“give it a miss!”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Horley
brightlingsea
“give it a miss!”
Reviewed 22 May 2008

stayed here overnight after a twilight check-in, thinking we would arrive at gatwick for our flight, not so fraught! and relaxed.

Everything was okay until our evening meal in their restaurant.
My caesar salad was quite nice, no problem there, or so I thought! My other half had sirloin steak, well he couldn't cut through it, and you could see it wasn't sirloin steak, by the shape and cut of it. he sent it back to the kitchen, where 10 mins later they brought out another one, same thing unedible. H e didn't bother complaining again, we just went to bed, looking forward to our holiday, the next day. The night was very hot, air conditioning did not work, windows wouldn't open. And i spent most of the night in the bathroom, thanks to the caesar salad.

And also. the night was very noisy, people going to and fro, so we didn't get much sleep.

i shall research airport hotels, next time I book one.If anyone has a good one to recommend near to Heathrow, I would like to know of it please.

• Liked — Reception
  • Disliked — food, airconditioning not working properly, noisy
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aruba43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2008

I stayed here for one night before an early flight the next morning. I found the hotel to be functional and adequate for an overnight stay. The room was clean, the staff fine, and the food was okay; just another budget chain hotel. All that can be said is that it is an airport hotel, nothing more - a ‘non-place’ with no warmth or atmosphere, but it is what you come to expect with these places.

• Stayed April 2008
2 Thank Jack360
West midlands
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Hubby had been working away and was staying here, he found the staff friendly and helpful. I went down to spend a weekend with him and found the place clean, it has everything you could need for a short stay. Ideal for just somewhere to lay your head.
If you don’t want a big meal the bar food is very good and the breakfast are well cooked with a wide verity to choose from

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — nothing, it did what it said on the tin.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LOMWestmidlands
Northants
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Having been to many 3 star Best Western properties perhaps I was hoping too much for this to be the same. From the rather uninterested check in staff through to the rather disappointing rooms this was the worst BW chained hotel I have stayed in.

So we were on the 15 day parking package and to be fair I have no complaints over the car parking or the ease of getting in or out.

The check in staff were uninterested in the customer in general and found it all a bit of a chore to sort you out. However we got a key and headed upstairs to the room which absolutely stunk of fresh smoke. A trip downstairs again and I was rather embarrassed by the tone of the staff upon requesting a change of room. It was I was assured "Bad guests" that left the room this way (not spotted by the cleaning staff? Or was it them that were smoking?). So eventually another room was found and key proffered without so much as an apology.

Was this room ok? It was dated and had fully non-functioning air conditioning (a fault raised on the fault card which had been replaced in the folder from the previous occupants). How hot could it get in March (outside temp 4-6 degrees)? I'll tell you - enough to warrant a fully functioning air conditioning unit! By 3am and with only 1 1/2hr until it was time to get up I gave up and watched TV.

Feeling unrefreshed and praying for gravity to assist the downward fall of the ill performing shower I wondered whether my trust of Best Western was misguided. This was certainly not the experiences at BW I had come across elsewhere.

The restaurant and bar area had the look of a modern hotel with the room some 10-15yrs behind. Though the food was more than palatable.

Would I stay at the hotel again? Its a simple no. I don't believe this to be representative of the BW chain and although I'd continue with them I will be looking elsewhere at Gatwick.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gav678
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2008

stayed here for one night as i had training in the Crawley area early the next morning.
we arrived quite late, after 10pm as we got quite lost! the hotel wasnt signposted at all.
the car park was multi storey and was extremly busy. there was probably 2 or 3 spaces free,so we were quite lucky to eventually find one.
there was a door which led you into the reception area. the receptionist wasnt overlly friendly, not sure if she knew alot of english to be honest.
our room was on the 3rd floor and we were unfortunatly stuck inbetween a very hyper school party! we didnt bother asking to be moved,as we were quite tired. we just wanted to go to bed!!
the room was basic but clean.
still very noisy from kids outside who were obviously excited to be flying somewhere the next morning (as we found out by being woken at 6am!)
the lift could also be heard going up and down all night, even though we werent next to it.
we didnt have breakfast at the hotel but i think u can have it delivered to your room.

so, all together, rooms are basic, staff ok- a satisfactory budget hotel...

• Liked — Receptionist giving us free parking!!!
  • Disliked — unhappy staff, awful car park
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
hampshire
Reviewed 3 March 2008

I stayed here in January and February this year whilst attending a course.
I did eat lunch in the restaurant, which was always hot and nicely cooked.
The room was always with immaculately white fresh crisp bedlinen and i had excellent nights sleep.
Tea and coffee were left in the room and small bottles of shampoo and showergel were handy in case you had left yours behind!
Extra pillows, towels, and quilts were also in room, presumably if there were additional people as the bed had a pull out part to the bottom.
i wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, especially if catching a late/early flight.
(£6 per night car parking charge was also added)
The only negative point was that some selfish person had been smoking in a non-smoking room! When will they realise that no smoking, means no smoking!

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
nottingham
Reviewed 1 March 2008

stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in Feb 2008. Location is good and easy to find.

Check in was simple and finding my room easy.

My room was an ok size but it was freezing. I hate cold rooms, its winter and cold outside, my room should be warm or at least able to be made warm with the air con/heating. It continually blowed out cold air making the room colder.

I went to reception and was advised someone would come up. 2 hours later someone comes and tells me they will make too much mess fixing it so gave me a radiator. It did the trick and I was happy!

Food in restaurant very nice. Everyday they have a special which they write on the board. There was mixed grill and beef something one the days I went. My colleague had the mixed grill and said it was lovely. I had pasta and steak on alternative nights and both were very nice.

The breakfast was beautiful, lots of choice of hot and cold food and even though we went to breakfast late 9.30am (breakfast closes at 10am) the food wasnt dry etc.

For any business people choosing to have a conference here,

The rooms we were given were all close to each other (we had 8 rooms in total, 1 presentation room and 7 interview rooms) all were set up accordingly and had water and glasses in them. The conference worker was prompt and had our day planned for us e.g. lunch and drinks etc.

The rooms come with a fridge full of water and cans of pop, not many hotels provide more than water in their conference rooms so thought this was a nice touch.

We had tea, coffee and cookies (still warm) provided in the morning, a hot lunch which consisted of noodles, potatoes, chilli con carne, lasagne and much more.

overall a nice hotel to stay in and to have a conference in.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
gmgat, Manager at Airport Inn Gatwick, responded to this review, 4 March 2008
I would just like to thank you for your kind comments about my hotel and the team here.

We work hard to look after all our guests and as a Conference delegate you will have seen more of the hotel than most.

The team have worked hard to provide excellent Conference Standards and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed them.

Many thanks also for letting me know about your problem with the heating. Although this has not been a common experience in the hotel I have responded by initiating a thorough check of all in room heating systems to ensure there are no further inconveniences of this nature.

Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Ibis London Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way) Hotel

Been to Airport Inn Gatwick? Share your experiences!