All reviewssingle roomnice roomtaxiairportgatwicktransport
Reviewed 27 July 2015

Not the best B&B that I've stayed in to be honest and indeed, even in this immediate area, I've stayed in much nicer places.

The rooms are not en-suite which was a first for a B&B for me - and totally unexpected also! On hotels.com and Expedia, it didn't mention the shared bathrooms.

Price was therefore too high considering this fact.

Free shuttle to nearby Gatwick Airport was nice however, although standard for the B&B guest houses in the area.

Room Tip: Make sure you have your own shower gel and shampoo - none provided.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank JasonL4
Masslink, Owner at Masslink Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2015

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at Masslink Guest House.

We welcome all feedback and although it is never encouraging to receive negative comments this information is vital to us to improve on the quality, comfort and service we offer.

We would be more than happy to discuss any further points from you stay if you wanted to contact us on enquiries@masslinkguesthouse.co.uk

Reviewed 27 July 2015

I booked a room here, through Expedia, because I had an early flight out of Gatwick. Although I had a booking receipt from Expedia that said I'd paid I had to resubmit payment when I arrived to Masslink.

That check in process was horrific. I'd just spent 20 minutes dragging my luggage through Horley to get to Masslink. When I turn up hot, sweaty, and tired at 8p I have to ring the doorbell for 5 minutes before anyone turns up to open it. The man who answers the door doesn't give me his name just tells me to fill out a guest card and demands payment for my stay. I haven't even gotten in the door yet!!! I'm so bewildered that I reach for my credit card before I can think things through. He rudely informs me that there will be a 3% surcharge for using a card. When I ask if it's the same for debit cards he says yes. By now I've remembered my confirmation and remind him that in fact I've already paid, not to mention I haven't even seen my accommodation yet (I'm still standing in the entry way) and being TOLD to pay before I can move further into the premise.

In all the BnB's and hotels I've stayed out over the years the BILL IS SORTED ON CHECKOUT! He rudely argues with me that my confirmation, saying explicitly that I had paid, was wrong. Clearly he's not going to let me in so I decide I'll pay and deal with the erroneous charge later. When I complain about a surcharge for anything but cash, this was not mentioned on the website when I made my booking, not to mention I'd already PAID!!!, he again is incredibly flippant and rude and goes 'it's only £ 1.80.' That's almost $4 extra dollars I have to pay , if it's such a little bit of money then they should eat the cost and strike it off my bill. Not to mention when I booked this room I was quoted at $69, with this fee and the change in exchange rate over the past few weeks my bill has now gone up by $10. There were several other properties that I was looking at that had a price discrepancy of about that.

Once I've finally paid the insults just keep coming. This man who has still not introduced himself turns to me and says 'do you really need both of your bags brought up?' What kind of question is that? Yes, it's my luggage I've just been extorted at the front door of course I want my things with me.

We finally get upstairs and the room is old. The carpet threadbare , the walls peeling and yellowing. The bed while clean is lumpy and you can feel the springs in the mattress. The room is an oven, there's no draft at all and of the two single beds in the room they've only made up the one near the door and so I get to hear people banging about all night. I think I got 4 hrs of sleep when I paid for full nights rest.

My flight was at 7a the next morning and a taxi was supposed to pick us up at 5:30. The company they used showed up late. When I got to the airport I'd found my flight was being delayed by almost 7 hours. I tried to ring Masslink to say I wanted to come back and sleep some more, checkout wasn't till 11a and I should have been allowed my full use. However, I couldn't get thorough. No one picked up and I wasn't going to pay for a taxi back to stand on the front door in the event they didn't answer that either.

Horrific experience. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Total rip off. As someone who has lived and traveled in the UK there are much better accommodations for the same if not a bit more.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Devon-Elizabeth S

Reviewed 14 July 2015 via mobile

Stayed July of 2015 for an early morning flight.

We were able to walk via a beautiful pedestrian footpath in ~25min to the property from Gatwick Airport.

Wi-fi is free and the bedroom is a nice size. The property and room are clean and well kept, but the bed could use a swap - not overly comfortable, but also not the worst I've slept in.

Taxi transit to Gatwick Airport in the morning is included in the price of your stay, and they are able to facilitate early morning flights.

The main town is a short walk away (10 min on foot) which has a pharmacy, post and supermarket.

Parking is available on-site.

Overall, an excellent option for the price to stay near the airport or see the surrounding area.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Masslink, Owner at Masslink Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2015

Thank you for your review of Masslink Guest House. We were pleased to be of assistance and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2015

If you have an early flight from Gatwick then I would recommend this guesthouse. Basic but cosy, breakfast and owners are nice and the area is lovely too. Bear in mind that you may have to share a bathroom.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the complimentary review and your generous comments about Masslink Guest House. I do hope you will come to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2015 via mobile

Stayed one night as I had missed my train connection due to a flight delay. Good value, clean room, comfortable bed. Also has tea/coffee making facilities in room. Shared bathroom, but this was not a problem as the bathroom was near to my room. Had a free transfer next morning to train station in Gatwick. Would definitely stay again as so convenient for early flights or late arrival Gatwick .

Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank gowrie12
Masslink, Owner at Masslink Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2015