“Comfortable, very nice owners”

and 1 more site!
Cumberland House Gatwick
Ranked #2 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Comfortable, very nice owners”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I was having a nightmare of a journey home after my connecting flight was cancelled but my short stay at Cumberland house really helped me recharge my batteries. Carmel was extremely considerate and caring. She came to pick me up at 5 AM from Gatwick, let me sleep in and have a late breakfast and then drove me back to the airport. The room was nice and cozy, with a no-fuss check in and check out - exactly what I needed at that moment. The place is very clean and the fruit salad was great.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Prolett
carmel f, Owner at Cumberland House Gatwick, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Prolett, Thank you for your excellent feedback. I remember you arriving, you were so exhausted as your journey was not quite going to plan for you. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us and maybe one day you might even come back to stay@cumberlandhousegatwick.com Warm Regards Carmel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
New York
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I had two very pleasant stays at Cumberland House last month, before and after a short holiday in Italy. The flight to Italy was not without drama and, not surprisingly, the heroine of the story was Carmel. As we were preparing to check in for our flight, I heard an announcement that I was to report to the Information Desk immediately. I could not imagine what was going on. When I arrived at the Information Desk, I was told that Carmel had called to say that I had left my passport case behind and she was on the way to the airport to bring it to me. The case contained not only my passport, but quite a lot of cash, a credit card, and a debit card. A very nice young man volunteered to race out to the passenger delivery area to retrieve it for me and we managed to check in on time for our flight. There is no doubt that Carmel saved the day.
After our week in Italy, we returned to Cumberland House and our party of four from the US were joined by four friends from Portugal. When the Portuguese contingent arrived, on a very cold afternoon, Carmel warmed them up with tea, coffee, hot chocolate and some of her homemade bread pudding. And when we came down for breakfast the next morning, we found a table set for eight with a large bowl of freshly-cut fruit as the star attraction - a wonderful way to start the day.
Although I have stayed at Cumberland House many times, this was a first for all of the others and they were not disappointed!
I would not hesitate for one moment to recommend Cumberland House to anyone in need of accommodation near Gatwick. I am convinced that this is still the very best choice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Velhota, It is always great to see you. It was lovely for us to meet your family on this trip. The surprise get together for your friend was 'the best' it was so nice that she could come over from Portugal. Hope to see you again soon. Warm Regards Carmel.
Pembroke
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Not only is this a superb B & B with luxury bedrooms and en-suites and delicious multi-choice breakfasts (even scrambled egg with smoked salmon as an alternative to full English), you can leave your car there when travelling from Gatwick, at very modest cost, including chauffeuring you to the airport,and collecting you on your return, at any time of day or night. Carmel and Clive go out of their way to give a truly personal service.
An added bonus is a lovely old country pub within easy walking distance serving a wide range of excellent evening meals (The Six Bells at Horley).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Smudge242, Thank You for your excellent feedback. It is always lovely to see you both. We are nearly there now with renovating the bedrooms....2 more Luxury rooms will be available from the 17th February and hopefully the remaining 3 will be complete by the end of March 2014. Glad you like the upgraded Breakfast Menu, it is going down a treat! Hope your next flight will be Gatwick again. Warm Regards
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed here the night before our holiday in October. Check in was quick and easy. The room was a good standard with a nice bathroom. We had full english breakfast the following morning which was great... and the owners are very pleasant. Will definitely stay here again next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
carmel f, Owner at Cumberland House Gatwick, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Hi CraigShadd, Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor.com We really appreciated you taking the time to do so. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Cumberland House met your expectations. We look forward to your next stay@cumberlandhousegatwick.com
Warm Regards
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

For the second time we stayed here prior to an early morning flight, and again had a luxury twin with a super, newly refitted and spacious en-suite shower/wet room. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and had everything we needed. Carmel & Clive were great hosts and work very hard - nothing was too much trouble and they made us feel very welcome. The airport transfers were prompt and hassle-free, and it was reassuring to know our car was in safe hands. We have yet to sample the delights of a cooked breakfast owing to early flights and us having no appetite at such an early hour … but maybe one day!

Since discovering Cumberland House we will never stay anywhere else prior to flying, nor bother with off-airport car parks which have often resulted in us having to lug heavy cases on to high luggage racks on busy buses and waiting for transfers. All of that is now a thing of the past thanks to Cumberland House’s excellent service!

Well done and thanks for getting our holiday off to a great start. See you again next time we fly from Gatwick!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear I_Luv_Hols_64, It was lovely having you stay at Cumberland House. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.

"Our aim is for you to leave Cumberland House relaxed, refreshed and with your expectations for your stay exceeded" and we are pleased that we met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cumberland House on your next holiday.

Warm Regards
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have read some of the reviews about this place and some people have not been to kind to the man who runs this with his wife....they could of had a since of humour bypass ....because it really is a great place to stay and great people who run it...and one of the loveliest breakfasts iv had....
Great nights sleep...you can leave your car there and they will take you to and from the airport .....you all need to book and stay here

Room Tip: Book early as its such a great place it might get full quickly
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Lisa w, Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor.com We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at Cumberland House. Hopefully your next holiday will mean that you fly from Gatwick again. Warm regards Carmel 01293 825800
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

After writing so many reviews about CHG over the years, it's a job to find more different words to say thank you again for the perfect accomadation and keepers of such a fine establishment. I think we have occupied every room in the house over as many years and always found it faultless.
As is said in other reviews, Carmel and Clive are such a lovely couple and the breakfasts and banter is worth waking up for !!
The refurbished rooms are tip top and most comfortable.
Keep up the good work, we appreciate it

Room Tip: All rooms good but No 4 (the former breakfast room) is my favorite because I can see the Veteran car...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Colin B, Thank you for your Feedback on Tripadvisor. It is always lovely to see you. We are on the last laps now with renovating our bedrooms and they are looking fabulous. Remind me when you make your reservation again for November that you like Room 4. stay@cumberlandhousegatwick.com Warm Regards Carmel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick

Been to Cumberland House Gatwick? Share your experiences!