“Slipping slowly down the slope to mediocrity”

Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Larkhall
“Slipping slowly down the slope to mediocrity”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here before, it's a convenient location but the hotel is getting really tired and grubby.
My evening did not start well, the room key did not work, the replacement did however and I found myself in an already occupied room. On returning to reception I receive a slight apology and a free drinks card and set off to my new room.

The room was reasonable but the paint and fittings were grubby and discoloured but I missed the worst bit until the morning when I went for a shower and found that the bath had not been cleaned.

I also dined in the restaurant, the food was nice but nothing startling and when I tried to use my free drinks card I was told I could not java a J2O (fruit juice) but could have any alchol I wished. Enough is enough I went to bed and raised my complains with the duty manager in the morning.

As I write this I await a telephone call from the hotel Manager to apologise and discuss my complaint.

This hotel is in need of a serious makeover and upgrade. Come on IHG spend the money.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Catherine J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear MIB-53

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport following your recent stay with us.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that we do take your comments very seriously and would like to thank you for bringing them to our attention.

I do hope this matter has been sorted out for you to your satisfaction following your conversation with our Operations Manager.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel.

Catherine James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel the night before an early morning flight out of Gatwick Airport. I had an incredibly pleasant experience with the hotel staff and my overall stay. The staff was friendly, incredibly helpful, and had a great sense of humor. We got everything we needed before we even checked into our room. Check-out was a breeze as well. We didn't spend enough hours at the hotel for me to be able to comment on the amenities, but the room was simple and clean. If you're looking for a hassle-free, affordable accommodation, entering or leaving London via Gatwick, this is it. I wouldn't recommend, however, taking the Gatwick shuttle bus to the hotel from the airport or vice versa. It was 2.50 per person on the shuttle, and it was quite a hassle to wait for the bus (45ish minutes), go on the bus route (which stops at several other hotels for pick up and drop off), and then trek through a gravel lot with our luggage from behind the hotel to the entrance. A taxi (with the Holiday Inn's special rate) is only 6 pounds and is definitely worth it in my opinion. You can ask the hotel to hire a cab for you for pick up from the Gatwick airport and drop off to the hotel or the other way around.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jordan R

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport and for your positive comments regarding the staff and the Hotel.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived at 11:30pm after just coming back from our holiday. We were literally only there for about 9 hours but it did the job we needed. Rooms were clean and beds comfy. We were on the ground floor and didnt have any trouble sleeping. Have nothing bad to say about the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Melissabn

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

We are very pleased you found the room to clean and the bed comfy.

We do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

On first arrival finding a parking space at the back of the hotel was a lot easier than had been anticipated, probably due to the staff frequently moving the vehicles out to a storage area until the required return date. The Customer service on the front desk was pleasant and very efficient, with a fast check in, purchase of shuttle bus tickets and table reservation for four in the restaurant.
We had a our meal with drinks, was a little dearer than expected, however the quality of the food was great along with the service so didn't mind paying and we don't live in London so guess the prices are on par with other establishments, we may have felt differently if the steak was chewy and fatty etc.
The rooms are all pleasant size with efficiently working air conditioning and we had a good nights sleep. All had a good nights sleep and easily caught the 04.30 shuttle to the South Terminal. Upon return we only had to wait approximately 5 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up and take us back to the hotel. Where again the front desk staff were efficient in finding the car key and outlining where the car was parked, so was on the road easily within 30 minutes of walking out the terminal building.
A convenient hotel to stay at when flying in or out early in the morning, and I guess any other time. Will certainly use again and join their Park, Stay & Go Club.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Chris F
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport and for your positive comments regarding your check in and check out experience.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed your drinks and meal and found the hotel convenient for your flight. If you contact the hotel Front Office directly, they will be happy to put the Park, Stay and Go Club forms in the post to you.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were greeted by the reception staff who confirmed that we had got the right place (there seemed to be confusion). The room was very good, clean and spacious with everything you would be likely to need. A bus goes at regular intervals to the terminals for £3 each. Supermarket just round the corner for last minute bits. Everyone from Manager down was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Anthony M

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found everyone to be helpful and friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you next time you stay.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have stayed here before many years ago , but I did not write a review then. I went to London just for a quick weekend trip , so I was looking for a hotel which was cheaper than going for a hotel in the city. When arriving at Gatwick South Terminal , it is easy to get the airport bus from stop 9. It stops only at three hotels and the Holiday Inn is the last stop. The bus rides takes about 10-12 minutes, and there are several buses passing by the hotel , G1/G3 and G7. In the morning, your hotel is the last stop for the bus going to the aiport , so you get a quick trip into the terminal. If you need to do some shopping , there is a very large supermarket just 8-10 minutes walk from the hotel just going out to the left,Tesco Express. It is open 24 hours.
I did have a breakfast and ordered online with my booking. It is usually always cheaper than paying upfront the same morning. I would certainly book this hotel again for future trips via Gatwick Airport !!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank N0rwegianTravellers
Dear N0rwegian Travellers

Thank you for your very nice review of the Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed here on 14th June prior to an early morning flight to Italy. OK for a night but not much more. Staff are very helpful. Mix up with my booking led to a discount being forfeited,but, the Assistant manager re-entered our details and gave us some £37.00 back as goodwill. Room was very noisy due to the car park. Very little sleep.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the rear. Massive coach and car park.