“Why am I disappointed with Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Welcome was warm and efficient, the rooms as expected so far so good.

In the morning 8.00 am I went down for breakfast, the cleaners had already swooped and a decorating table had appeared in the hall, with open paint tins.

After breakfast I checked out and asked the lady on reception to keep the access to the room open for another 30 mins. Returning to the room the access had been cancelled.

Down to reception again, no apology and at no time at reception I was not asked how my stay was.

Grumpy minor points, but still if you sell high, you should deliver high standards.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear rjcrowther,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is nice to know that our rooms met your liking and you had a good check-in experience. However, it is regrettable that your breakfast experience was sub par and the service received did not meet your standards. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. This will definitely be addressed with the appropriate departments.

Again, thanks for your review and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The staff here are friendly and professional - we booked a stay/park package and we arrived at 3.30pm ish, parking was easy, check in was easy, dealing with the parking was very simple. We had an executive room, which I don't feel was worth the money (complimentary water and bar of chocolate, plus bath robes/slippers) in comparison to executive perks which you get in hotels such as the Crowne Plaza, but the room was very spacious, quiet, had good temperature control and the bed was comfortable. Food and drink is quite expensive but not abnormal for a London airport hotel. We took a taxi from the hotel to the aiport for £9, or the shuttle bus is £3 per person, it took around 10 mins in a taxi. Reception booked our taxi for us the night before and it was bang on time. We left our car keys with the hotel, it took all of 2 minutes when we returned to get our keys back and have the parking ticket validated, the car had been moved to a pick up area - I was impressed with the ease of the parking service and would definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had an executive level room and it was really quiet, it overlooked the car park and main road but...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Allie1234,

I appreciate that you took the time to review our property. It is good to know that you found our staff to be accommodating and friendly. Furthermore, I am happy that our parking service was of ease for you. It is always hugely motivating on our part to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

We hope the next time you are in the area, you choose us again for your lodging needs.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel just couldnt be better for Park and Stay. The rooms are spacious and great, and the food in the restaurant first class. All the staff are excellent, and we find it our first choice for when ever we are travelling from Gatwick.
Some little tips, take an overnight bag and hand your keys into reception in the morning when using it for park and stay.
Also on arrival they often try to get you to book breakfast, but fail to tell you that a cheaper and simply breakfast option is available in the bar area, ie bacon buttie etc., which is often all you want before flying.
Great location. We used Virgins twylight check in, and got rid of our bags before we checked into the hotel, which meant in the morning we only had hand luggage with us on the bus., to the terminal.

Room Tip: We always ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our room was impressively dark for an English hotel - no light pollution. We stayed Saturday night and I was really impressed with the effort the front desk staff made to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
agehig, Manager at Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank You for your review, we appreciate your comments and are very happy to hear you were impressed with the curtains!

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I'm just sat in the bar , having stayed here umpteen times. Reading the recent reviews I felt compelled to write to say how great the staff have been since I arrived. Gabriella on reception could not have been more helpful and jolly , whilst the girls in the bar tonight are lovely, bubbly and attentive. Krisztina and Sabina are doing a great job. The food here is always pretty good for hotel bar fodder. I agree with some downsides to this hotel and the rooms are a little tired and the mini bar is empty ( though as a platinum member they always are no matter where in the UK I stay!? Ref previous feedback)
The people make this place and I hope their management are reading this !
Suggest readers wanting personal service choose this place every time over the shoddy Hilton offer!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank theseeds
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a 'Platinum' card holder for Holiday Inn and a big fan of the Holiday Inn chain - i use Holiday Inn hotels probably once a week.

- Check in can be very busy at this hotel;
- I was upgraded to an 'executive room' as a platinum card holder - two single beds on wheels that moved around the bedroom on their own :-)
- Typical tired Holiday Inn furniture and carpets
- Bathroom is not very inspiring but reasonably clean;
- Nothing in the mini bar - strange for an Executive room;
- Car parking is a bit of a nightmare and trying to get out at 4.00 am in the morning is always a bit of a lottery - usually the ticket doesn't work and you have to buzz reception from the exit barrier (if the barrier is not broken - as it was on this last trip;

But my biggest gripe is about the service (or lack of it) in the bar area: there are little electronic buzzers on each table that you have to press to register you want serving. I pressed mine 5 times and still no service - after 15 to 20 minutes waiting I had to intercept a waitress to ask to be served. (I was not alone in waiting for service)

Eventually the waitress took my order - food arrrived - but no drink. Had to ask again where my 'Becks' had got to.

Drink eventually arrived after I had eaten my food - only to be asked again for my room number as they had lost my order.

And to cap it all - a Basil Fawlty type character then made a big deal of going around every table asking if everything was ok. He didn't come to mine :-)

Room Tip: Avoid early morning (08.30ish) checkout as always busy Avoid checking in around 18.00 as always bus...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GrahamVingoe
agehig, Manager at Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We feel that "Probably the worst Holiday Inn in the Country" is a rather harsh and extreme title for your review, we would like you to give us an opportunity to investigate the matters raised here in order for us to provide you with a resolution. Please can you e mail me at adrian.arnott@ihg.com with details of staff, timings etc.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here sat 23rd Nov, and booked over the web inc b/fast.
On arrival very busy at desk at 2115hrs and only one person behind desk. Not Good. Room we clean.
Restaurant: we wanted to eat but although being told it had a good menu found it to be poor selection and over priced so opted to go for a walk to Horley 900mtrs away and found a most fantastic Italian see my other reviews. Sleep we slept very well hotel was quite.
breakfast : a buffet affair May I just say this has to be one of our best breakfasts we have had in a long time well cooked choice of eggs freshly cooked and the serving dishes had little quantity's and refreshed when needed the staff where attentive and polite Well Done !!
My wife was on a course at the hotel so I had time to myself hotel was happy to extend my check out time at no extra charge and the bar area around lunch time was very nice. The restaurant was not open at lunch time but food could be ordered at the bar.
In summary: the hotel was clean, breakfast was very very good, but what made the hotel was the staff very happy smiley people and very polite
Well done !!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank You for your review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast.

PA to General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Sofitel London Gatwick
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way) Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport? Share your experiences!