“just what we were looking for” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant

Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Phoenix
“just what we were looking for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

I recently stayed at the Gatwick Belmont on two layovers at Gatwick Airport. We were looking for a reasonably priced guest house that offered free shuttle service to/from the airport and offered clean rooms with a good hot shower. We were very pleased with the facility. Upon arrival at the airport early in the morning, we went to the free phones located at the airport for hotel shuttles. Within 15 minutes, the shuttle arrived and brought us to the hotel which was a short 5 minute drive from the airport. It was well before prescribed check-in time, but 2 rooms were ready and we were provided with early check-in. This was really appreciated since we had been on an overnight flight and really looked forward to a shower and change of clothes. The hotel is within easy walking distance (about a 10 minute walk) of a small town called Horley. Horley offers several places to eat and some small shops to browse while recovering from jet lag. There is also a large grocery store and it is just a pleasant place to walk around. The hotel room was small, but perfectly fine for the short stay on the way in and the way out of Gatwick. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. We did not eat at the hotel, but spoke to other guests who did and they raved about the food. They had the fish and chips. The hotel has a small bar and a friendly atmosphere. The staff and owners were quite friendly and offered great service. I stayed there again the night before an early flight out of Gatwick. Again, the shuttle service was great. You let the desk know what time you want to leave the night before, and the shuttle left promptly on time. The front desk also printed boarding passes for us. In addition, there was a computer with internet service available at no charge (a donation to a charity was recommended lieu of a charge). I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank budgettraveler8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Polish first
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

I stayed one night each way to and from a trip to Italy. Calling for pickup service was simple and the van showed up promptly. Courteous drivers at all times. Stayed in room 1 and then room 9. Both were more than adequate with comfy beds, good showers and hot water. Tea pots are provided. It is a close walk into Horley, which has ample restaurants and a large Waitrose grocery store. The breakfast was quite good. Absolutely would stay again. They even have a computer that you can use for free-although a donation to their favourite charity is appreciated.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank fencejumper
bermuda
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

My friend and I have stayed at the Belmont 3 times now and were horrified to find that this time, despite our booking being pre-payed, they demanded a credit card in order to " make sure you don't leave having broken the door or something."
On further questioning we were informed that their policy had recently changed and they needed credit cards from every guest to secure against potential breakages, and that they would keep these details for one week after our departure. Our stay, as I expect for most people, was only one night, and when it was pointed out that I was not happy to leave them with my details, I was offered no alternative.
On speaking to the person at reception the following morning, I was informed that the night porter had made a mistake, and that there was an alternative to leaving my card details. In fact, all they require is a £20 cash deposit and there would be no need to give your card details.
I am not at all happy to leave my credit card open for one week after an one night stay. What defence would I have if they decided to charge me for damage done by the following guest, for example?
I can understand that they may have experienced difficulties with people who booked through a 3rd party, like Flybe as we did, as they do not have any card details. What I object to is NOT being given all of the options, and I do NOT agree that it is acceptable for them to keep my card details for one week after I check out.
I shall not be staying here again.
The manager (Gary Hagerty) was supposed to be on duty at 0930 the morning that we checked out as we had requested to discuss this with him. He was not available for comment and he had not arrived by 1030 when we had to leave.

• Liked — Location to Gatwick Airport
  • Disliked — Credit card policy
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2009

I arrived at Gatwick Airport at around 8pm, once I had called the Gatwick Belmont from their free phone I was picked up within 10 mins by a very friendly member of their staff. On arrival at reception I was greeted with a warm welcome, I then made my way to my room which was a bit on the small side but perfect for a 1 night stop over it had everything I needed en suite bathroom, colour tv, tea/coffe making facilities etc. I needed to get into London the next day and was given plenty of help and information on trains and buses available the next morning and also done some research myself using their PC with free internet access. I had a great meal in their relaxing bar and restaurant and then settled down for a good nites sleep. In the morning their was a nice breakfast available although it did end very early 8.45 am. The transfers back to Gatwick to catch my train were just as prompt as the night before. All in all very satisfied would definately stay again.

• Liked — Friendly staff willing to help and transfers
  • Disliked — Small TV
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank NewYorkCliff
Warsaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2008

Stayed at Gatwick Belmont overnight after a flight before a meeting next day. The room and the ensuite facilities might had been modest (small bathroom) but the hotel had all that I needed and more: friendly staff: from the free pickup at the airport, the reception, bartender, breakfast staff and housekeeping. Quiet and adequate room with a desk to do some work. Free wifi. Cooked breakfast. Train station within a walk. Would stay again if in Gatwick.

• Liked — friendly staff, free wifi, complimentary airport pickup
  • Disliked — smallish bathroom althouh I did not really mind it for single night
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

Stayed at this guest house for 1 night with our 4 children and had a whole landing with 2 rooms and a private bathroom.this was excelant for us and it was very good value.The breakfast was very good and i would definately go back.

• Liked — securenothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

This is the second time that i have stayed at the Gatwick Belmont and once again i could not fault it. I had a party of 9 booked in for the one night and the service was of the usual high standard. The rooms were clean, warm and adequate for one nights rest before an early flight. The small bar provided welcome refreshment and the food menu was ample to satify the group. I will definietley use this Guesthouse again if i need to book an early flight from near by Gatwick Airport.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Newry82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#6 of 11 in Horley
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews

Been to Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!