“First rate service.”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“First rate service.”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

It's not cheap, (I got a deal on one of those web sites that offers discounts on luxury hotels). However, it is as pretty as it looks on its web site and the food is really excellent, the restaurant has a very pleasant atmosphere and the service is impeccable.The staff are very competent and genuinely friendly. Every care is taken to make you feel important and relaxed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 77Mary123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
london
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My partner and I decided to get married and we booked into the Langshot who offer wedding packages ideal for just the two of us. The wedding went smoothly without any fuss and generally our day was lovely. We stayed the night before so we were ready in time for our midday wedding after which we had a nice lunch and evening meal in their Mulberry Restaurant. The food is very good and the service from the waiters excellent.
The hotel itself is lovely, very old with lots of old world features if you are from America you will love it. We stayed in the Henry Eight junior suite which has a balcony overlooking the pond with ducks. This part of the hotel I guess is not original but it has been built well to fit in with the main hotel. A four Poster bed provided excellent comfort but for a suite is was quite small, the wood burning fireplace stank of burnt logs that had been half burnt and left in the fireplace stinking the room out so we had to ask for some spray and the logs to be removed.
Downside the reception staff were not pleasant at all one lady being very unhelpful considering we were getting married and needed to know quite a few things. She was actually very off hand so the Hotel Management should look at this as she is doing them no good whatsoever. You would think with a lovely hotel like this the reception staff would be lots of smiles instead of being what I would call downright miserable. In fact she let down the other staff who were all very pleasant and helpful.
Prices, well it is not cheap even charging for a newspaper in the morning given we had spent over £1500 for just 2 nights I think that was rather mean. The actual wedding part was almost £1000 which included the Room with breakfast, evening meal, 2 glasses of Champagne, 12 photos, a small room and witnesses (we used our friends in the end which the hotel wanted to charge for) plus a very small bunch of flowers. Don't book this hotel directly as it is mega expensive go through Secret Escapes or an on line booking company where it is much cheaper but beware the wine is expensive as is the food and every little tiny extra is charged.
Generally apart from the Reception staff I recommend it if you don't mind paying over the top. Be aware that it is very close to Gatwick Airport so by 6.00am the planes can be heard quite clearly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank white100
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We came here once before on our wedding night about 8 years ago - which was a huge shame because we arrived very late and somewhat 'potted' and had to get up and leave early for a flight the next day so we didn't get much of a chance to admire this beautiful old building.

Although the area is gradually being built up with a new housing estate looming, The Langshott Manor remains a tranquil place in an idyllic setting. Straight off the front of a chocolate box the building oozes creaky oak and Old English charm. The staff are warm and friendly and at no point did we feel hurried or hassled. I did feel pretty full up though, it's a matter of personal taste I guess but the supply of dainty sandwiches, scones, jam and clotted cream, a selection of two bite cakes and not forgetting the endless supply of leaf tea, was more than enough for me.

I could have stayed there all afternoon.

Thank you for a lovely afternoon, I'm more than happy to give five stars.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SnarlingDog
Katie S, General Manager at Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thankyou for adding such a lovely review. I am so pleased that after 8years Langshott Manor continues to hold such special memories for you. We hope to see you again soon.
surrey
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

We just returned from afternoon tea for a birthday surprise, at Langshott Manor, and we had a lovely time. There were eight of us, which was a little tricky to book, but we ended up in a private room which was very nice. A couple of our friends arrived very early and waited for about half an hour before they saw a member of staff. They tried to order some crisps and a drink, but the crisps never arrived which was a shame. Once all our party arrived, the tea arrived quickly and was delightful, absolutely no complaints there. But once the food was served, and our tea pot refreshed, we didn't see a member of staff for quite some time and had to hunt someone down to get the bill. The toilets are a little difficult to find, but were very clean...however watch the step down! There isn't a sign to the toilets and the door is not labelled, its behind the reception area.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, AUS & Prague, CZ
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Found this place by accident, and glad I did. Langshott Manor is a 16th century manor home with an abundance of character and old world charm. The rooms are a classy mix of old and new, and are very well fitted with beautiful linens, towels and furnishings. A great dining experience and good full english breakfast. You will remember this place for the architecture, the solid wood doors, the adjoining moat, the wildlife and the classy rooms..

THE PROS: Great value for money. Beautiful and historic building with loads of character. The rooms are very well designed and well furnished. Beautiful bathroom. Good location for Gatwick.

THE CONS: Not much: hair dryer & kettle from the 80's, and still get irked by a room service delivery charge (£4+).

Beautiful historic manor, with well designed rooms. If you want a luxury boutique hotel with real charm then you must try this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Bulletpoint
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I recently went for afternoon tea at Langshott Manor and was very disappointed. The service was fantastic, I couldn't have asked for more, however, the food and the room that I was in were both pretty bad.

Firstly, the room was quite run down and shabby. I wouldn't have minded so much if the food was good, but there was so little of it and it was all very bland and generally not very nice. I am not a fussy eater at all, I eat almost everything and so it takes a lot for me to say I don't like something, but I only had only one mouthful of almost everything on offer. They only had fruit scones, which I found very disappointing as both my sister and I prefer plain, and I have never been for afternoon tea at a place that doesn't at least offer them. The sandwiches had loads of butter in and tasted more of butter than anything else, and the bread tasted like cheap sliced bread you'd get from a supermarket. The cakes were generally pretty awful, just not very nice at all.

I would forgive a lot if it was cheaper, but for the quality of food and the amount of food, it definitely is overpriced. I really would NOT recommend it. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mm123_10
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We always stay here if we are flying from Gatwick, so it feels like the start of the holiday. This time was no exception, and we arrived mid afternoon on the 23 April. It was probably the hottest day of the year so far and we were able to sit outside enjoying the warm sunshine whilst drinking a cold crisp white wine. We stayed in the Windsor suite which had a quirky bathroom up some spiral stairs. The decor of the room and bathroom was lovely and although the bed was small compared to our Superking at home, it was very comfy. I could be wrong but I don't think the bedrooms have air conditioning, which I think they could do with because we were quite hot and it was only April! The bathrooms are stocked with Temple Spa products which I actually use at home so I swiped the shampoo and conditioner for future use! Now the negatives, despite the room rate being pretty reasonable, the food and drinks added a vast amount to our final bill. And I mean vast! We were shocked! This hasn't put us off staying here in the future, but we would probably eat at a pub down the road, and just have a couple of drinks at the hotel. Seriously, our meal and drinks came to more than the room rate, so one night here cost just under £500. Yes, I know. £65 of that was car parking I hasten to add. You can pay £6.50 a day to park here whilst on holiday which isn't too bad I don't think. The service was very good though, and the Restaurant Manager really knows his stuff and is a great asset to the hotel. On a final note, we were sorry to see so many new housing developments springing up all around the hotel, so it is not as secluded anymore. Hopefully this won't affect too much. I will just reiterate that although food and drink is expensive here, we will still stay here in the future as it is so pretty and characterful, especially when the sun is shining.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room in the main building, not the coach houses.