“Staff were very helpful”

Airport Inn Gatwick
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Pros: meal in restaurant was lovely and the staff were friendly and helpful

Cons: rooms have air con but the windows do not open so room felt very claustrophobic. As the windows do not open the hallway was a bit smelly. Shuttle bus only took 10 minutes which was very handy.

Probably wouldn't stay again but was ok for one night.

• Stayed: July 2013
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Airport Inn Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you found your meal to be lovely and our team members friendly and helpful. I’m sure you’re aware it is a health and safety policy to ensure windows are limited and despite enjoying everything else, I’m sorry to read you might not return. I hope you change your mind as I’d look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Arrived on 22/06/13 and was only staying until early hours, as was catching flight from airport. On arrival we were advised of a £7.00 car parking charge. We sucked that up, beacasue we were starting our holiday. Room was ok, so we headed to the bar. One Cidar and a J2O was almost £9.00!!!!! Almost had a heart attack!! Decided to have food, as we didnt have many other options and it was appauling. I had a veggie burger and the whole thing leaked a watery substance and ruined the chips!!! We went back to the room very disappointed and hungry. If it had been up to me, i would have complained. but my partner did not want to upset the holiday vibe!!!
Overall there was not enough coffee, tea or milk in the room...........beacause they want you to use the expensive bar and restaurant. The room was very basic.The pillows were like rock and the light that came from under the door from the hallway was so bright, I thought we had already arrived in Sicily!!!
These hotels all sell you cheap rooms and boy do they make up for it on EVERYTHING ELSE!!! Stayed at the Ibis on way back. Much better, nicer room, more coffee and tea, better pillows and not so expensive. Dinner tasted good and the parking was only £5.00 not £7.00!!!! Would never stay again...........but if u wanted a room like those at Moat House I would wing it in a layby for free. Staff were friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Lea23ne
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Airport Inn Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

Firstly, I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your time with us and found your room to be uncomfortable. We offer complimentary tea, coffee and milk in the rooms. If a guest requires some more we are happy to deliver it to the room at any time.

I have taken many notes from your review and I will be sure to discuss them at length with the hotel team. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate in contacting me on ops.gatwick@qmh-hotels.com quoting your name, room number and date of stay.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for your stay and I hope in the future you give us a chance to show you what our hotel can truly offer our guests.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Typical airport hotel. Got a cheap 1 night deal here for £63 RO on a Saturday night. This is your typical airport hotel and is just out of easy walking distance to Gatwick North terminal although regular bus transfers pass in front of reception. Unfortunately, on checking in the fella checking people in was incredibly slow and inept and it took 25 mins for him to check in 2 couples in front of us and ourselves. He seemed to find issues with everything and was unable to provide the first couple with the disabled room they had requested and reconfirmed with the management. There were about 20 people getting irate whilst waiting to check in by the time I got my room key which was unacceptable!!

Hotel restaurant looked quite uninspiring and pricey so went to eat at a local pub. There are two pubs in easy walking distance, on a Vintage Inn called Ye Old Six Bells which is a gastro pub / resto (I think you have to eat to use the place so not really a pub!) and a further 4-500m down the road is a low end family pub called “Fayre and Square” which is aiming entirely at the cheaper end of the market. Anything else involves a walk of a mile or more into Horley Town Centre. Hotel bar looked average but I didn’t use it.

Hotel has paid multi-storey parking which is £7 per overnight for residents. Room was small and impractical with nowhere to put things, limited plug sockets, etc. The bathroom was quite big however!! Tea and coffee in room. AirCon in room was useful. No safe. No drawers / closing cupboards. Only one lift was working (by the looks of it for some time) meaning that access up and down was jammed up constantly and it could take you several minutes to get up or down. Walls were paper thin and the bed and pillows were rock hard, leaving one of us with a sore back. No faciltiies like pool or gym, etc. Hotel in general is quite tired and in need of a refurb!

Summary: This is a very very average airport hotel and seriously not worth the money. If staying here again, I would try the nearby Holiday Inn or Travelodge in preference to this place… or better still, the Premier Inn right at the North Terminal saving the hassle of an overpriced bus in the morning!

p.s. For your local supplies, etc, there is a large TESCO supermarket about 5 minutes walk from the hotel

Room Tip: Dont go too high as with only one functioning room, it takes ages every time you want to head up or...
1  Thank Craigie

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am sorry that you feel dissatisfied with your stay and were disappointed with what you experienced. I have taken notes concerning the issue at check in and this will be discussed with the Front Office Manager.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night as we laid over for a flight out of Gatwick. It met our expectations. The hotel certainly is showing its age and the rooms look a bit dated. The bed was not very comfortable and distinctly remember waking up a little sore in the hip. The wifi is a bit suspect as well. We had to go to the front desk twice to get new wifi passwords because the originals didn't work for some reason. We ate in the hotel restaurant which was a pretty good meal. Overall it met our expectations for a 1 night stay needed by the airport.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your one night with us and found your meal to be of a high standard. I am sorry there was problems with the WiFi passwords and your bed, I do hope that these issues did not mar your view of our hotel and would deter you from staying at our hotel again.

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before a flight to Gatwick. Having looked at previous reviews I was worried about the cleanliness of the rooms but needn't of been. We stayed in room 202, it was clean, fresh towels and the maids had made love heart swans out of the hand towels and they were on our bed. The room is small but was ideal for a one night stay. We ate in Harriet's restaurant on site & took advantage of their offer, 2 starters 2 mains & a glass of wine each for £29.99. My partner had soup and I had pâté. For mains we both had the ale pie. It was good food for the price. The shuttle for the airport was good value at £3 each. We had an early morning flight, so left the hotel at 0535am. A shuttle arrived soon after and did the round of the other hotels, before dropping people off at the south terminal then the north. Took about 20mins in all. The shuttle number for this hotel is G1 or G3 so you just look out for this one on your return. We got a good deal for the hotel & parking through a deal at our work. We got a nights stay + 15 days parking for £98 which was good value. The staff were friendly & helpful re the shuttle times. After 5am a shuttle runs every ten minutes to the Gatwick terminals. We would definitely stay here again if we flying from Gatwick

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our Park and Fly service to be a wonderful way to start your holiday. I’m happy our shuttle service was helpful and you found your meals to be delicious and plentiful. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next fancy a break away.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed here just 1 night during a transit to Gatwick for an early flight the next day. Hotel was a little run down, not that clean. Room was small, but had the basics. Was handy having the shuttle bus running quite regular, and all hours...cost was £3 ea. Towels in the room were old and a little dirty.

OK value for money, like previous reviewers have mentioned, you get what you pay for but it's most likely ok for a short one night stopover.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Airport Inn Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of your time with us.

I am pleased to read that you found your stay with us good value and it covered everything you needed. I’m sorry your towels were dirty, I will be sure to speak to housekeeping about this so that this doesn’t happen again. I hope that this does not deter you from using us again.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Don't be fooled into thinking you're getting a deal... You're not! The walls are paper thin so you can hear everyone left and right of you all night. There were hairs in the bath and the shower water didn't drain our so you were stood in dirty shower water. Overall pretty awful!

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear guest,

I am very sorry to read that your time with us was disappointing and you found your room to be less than satisfactory. Your comments have been discussed with the Head Housekeeper and his team to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

Thank you for your review.

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South (London Road) Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport

Been to Airport Inn Gatwick? Share your experiences!