1,080 results
All reviews historic hotel olde world lounge bar four poster bed treatment rooms steam room and sauna relaxing break lovely hotel garden room sister hotel course dinner steeped in history birthday treat cowdray park couple of nights cooked breakfast south downs
Reviewed 9 September 2017

ambience
care of customers
attitude very positive
discreet waiting of tables

Room tip: didnt stay overnight but had excelent food
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank richard w
Reviewed 8 September 2017

We stayed in January 2017 for my husbands birthday taking advantage of a special offer including a spa treatment. We have stayed once before and once again found it relaxing and enjoyable. The staff are very professional and food very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a quiet and relaxing break - its a real treat.

Date of stay: January 2017
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank cathy_higbee
Reviewed 8 September 2017

We booked this mid week overnight spa break with three course dinner for my fiancés birthday and we were not disappointed! The hotel and spa are beautiful and the food was amazing! We intend to return as soon as possible.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely old hotel, full of character. Booked last minute so stayed in a superior room-four poster, wood panelling the works. Very nicely furnished and decorated. Bathroom also very nicely done, only minus points in the room - no stand up shower (appreciate its a free-standing bath but could still be done), no minibar and not enough free water.

Room maybe a bit expensive overall ?

Spa and gym are small but the indoor pool is pretty good. Other public areas nice especially the bar.

What really let them down is the food. In 2017 they really should be doing better and there are many pubs in the area with much better food on offer. The restaurant's a bit of a dull space as well. Breakfast was ok but dinner was really poor - no better than an average pub and as I said there are many great pubs around doing much better food. The clientele reflect the offering - you will find a better crowd and better atmosphere and much better food in say the Horse Guards at Tillington and many other places I am sure. Have dinner and lunch somewhere else until they raise their game.

1  Thank ChrisJ3416
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Dear Chris J,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found the hotel be lovely and full of character and enjoyed The Spa and and liked the public areas, including the bar.

You booked a Deluxe Four-Poster room in the 1650 part of the building, which I am glad you liked. The current bathroom is very nice as you mention, but is due to be refurbished later this year and will include a walk-in rain shower and a separate roll-top bath, which will make it even nicer. We do not include mini-bars in our bedrooms as we feel it is of a much higher quality and service to bring a drink of your choice to your bedroom from our bar, rather than you making an inferior drink yourself using small in-room bottles and a restricted choice. We will also bring up fresh milk upon immediate request, as the sign on the hospitality tray states. We provide two 500ml bottles of South Down's Water in each bedroom, which is a larger size than most hotels provide. If you wish for more, we will of course provide it. I am aware you requested at least twice for extra water and this was gladly provided at no extra cost to yourself.

Our rooms are priced competitively and as you stayed on a Saturday night, this is a higher rate than any other night of the week and you took the very last bedroom we had available.

Our Restaurant is in the 1650 part of the coaching inn and reflects this style of the building in its design with its fantastic inglenook fireplace and large oak beams, I am sorry this was not to your taste.

I am glad your breakfast was fine and I am sorry that the food at dinner was again not to your taste. It is a great shame, that although you were asked in both the Restaurant and at Reception on check out, you did not make any of this known as we could have had the opportunity to address your dissatisfaction. I feel your comment about the food is unfair and not at all representative of our offering. We use the highest quality, locally sourced ingredients from Sussex on our menu. We cook our produce to the highest standard and create interesting and flavoursome dishes which the vast majority of our guests and customers love and rave about. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I also do not understand to why you had lunch with us on your day of departure, if you found your dinner to be poor the night before?

We have a real mix of clientele of all ages and style and the House had a great atmosphere during your stay with a large contingent of American guests staying, who loved the hotel and created a great atmosphere... far better than a pub.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, but sorry that you felt that a few points let it down. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and make your experience 100% perfect (including the food).

With best wishes,

J-J Pollak

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Wonderful dog-friendly hotel for a bank holiday weekend. So nice we stayed an extra night whilst there. The dogs loved it and we could leave them to doze in the room whilst we pampered ourselves in the spa facilities. Warm and friendly staff. Visually attractive and attention to detail lovely. Antique furniture, comfortable beds/pillows, beautiful pottery/china used everywhere. Want to stay again and Christmas too! Dog mats and bowls and welcome biscuit for them.

Date of stay: August 2017