“Great afternoon tea but staff are few and far between”

Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We just returned from afternoon tea for a birthday surprise, at Langshott Manor, and we had a lovely time. There were eight of us, which was a little tricky to book, but we ended up in a private room which was very nice. A couple of our friends arrived very early and waited for about half an hour before they saw a member of staff. They tried to order some crisps and a drink, but the crisps never arrived which was a shame. Once all our party arrived, the tea arrived quickly and was delightful, absolutely no complaints there. But once the food was served, and our tea pot refreshed, we didn't see a member of staff for quite some time and had to hunt someone down to get the bill. The toilets are a little difficult to find, but were very clean...however watch the step down! There isn't a sign to the toilets and the door is not labelled, its behind the reception area.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Found this place by accident, and glad I did. Langshott Manor is a 16th century manor home with an abundance of character and old world charm. The rooms are a classy mix of old and new, and are very well fitted with beautiful linens, towels and furnishings. A great dining experience and good full english breakfast. You will remember this place for the architecture, the solid wood doors, the adjoining moat, the wildlife and the classy rooms..

THE PROS: Great value for money. Beautiful and historic building with loads of character. The rooms are very well designed and well furnished. Beautiful bathroom. Good location for Gatwick.

THE CONS: Not much: hair dryer & kettle from the 80's, and still get irked by a room service delivery charge (£4+).

Beautiful historic manor, with well designed rooms. If you want a luxury boutique hotel with real charm then you must try this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Bulletpoint
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I recently went for afternoon tea at Langshott Manor and was very disappointed. The service was fantastic, I couldn't have asked for more, however, the food and the room that I was in were both pretty bad.

Firstly, the room was quite run down and shabby. I wouldn't have minded so much if the food was good, but there was so little of it and it was all very bland and generally not very nice. I am not a fussy eater at all, I eat almost everything and so it takes a lot for me to say I don't like something, but I only had only one mouthful of almost everything on offer. They only had fruit scones, which I found very disappointing as both my sister and I prefer plain, and I have never been for afternoon tea at a place that doesn't at least offer them. The sandwiches had loads of butter in and tasted more of butter than anything else, and the bread tasted like cheap sliced bread you'd get from a supermarket. The cakes were generally pretty awful, just not very nice at all.

I would forgive a lot if it was cheaper, but for the quality of food and the amount of food, it definitely is overpriced. I really would NOT recommend it. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mm123_10
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We always stay here if we are flying from Gatwick, so it feels like the start of the holiday. This time was no exception, and we arrived mid afternoon on the 23 April. It was probably the hottest day of the year so far and we were able to sit outside enjoying the warm sunshine whilst drinking a cold crisp white wine. We stayed in the Windsor suite which had a quirky bathroom up some spiral stairs. The decor of the room and bathroom was lovely and although the bed was small compared to our Superking at home, it was very comfy. I could be wrong but I don't think the bedrooms have air conditioning, which I think they could do with because we were quite hot and it was only April! The bathrooms are stocked with Temple Spa products which I actually use at home so I swiped the shampoo and conditioner for future use! Now the negatives, despite the room rate being pretty reasonable, the food and drinks added a vast amount to our final bill. And I mean vast! We were shocked! This hasn't put us off staying here in the future, but we would probably eat at a pub down the road, and just have a couple of drinks at the hotel. Seriously, our meal and drinks came to more than the room rate, so one night here cost just under £500. Yes, I know. £65 of that was car parking I hasten to add. You can pay £6.50 a day to park here whilst on holiday which isn't too bad I don't think. The service was very good though, and the Restaurant Manager really knows his stuff and is a great asset to the hotel. On a final note, we were sorry to see so many new housing developments springing up all around the hotel, so it is not as secluded anymore. Hopefully this won't affect too much. I will just reiterate that although food and drink is expensive here, we will still stay here in the future as it is so pretty and characterful, especially when the sun is shining.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room in the main building, not the coach houses.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago for a family members wedding, the Hotel and grounds are truly stunning and the staff upon a arrival were helpful and cheery, always a good start!
We had a room out in the courtyard which was spacious and clean and beautifully decorated, the bathroom was huge and very modern, we had a really good nights sleep in the massive comfy bed and having your own little garden/area just outside the patio doors is a real bonus.
The breakfast was lovely and the options were varied, my one gripe would be the Bar prices are absolutely ridiculous, a Brandy on it's own was £7.95 and with a dash of coke an extra £2.50!!! So all evening my drinks were coming to over £10 without adding on my husbands beer! For a country hotel they shouldn't be charging London town prices I'm afraid. That said, it wouldn't stop me going back for a visit, it really is a lovely place, I'd definitely like to try a meal there, I'd just have to make sure I've saved a lot of money for it beforehand.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

As soon as we arrived at Lanshott Manor we were greeted by a fantastic welcoming team of staff who couldn't do enough to make sure we we're going to enjoy our stay.
With a stunning room and amazing bathroom the hotel doesn't disapoint, we also ate in the retaurant and again it was simply stunning, the food came out looking like pieces of art work and with every bite we we're greeted with an expolision of flavours which all fit together and tastes amazing.
So close to Gatwick airport we will certainly be staying again rather than driving direct from cornwall to catch a plane.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed at Langshott Manor for 1 night on 3rd May 2013 with 3 friends. The experience from the original booking with Emma (who made it a delightful experience), to check in with Yvonne (who spoilt us and made sure we had everything we asked for) was excellent.

On arrival we were escorted to our rooms, the Leonardslea and the Sissinghurst, our luggage was brought along by very helpful staff. The rooms were beautiful, each had a lovely outside area with garden furniture.

The 5 course taster menu was delicious and filling, again the service in the restaurant was excellent.

Later that night we decided to order our breakfast in our rooms for the next morning, we called reception at 11.30pm, they brought the menus over and asked us to leave them outside our rooms and they would collect them later. Breakfast was delivered promptly as requested at 9.30am, it was fabulous, everything you could possible think of was provided and we sat outside in the garden area and thoroughly enjoyed the end of our stay.

We would like to take this opportunity thanks all of the staff for making our stay delightful and pass on to the manager the excellent customer service provided by your staff is a real rareity.

As a group of 4 female friends, we stay at a different hotel every 3 months and this has been the best experience by far, we have had in a very long time. Not only will we be recommending your hotel we will definately be coming back for a repeat visit, again something we have not done in a very long time.

Many thanks

Room Tip: The Leonardslea and the Sissinghurst rooms are beautiful and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 3 in Egham
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Sofitel London Gatwick
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick? Share your experiences!