“Great impulse stopover”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Great impulse stopover”
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Having returned from a lovely week in Devon we didn’t want the holiday time to end so having returned home on Thursday to Kent we headed off on Saturday with a few essentials in the boot with the view that if we found somewhere nice, we would spend the night and extend the holiday feeling for one more day. Having driven through Midhurst on the A272 on the way back from the South West we thought this looked quite a charming village. In fact we had stopped and had some tapas at the Spanish place a couple of nights before so knew there were some nice places to eat, and then we came across the Spread Eagle which looked extremely welcoming.

We got a very good last minute room rate (there were only 3 rooms left and they were all taken within the next ½ hour) and found our room (14) very comfortable, quiet and airy with its double windows opening onto quiet street to front and side. We had already booked a table at the local Indian restaurant but otherwise would have been tempted by the restaurant menu which did look good. Spent a very relaxing time in the lounge bar (good selection of wines by the glass) with some Japanese rice cracker nibbles before ambling off to dinner. There are many different resident lounges all around this expansive old building, each one with unique character, and even a conservatory area. Imagine it would be very lovely in winter with those great fireplaces. We wished we’d had more time to spend in them all. Didn’t have time to try the Spa, Pool or Gym either but they looked very adequate.

Complimentary paper was waiting at door right on time in the morning and the service at breakfast was very good. Was seated in one of the smaller overflow wood-panelled dining rooms just off the main restaurant, beside a window looking out over the village. Very pleasant. Self service for juices, fresh fruit (including very good water/galia melon), cereals, yogurts etc and table service for cooked breakfast/porridge/smoked salmon & scrambled egg. Good quality table linen and cutlery too.

Not sure I would pay the full rack rate, it seems a bit overpriced at £200+, but if we managed to get another special offer would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kbhr
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 November 2015
Dear kbhr,

I realise it was a couple of years ago now, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am extremely please that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back to the House in the near future.

Please let me know if I can be of any personal assistance with any future bookings.

J-J Pollak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Bletchley Milton Keynes
Reviewed 1 June 2009

First impression. Old & Cosy full of history and interesting objects. Welcome from reception excellent. Booked in three nights included dinner. Room was clean & fresh. Bed was first class didn't want to get up in morning. Noisy with window open due to traffic & late night drinkers. Dinner served in very old fashioned dining room with white linen table clothes & napkins. EPNS cutlery. Service good but slow. Impression short of staff. Menu was not good value limited choice at £38 per person. No A La Carte. Wine overpriced for quality. Parking a nightmare due to two weddings taking place over two days no supervision of car park. Paying guests parking not considered by management.

3 Thank Brins9
Dear Brins9,

I realise it was a couple of years ago now, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am extremely please that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back to the House in the near future (I know you would find the issues you mentioned have been fine-tuned).

South coast
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Really enjoyed our stay at the Spread Eagle Hotel. We went on their Sunday night deal which was dinner bed and breakfast for two people for £160. Having looked at some of the photos of the accommodation I was a bit concerned but my worries were unfounded. The room we had was lovely, fresh white linen, robes and a really nice big bathroom. The bed was a bit uncomfortable, but I think that is more about personal choice. The food we had at the hotel was of excellent quality. The dinner was three courses with a good choice of options. Only criticism that evening was the cost of the drinks which seemed a bit pricey, but otherwise the rest of the deal felt like good value. The hotel has a lot of history and we found it fascinating to wander round - tons of character and a nice change from the conveyor belt feel you sometimes get in larger chains.
One of the reasons we stayed there was to use the spa. I think the term "spa" is a bit loose, it is really a nice pool with a sauna and steam room next to it. it doesnt really compete with some of the other places we had looked at for the same sort of cost which are more purpose built for the spa experience. However we did have a nice relaxing time, lots of magazines to read and plenty of loungers. we had a couple of treatments and the staff were very good and attentive.
All in all a really nice relaxing stay. I would recommend it more as a really nice hotel with lots of character, rather than for the spa.

2 Thank MontySouthcoast
Dear MontySouthcoast,

Meopham - Kent
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We recently visited the Spread Eagle in Midhusrt and had a wonderful time. It was our wedding anniversary and we wanted to go somewhere special, without the kids, and this place certainly delivered. A very relaxing, layed back pace in the hotel, which was complemented by the fantastic Aquila spa. Hotel staff we excellent, nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to provide for us. The location of the hotel is beautiful as well, in an unspoilt village, with a couple of excellent local pubs. One thing to mention is that although the pubs were supposed to do good food we didn't get to find out as they don't provide food on Sundays (which is when we wanted to try one of them).

1 Thank theluce1
Dear theluce1,

Worthing
Reviewed 25 March 2009

What a plesant hotel, staff where very helpful and friendly. The rooms were on the little small side for such a expensive hotel, very odd curtains!! But neither the less it was a very nice weekend break, very relaxing!! Went with my mum and sisters for a break away from the family life, having a young toddler I really needed a break away from it all!! All mums could do with that from time to time and if you needed a break all you mums this was the place to do it, went for mothers weekend and it was so relaxing! The spa is truely amazing and didn't wanna come home!! The swimming pool was on the cold side but who cares.
I will be going back again

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank Jselwood
Dear Jselwood,

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2009

We stayed here before and decided to come back - the rooms are small but perfectly formed and comfortable. The hotel has a lovely ambiance and the staff are really nice and helpful. Breakfast is really good (except the bread - why do so many hotels serve crap cheap bread for breakfast!?!). The best bit is the spa - it is all glass and wood with lots of light and chairs by the pool for lounging in - we had a lovely long swim in the morning.

The restaurant is pricey - we haven't eaten it it so can't say if its good, but there are quite a few quaint pubs that do meals (although we went to Prezzo).

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Size of the bed - too small
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Brighton_Claire
Dear Brighton_Claire,

bromley
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Organised a New Year booking for a large group of friends all around 60. First impressions where that the facilities and general condition of the hotel where very good.
Problems started when the management deemed that the so called pre dinner champane reception consisted of just one small glass. Then the so called gormet dinner was far from our idea of quality food. To top it all the geriatic "Trad Jazz Band" was totally unsuitable for a New Year celebration. All this for £440 for two people for a one night stay with drinks extra.
Not a place to go for a fun evening ,more suitable for the over 70's who want a very quiet but expensive evening !
We all felt very dissapointed as we left the hotel on New Year's day as they just did not deliver what we believed they had promised us.
The Spread Eagle is probally fine for a quiet stay but not for a jolly New Year party !!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2015
Dear macbromley,

I realise that it was over 6 years ago that you came and stayed with us, but if you are ever in the area or have a reason to stay in the area I would seriously recommend you coming back to try us! I do not recognise any of your negative points at today's Spread Eagle and I think you would thoroughly enjoy the standard and quality of the hotel and service if you were to come back now.

I look forward to hopefully having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Kindest Regards

J-J Pollak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!