“Lovely Stay at the Price”

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Reviewed 26 July 2007

We booked this hotel through Laterooms and got a very good price of £80 for a superior double room with breakfast for 2. I had stayed here over 25 years ago and was curious to see it again - there was no spa on my previous visit. We were only staying one night this time in between visits to Fishbourne and the Roman VIlla at Bignor.
It's a lovely old coaching inn right in the centre of town, near the duck pond. Some rooms are in a modern extension to the rear and the spa is also there. Check in was smooth and we were given the Chinese Room. The room was a decent size, with a king size bed, desk and chair, couch. Lovely chinese style furnishings and nice views over the courtyard below. The bathroom was smallish but perfectly fine with excellent towels, bathrobes and toiletries. I cannot fault the accommodations at all.
We booked dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed a drink in the bar beforehand. The bar/lounge is gorgeous with great atmosphere and large leather sofas that are ideal to lounge on. It must be even better in the winter when the fireplaces are roaring away.
The staff were very eager to please and attentive.
The dining room is quite small and "olde worlde" again with a large fireplace. There is only a 3 course set menu at £35 which was a bit inflexible. I would have preferred to order a la carte because three courses is a bit much for me. Anyway, there was about 5 or 6 choices per course. The food was a disappointment to be frank, although I suppose not bad value for the price, given the surroundings. We both started with poached eggs over parma ham and a pea puree with baby broad beans. This was quite tasty but the eggs were not soft at all which spoiled it. Next we had rump of lamb with garlic mash. There was plenty of lamb but it was absolutely swimming (like a soup) in a gravy which had an odd taste. I think this was caused by the lumps of bacon and pickled onions contained in it. It turned the mash to sludge and really ruined the whole dish. Overwhelmed the lamb totally. For dessert I had raspberry and rose jelly with cornish clotted cream ice cream and my daughter had apricot crumble with ice cream. Both were delicious. Clearly the restaurant is aspiring to be of high quality and I do feel that some help is needed. I heard some other guests complaining about their meals too.

Breakfast was good. There was a selection of fruit, cold meat and cheese and cereals. There were about 4 choices of cooked meals - we had the full English. It was a large meal and very enjoyable. OK, the menu said Herbed Sausages and they definitely werent and the mushrooms were tinned but the coffee was excellent!

Overall, we had a lovely stay and I would definitely return but not at a high rate and I don't think I would want to have a honeymoon or wedding here. Great for a weekend break though.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank alliebdive
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2015

Dear alliebdive,

I realise it was a couple of years ago now, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am extremely please that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back to the House in the near future.

Please let me know if I can be of any personal assistance with any future bookings.

Reviewed 23 July 2007

Beautiful old hotel with so much character, however, very tired in places. Really does need a complete overhaul, including carpets, redecorating and bathrooms updated. Thankfully this wasn't a special occasion and we were staying on business. Bedroom (standard - The Blue Room) was very small with a tiny bed. Thankfully my husband and I are not big people - God help any one who is more than 5ft 8"! On the good side of things, the restaurant food was lovely and the service at the hotel is fantastic. I would not recommend this hotel and unless I really had to, would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank antandf
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2015

Dear antandf,

I realise that it is almost 8 years ago that you came and stayed with us, but if you are ever in the area or have a reason to stay in the area I would seriously recommend you coming back to try us! I do not recognise any of your negative points at today's Spread Eagle and I think you would thoroughly enjoy the standard and quality of the hotel and service if you were to come back now.

I look forward to hopefully having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 4 June 2007

I was a little worried about going to this hotel after reading a lot of the reviews on here but I am so glad we stuck with it.

We stayed for 2 nights after getting married on the 1st June. The mini honeymoon was a wedding present from my parents who knew of a family friend that frequently stayed at the Spread Eagle years ago.

We had booked a superior room for our stay and all of our dealings with the hotel prior to our stay were very helpful.

We had never been to Midhurst before and we were really pleased to find the hotel on the quiter and more picturesque side street.

On checking in we were told that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room, this was a lovely surprise. This room was lovely, it was pannelled and had a four poster bed and a lovely big en-suite. It really added to our honeymoon.

We had booked a table in the restaurant the week before so that we would not find it booked up. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Breakfast was also lovely. A huge choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, croissants from the buffet table, tea and toast, and then lots of choice from the cooked menu too.

We had booked in for spa treatments on the Sunday and these were lovely. We had the £99 top to toe treatments and both came out feeling very relaxed and sleepy! We then enjoyed afternoon tea on the terrace. We ate in the restaurant again and although the menu was the same we still had things on there we liked the look of and it was so convenient to just walk down the stairs to dinner.

On our final morning we enjoyed the swimming pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room.

We felt that nothing was too much trouble and even though we were the youngest people staying in the hotel we were made to feel very comfortable.

So please don't be put off by some of the other reviews on this site. I think you have to make your own mind up about things and this is what we did.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ltip

Dear Itip,

Reviewed 22 May 2007

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but then I did get charged £280 per night (two adults) so I think a high expectation was justified.

Our room was poor - modern, small and akin to a Travelodge. The staff were friendly but there just weren't enough of them to cater for the numbers staying at the hotel - at breakfast we waited over 30 minutes for someone to take our order. The food was adequate but there wasn't any wow factor to it.

If you are looking for a long weekend away, then I'd advise people to look elsewhere in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple

Dear jameslr,

Reviewed 7 December 2006

We were put in a room which did not really constitute a double , with the bed squeezed tightly under the eves. The bed was only small - not really room enough for two. Bathroom really tired and dated, with no proper shower. A real rip-off.
Although parts of the hotel are historically interesting & beautiful - the whole place needs a re-think in terms of bringing it up to date. Was all a bit 1980's trust house forte - including the service. The food at diner was excellent -but what you'd expect at those prices.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank miu100

Dear miu100,

I realise that it was over 9 years ago that you came and stayed with us, but if you are ever in the area or have a reason to stay in the area I would seriously recommend you coming back to try us! I do not recognise any of your negative points at today's Spread Eagle and I think you would thoroughly enjoy the standard and quality of the hotel and service if you were to come back now.

Reviewed 1 December 2006

This old coaching is a good traditional experience. The bar is welcoming and friendly, and the restaurant is notably good. The swimming pool and spa area is excellent, although we were disappointed to find that no treatment times were available when we arrived. The rooms are a bit scuffed around the edges, but it's a genuine place in a lovely town.

Very good walking in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank McBoot

Dear McBoot,

Reviewed 7 October 2006

I'm from the Midhurst area and recently stayed at the Spread Eagle for my wedding night (and the night before). I've tried a number of Midhurst hotels in the last few months and this has to have been the most over-hyped place I've ever encountered. To say that we were disappointed was understating it - the staff were rude which I picked up on when I first went in to enquire about large bookings for guests - I should never have booked it after my first (poor) impression but everyone goes on about how wonderful it is so I thought I must have been imagining it. I wasn't.

The prices are astronomical and we ended up in the smallest, most dingy room I think I've ever seen let alone stayed in. The breakfast was ok but nothing special. The Aquila spa is very nice and the girls in there are really lovely but nonetheless I DEFINITELY would not recommend this hotel.

There are cheaper and/or better value options in the area - if you're going to Midhurst, don't ruin what should be a lovely visit by staying at the Spread Eagle - instead, stay at the Angel or Park House.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chezza27

Dear Chezza27,

I realise that it is almost 9 years ago that you came and stayed with us, but if you are ever in the area or have a reason to stay in the area I would seriously recommend you coming back to try us! I do not recognise any of your negative points at today's Spread Eagle and I think you would thoroughly enjoy the standard and quality of the hotel and service if you were to come back now.

J-J Pollak

Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
Park House Hotel & Spa
Chichester Harbour Hotel and Spa
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#5 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!