“Bad start to European Vacation...Must read!”

Airport Inn Gatwick
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Horley
Reviewed 18 March 2009

This experience dates a couple of years but I recently found out about this site and would like to share my experience with readers. I flew into Gatwick airport from Canada on the morning of August 10, 2006. This was the same morning that the terrorist plot to blow up planes over the Atlantic was unveiled and every airport in London shut down. I was scheduled to fly to Prague 4 hours later to meet up with a friend and begin my backpacking of Eastern Europe. Of course, that didn't happen. Simply put...Gatwick was absolute chaos and I had no idea of the region. After 6 or 7 hours in Gatwick I decided to keep what sanity I had remaining and book a hotel. I went to information and they gave me the number for this hotel and told me that it would be 99.00 GBP a night. This was a lot ...especially on my eastern european budget but after 16 hours of travelling, I had no fight left in me so I called them and booked it. Upon arriving to this Best Western, I was greeted by a very unfriendly lady who gave me the bad news. Best Western Moat House had hiked the price up to 149.00 GBP a night because of the airport shut downs!! They actually increased the price to take advantage of other peoples misfortune!! Absolutely unbelievable that a corporation would do that. In shock, I argued about the price with the lady at the desk and she simply said, "take it or leave". This was a great introduction to London. Reluctantly I took it, (I know....dumb but I had no idea of the region and I was sooo tired). I figured at the very least, I would get a nice room and have a great sleep while the turmoil at the airports straightened itself out. Very wrong. The room was old, musty and dirty. I didn't dare walk on the carpet with my bare feet and I actually used my sleeping bag to sleep on the bed! No lie. The sleeping bag wassupposed to be for emergency situations or if a hostel in eastern europe was very seedy. In fact, I never used my sleeping again during that trip. Every hostel bed that I slept in in eastern europe was cleaner than that bed at Best Western. On average, I paid 15 dollars canadian a night for a hostel.....but I paid 333 dollars Canadian for that one night in Gatwick! Worst deal ever. I still shake my head thinking about it. I found an Econo Lodge for the next two nights of my entrapment in Gatwick and they charged a reasonable 69.00 GBP and the rooms were so so much cleaner. I will never step foot in another Best Western as long as I live and neither will my friends.
Thanks for reading!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
1  Thank PWDRtstMN
Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 12 March 2009

great hotel for business. i would come back for leisure too. staff so friendly and good value for money, i defintely recommend it and would come back. booked through their own website,i shopped for other rates and the best deal through Best western.well done.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We booked the hotel as part of a hotel and park package through Hoiiday Extras. The price was good and the hotels website looked OK. However when we arrived in the evening and checked in, the one receptionist could not find the booking and wanted to charge us twice!! Eventually with the aid of the duty manager, this was sorted. The room was small, needed refurbishing, cleanish and basic. It was a room only basis as we had an early flight (thank goodness) We had a light snack in the bar after we had checked in and it was meodiocre but expensive....go to the chippy!!
We would not stay there again and would have been really not happy if we had payed the higher price that was advertised.......there must be better airport hotels for this price.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mooer
Reviewed 17 June 2008

Premier Inn is sooo much better. If your not American you might be ok with this but the Premier Inn is soo much better for your value and budget. It's cleaner, nicer, and friendlier. Also the beds are way more comfy. I would say the bestwestern is a 2 star and the premier in is 3 star hotel. Both about the same price. Your choice.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank swyzzel
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I was ready to put a priceline bid and found many negative comments about another hotel that claimed it was near the airport but was 5 miles away. Rather than get stuck, I searched and found the best price of $120/night (at the best western home sight ) which included breakfast. The hotel is extremely close to the hotel and the fee for the bus was worth it. The room was a little on the small side but the bathroom was huge and it was very clean. We ended up having dinner upon arrival, splurging on filet mignon and discovering it was a good meal. Breakfast buffet had plenty to offer and all was delicious. This is a great hotel if you are catching a morning flight out. It allowed us to enjoy a relaxing breakfast, arriving at the airport plenty early and never feeling rushed. The staff was wonderful and we were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank idealden
Reviewed 22 May 2008

stayed here overnight after a twilight check-in, thinking we would arrive at gatwick for our flight, not so fraught! and relaxed.

Everything was okay until our evening meal in their restaurant.
My caesar salad was quite nice, no problem there, or so I thought! My other half had sirloin steak, well he couldn't cut through it, and you could see it wasn't sirloin steak, by the shape and cut of it. he sent it back to the kitchen, where 10 mins later they brought out another one, same thing unedible. H e didn't bother complaining again, we just went to bed, looking forward to our holiday, the next day. The night was very hot, air conditioning did not work, windows wouldn't open. And i spent most of the night in the bathroom, thanks to the caesar salad.

And also. the night was very noisy, people going to and fro, so we didn't get much sleep.

i shall research airport hotels, next time I book one.If anyone has a good one to recommend near to Heathrow, I would like to know of it please.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aruba43
Reviewed 29 April 2008

I stayed here for one night before an early flight the next morning. I found the hotel to be functional and adequate for an overnight stay. The room was clean, the staff fine, and the food was okay; just another budget chain hotel. All that can be said is that it is an airport hotel, nothing more - a ‘non-place’ with no warmth or atmosphere, but it is what you come to expect with these places.

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank Jack360
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
1 mi away
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way) Hotel

Been to Airport Inn Gatwick? Share your experiences!