon tea.
Staff very attentive, afternoon tea outside was most enjoyable, we only had sandwiches not an evening meal due to having had a large lunch prior to arriving, but the full English Breakfast was most enjoyable.
The bed was large & very comfortable.
Three small gripes,
1) Bath/Shower requires a safety handle as getting over the bathside to have a shower was a bit unnerving for us oldies!
2) No milk to have with our morning coffee in the room.
3) A dressing table/mirror needed, diffulcult for wife to do make up etc. as there was only a wall mirror or the bathroom shaving mirror.
Loved our stay though, so much so that we are hoping to return with 2 other couples latter in the year.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Higher rooms require negotiating several stairs, so if you find stair climbing a bit of an effort re...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear apfrba,

I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the House in the future.

Woking, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned home following a one night DBB stay at this Johansen recommended hotel.
The staff were delightful and attentive.
The bedroom was "adequate" with a broken toilet-paper holder, no disposable bathroom slippers and no showercap.
The set dinner was a disaster:
Tasteless crab cakes with salad that looked past its sell by date.
Tasteless rump of lamb with charred gem lettuce, creamed potatoes and tomato salsa. The jus ensured that the lettuce was soggy and the dish presentation was awful.
Creme brulee was good.
There was no alternative on the set dinner menu.
The wine list had no half bottles and there were only two whites and two reds by the glass.
I did complain and to their credit my comments received serious attention.
In my opinion this hotel brings discredit to Johansen's Luxury Hotels Guide.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear nativeamericanSurrey,

Thank-you for your review of The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa. I have recently taken over as the new General Manager here just over a week a go. Firstly may I say how pleased I was to read that you thought the staff were delightful and attentive. With regards to the bedrooms, we are embarking on a rolling refurbishment program at present and I have been personally checking bedrooms to ensure we are up to scratch on all maintenance and housekeeping issues; which I feel we are improving on everyday. With regards to your Restaurant experience, I am aware that our Managing Director did speak to you on the evening of the meal and has since written to you to further apologise and offer your you two vouchers for a complimentary meal for two so you can come back and enjoy 'The Spread Eagle Experience' the way it should be. I would also like to reiterate our Managing Director's apologies. I will be looking into the issues you raised with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure that we are consistently providing food to the highest possible quality and to ensure that all customers are made aware that the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast includes £35.00 to put towards anything from our dinner food menu and is not restricted to just the set menu.

I look forward to personally welcoming you and your family back to the house when you have the opportunity to use the vouchers.

J-J Pollak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,020 reviews

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!