“Lovely staff but leaves a lot to be desired”

Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I think I ought to start by saying that I have stayed in many different types of accommodation (generally cheap and cheerful) and tend to go along with the "it's just a place to get your head down" type of approach.

The staff here were lovely and really welcoming. However, strangely, when we returned from our night out in London at 4AM, we were informed that they had "waited ages" for us to return. I didn't quite understand why we were informed of this, given that it's a 24 hour reception (and had checked this prior to heading into London for the night). We also had to wait for ages to get into the hotel as the night bell didn't work (not good on a freezing cold night in December!).

The room looked fine. Beds were clean but VERY VERY soft so, if you've got a bad back, bear this in mind.

The en-suite bathroom was very dated and there was no cold water. Both taps ran hot. Also, the bathroom smelt strongly of stale urine and, when the toilet flushed, we were left with a smell of sewage.

The room was boiling hot, even with the windows open.

The worst part was when we got woken up by kids screaming and shouting in the corridor at 7.30AM and people slamming their doors. Given that this is more like a house than a hotel (ie. no sound proofing and chip board doors), there is no way you can escape the immense amount of noise. I guess most people are getting up early to go to the airport but I did feel for anyone who had arrived late after a long flight. We were meant to have a late check out but we left at 8.30AM because there was no point in trying to sleep any longer.

Basically, a pleasant enough place but, if you are concerned about cleanliness of bathrooms, and noise, I would avoid this place. For our purpose, it didn't suit but I might stay there if I was needing to get an early flight the next morning because you've got no chance of sleeping in!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed 4 November 2010

We checked in late to this hotel & left early in the morning to catch our flights to Cyprus. The welcome we received on arrival was excellent & we were shown to a very nice clean, spacious room. We decided to have a nightcap in the very welcoming bar & restaurant.before retiring for the night. Breakfast was first class & the hotel staff parked our car for 10 days before taking us to Gatwick airport in their large minibus. We will be staying at the Gatwick Belmont again

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Stayed for one night while on business, this was a very friendly hotel. All the staff who I had contact with were exceptional, the hotel offers food and there is also a cozy bar were you can relax on a leather sofa, total bliss after a long day. My room was nice and had everything that I needed. I would stay here again, excellent value for money.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Deb-snovice
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Pros: Cozy, clean, free full & hot Irish breakfast, airport shuttle, nice little pub/restaurant downstairs, it has character, very close to airport, friendly staff, fairly cheap price

Cons: Noisy (thin walls), old-fashion skeleton keys (they were difficult for me to use), airport shuttle only runs 9am-9pm (need to get a taxi outside those hours)

I may stay elsewhere next time, however, this is defiantely a good option for a quick night's stay or a morning flight from Gatwick.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lotzasmiles
Reviewed 6 October 2010

With my husband we stayed at Belmont in september before our morning flight. It's 5 minutes drive from airport and out of the way of the planes landing and taking off (both big plus). The food in the pub is really good and service (pub and guest house) as well. BUT. I didn't sleep whole night. The bed was too hard and as our room was right next to reception, we could here everything. Also the wall was in a weird shape, so that the light that was outside our door was somehow shining through and since I need dark to sleep, I didn't get any sleep at all and we had to be up 4.30...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jbsh061116
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it was very near the airport, but there was no noise. The rooms were clean and very good for 1 nights stay. We also had a meal in the restaraunt which was excellent. This was also one of very few that has breakfast included, this was buffetb style with plenty of choice. The only downside was that the bed was very soft and uncomfortable, but I can live with that for the cost ! The parking was easy and the mini bus to the airport included in the price. In will definately use the Belmont again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

The family atmosphere is great, we met new friends from all over the world who are mainly staying there overnight for flights out the next morning at Gatwick. The food is very tasty much a like a decent pub, the service was excellent. Our smaller room was perfect....clean, easily accessible, and great shower. Being only about 5 minutes from Gatwick, the van service provided for the guests is really fast. We have already booked for our holiday to stay here before we fly.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport

Been to Gatwick Belmont Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!