“Gumberland House Gatwick”

London
“Gumberland House Gatwick”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Enkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Allways a warm welcome, makes one feel like part of the family from Carmel, really appreciate their guest's and look after them well, great breakfast and nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed for three nights here after reading online reviews and wasn't disappointed. The owners are very helpful and friendly. I am vegan and Carmel was happy to provide a suitable breakfast. Free wifi too. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Great Britain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

A lovely clean B&B. Stayed here for an overnight stay prior to going on holiday.

The home made bread pudding and coffee on arrival was a nice touch.

The breakfast was lovely (continental due to early flight).

Altough a lovely B&B myself and partner plus another couple will not be staying here again. We felt very uncomfortable during our stay. My friend's husband wanted the patio door locked on the balcony due to having passports, money and flight and cruise tickets in the room, apparently this was not looked on favourably and they had to insist their wishes were carried out. During the night my friends were woken up by loud voices and laughing by the people coming into their room late at night. The following morning we got told to shhh not once not twice but at least 6 times, I must add that we (both couples) are not loud by any means and we were told by Carmel that the couple came in late last night/early morning and to be quiet. I replied oh yes that is right pity they did not show the same courstesy to my friends and I hope that Carmel told them off in the morning. When we were leaving we were told not to close the car doors but Carmel would do this as she would close them quietly. We were told off again when we put our bits and pieces in our car the morning we left as we slammed the car boot (we called it closing the car boot).

As we were having an early continental we were explained to about the breakfast and where we had to sit which was a table in front of the cereals/toaster/kettle/bread etc which was housed on a sideboard. It was a table laid out for 8 people my partner sat one chair over from me due to someone previously having had breakfast and my friends sat to the right of me and my gosh what a fuss Carmel made about that until I said he sat where he did because someone used the other place. There were workman in the guest house at the same time and sat at our tabe which was very difficult for them to made toast, tea etc as we were in their way because of the seats. Carmel continued to fuss in the dining room, putting the bread and cereal straight and tidyiing up the table which again made us feel very uncomfortable.

I also have some concerns over the parking of the cars so tightly that Clive has to clambour over the front passenger seat to get out of the car. When we parked our car at the guest house during the day we reversed our car into the space and we were told by Clive to drive it in as there is mud which would be dragged into the house - wonder if he takes that into considertion when he clambours over the front seats of the car?

The room we had was ok, in the bathroom a bath panel was broken and in the bedroom one of lamps did not work and I make the same comment someone else made why would you have a bath squeezy/sponge for your customers to use - I would certainly not use and I dont think anyone else would. Both our rooms were family rooms - not sure why we were not given a double room which had chairs in which would have been better as mine had bunk bed in which restricted the space.

We had a kettle with tea bags/coffee and one sachet of hot chocolate and one packet of biscuits (3), not sure why as there were two of us in the room. When I asked Carmel for more milk as when using the milk it all curdled due to being out of date. I was make to feel like I was lying as Clive went into the kitchen and checked the box and said they were all August and Carmel scrutinised the milk and said they always rotate the milk this was quite funny as Carmel did not know where the date was on the container until I showed her - this to me was no big deal but again made to feel uncomfortable.

The transfer in the morning was quick - we were glad to go
The transfer on our return took a while to get through as phone was constantly engaged but obviously a good thing for them but not for us waiting in the rain.

Room Tip: If booking 2 or more rooms make sure you have the front rooms if leaving early and you wont be told...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank kstoneg
Raunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

If you are looking for a comfortable over night stay before your flight, this is the place to stay, Carmel & Clive are wonderful host's, the accomodation is first class, and so clean you could eat off the floor, the room we had on the ground floor was beautiful and a lovely walk in shower, the breakfast was supurb a full english which sets you up a treat for a long haul flight. If we fly out from gatwick again we would never stay anywhere else, and there are lots of good restaurants within walking distance, well done Carmel & Clive for such a great start to our holiday, from Sylvia & Joe x

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Raunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Granada, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

In a few words, I could not have found a better B&B in the Gatwick area. Same quality of service as a good hotel, but with much more charm, character, and friendliness from the staff.

I arrived on a 10-hour flight from San Francisco, California on June 26. After taking the National Express coach shuttle from Heathrow to Gatwick (since my flight was leaving from Gatwick on following day), I used the courtesy telephone by the bus stops to give the B&B a call so they would pick me up. Carmel (one of the owners, along with her husband Clive) came on their Vauxhall Zafira in less than 10 minutes, introduced herself, and took me to the B&B, which is a very short ride from the airport.

Once there, she gave me the keys to my room and kindly helped take my baggage upstairs. I was offered a triple room, all for myself! The room had nice exterior views to the peaceful and quiet Horley, the village in which the B&B is located. Amenities included the usual: kettle + tea biscuits, tea, hot chocolate, etc, TV, WI-FI. It was nice to have a full bathroom with BIG bottles of shower gel and shampoo, that was a plus for me! Lots of drawer and wardrobe space if you need it, and the beds were super comfortable! Carmel asked me if I had dinner plans in case she needed to recommend a local pub or restaurant, and she booked me in for breakfast at 8:30, telling me that she would give me a ride to the airport at 12:30. She contacted me by email after I made the reservation a few days in advance, asking about my travel arrangements, so she knew everything about where I was arriving, what time I had to leave the following day, etc.

The breakfast room is extremely nice, the furniture and table service makes you feel like you are in a 5-star hotel, no joke! I did not have to do anything, since Clive and Carmel brought me tea, toasts, and a deliciously cooked English breakfast! After that, I was all ready to go to the airport. Even though check-out time was 10am, there is a nice guests lounge in which you can relax before you head out for the airport. Even though I originally told her that I would need a ride to the airport at 12:30, I rescheduled with no problems at all ("I can give you a lift whenever you like, even in 5 minutes from now!", she said). The check-out process was easy as pie, and before Clive gave me the complimentary ride to Gatwick Airport, Carmel came out and said goodbye personally.

All in all, I can say that this has been the best experience in a lodging place for me overall. Who needs the luxury of a 5-star hotel if you can have a pleasant stay in the countryside, 5 minutes from Gatwick, and receiving a great and warm personal attention that only devoted owners like Carmel and Clive can provide you? I would recommend this B&B to everyone, whether you are an individual or a family with kids! This place is especially good if you only have one night in London between transfer flights, or you just arrived, or you are spending a night in London before flying out from Gatwick.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank pmontiel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick

Been to Cumberland House Gatwick? Share your experiences!