“Gatwick Belmont - thoroughly recommended, value for money!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant

Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
London
“Gatwick Belmont - thoroughly recommended, value for money!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

It may not be the most salubrious hotel in Sussex, but I am hard pushed to fault the Gatwick Belmont for it's value for money and fantastic location. It's just 5 minutes from the terminals, but it doesn't seem to be under the airport's flight paths, so it's surprisingly quiet for it's proximity. The airport transfers are frequent, quick and efficient (friendly drivers, helpful with bags - on one occasion the manager drove me himself on an unscheduled transfer, when no one was waiting - A++ service !) so no complaints here - although if your return flight at Gatwick is after 9pm you will need to book a taxi, as I did (hence 4/5 stars for service, otherwise 5!) , but the fare was only £6 approx.

I have used the guest house four times over the last two years and have found the hotel's staff helpful, welcoming and professional and the facilities as one would expect. Nice cozy lounge/ bar (didn't eat there, but menu and prices looked reasonable), too, and internet access. I have only stayed overnight on one occasions and found the rooms to be basic, but clean, well-serviced and as described on their website. all you need for a decent nights sleep, really.

On 3 out of 4 occasions I could not fault the airport parking facility. My car was ready and waiting on my arrival (except one one occasion in the early hours of the morning, there was a slight mix up but that was resolved swiftly and fairly painlessly by the overnight desk clerk).

I will certainly be continuing to use the Gatwick Belmont whenever I fly in and out of Gatwick. It may not be the Hilton, but it's great value for money and the location A++. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Polish first
Bern
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

Although when booking with easyjet hotels the following text appears describing the hotel and services:

"Room Notes: ... Free collection from Gatwick Airport 9am to 9pm. Free transfer going to Gatwick Airport 24 hours."

The hotel actually told us (me, my wife, daughter 15 and son 12) at arrival that there was going to be a 10£ fee for collection and another 10£ fee to take us back. A local taxi from the airport to the hotel is only 7-8£. The shuttle fee was actually going to make a 20% increase in the price of the room. When we refused to pay for this "free shuttle service" ("free shuttle service" was also written all over hotels bus) the hotel refused to give us our prepaid room and we had to look for another hotel. To be fair, easyjet gave us our money back, but this was such a bad reception after a long trip, that we strongly advise against booking at this hotel, especially if one of your criteria is good service and free transfer to and from the airport.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank r0c0c0
Playa Flamenca, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

.hotel is in a very good location for gatwick airport and their pick up service was prompt but that is where it ended for us. when we arrived at the hotel we were told that they had no family room for us that we had booked 12 months previously. why i ask ? their answer to this was that i hadn't rang my credit card details into them when my new card arrived, i assured them that i had and that i wouldn't travel from spain knowing that i hadn't done this. the desk staff got very angry and was calling us a liars and in the end they rang another hotel down the road for us. while we were waiting for transport to the other hotel i asked to see what card details they had of mine, what a shock they got when they had the new card details down, from that it was obvious that we had rang the details in and they had given the room away. not a good start to our orlando vacation

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sunloverSpain
scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Stayed here as an overnight stay before flying to Orlando. I booked 2 double rooms with en suite bathrooms through airmiles but on entering our rooms one was a double and the other a twin with both rooms sharing the same bathroom. After speaking to the reception staff my husband and I were moved from the twin room to an en suite double double but I was very disappointed. The shower room was tiny and resembled something you would find in a static caravan, Thankfully we are both slim as someone above average weight would struggle to find room to turn around in this very claustrophobic cupboard. The room was clean but rather dated , the bed was very uncomfortable and it felt like I was lying on a slope so no chance of a good nights rest before a long haul flight. The self service breakfast buffet was good and set us up for the day. There is also free internet access and a courtesy coach to the airport . To sum up I would say the hotel is clean, staff friendly and the location is ideal if travelling from Gatwick airport but there are numerous guest houses in that area so I would probably take more time to choose somewhere else should I require accommodation in that area in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

I should have been worried that we had to pay for the room before we saw it. In our room our bed leaned to one side meaning I had to hold on to my husband as I was sliding out of bed. The window let the breeze in through the large crack in it. The TV ariel was missing so we could not use the TV. The flex on the kettle was about 2 inches long. The radio did not work. Now the toilet/bathroom. Firstly it had the constant odour of feaces. It was so small you could have a shower, go to the tolielt and clean your teeth all at the same time. It was awful. The walls of the room were so thin you could hear eveything going on in other rooms. It was very noisey. Now the food. For evening meal my husband and I ordered fish and chips. Our son had gammon. The fish was covered in batter and we held it up and the amount of fat that ran from it was disgusting. My son could not eat the gammon as it was white with salt. The onlt good thing about our stay was it included transport to the airport, driven by Annie Oakley, complete with fag hanging out of her mouth. Stay away, go anywhere but here.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank splodg
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Belmont the night before flying from Gatwick to Egypt to celebrate our Honeymoon (20th April)

We arrived in Gatwick too late for the free shuttle bus but it was a very quick taxi journey from the airport to the guest house. We did use the service to the airport in the morning though and it was very quick and efficient - a definite plus point!

Check-in was quick and efficient, we were shown how to get to our room and directions to the bar/restaurant. Our room was clean and comfortable and met our needs. The Bar/restaurant is also very nice, we arrived too late for food but we did have a relaxing drink and found the staff to be very friendly.

Overall it was a good stay and a nice way to start off our Honeymoon. If we ever fly from Gatwick again we would definitely stay at the Belmont again as we were definitely impressed with the place.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

Does what it says on the tin. Comfortable, functional and excellent Transport. Short walk into Town Centre. One problem - 04.15 Wake up call didn't materialise so set your alarm just in case.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
#6 of 11 in Horley
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
Hampton by Hilton London Gatwick Airport
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!