“Didn't expect much, didn't get it.”

Best Western Gatwick Skylane Hotel
Ranked #27 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We booked this hotel through Thomas Cook (who will also be getting told about this place) for one night before we flew and one night when we returned.
Flying from Gatwick, we had a 3 hour drive to the hotel. After being stuck on the M1, it turned into a 4 and a half hour journey (not the hotels fault, I know..!).
We got there quite late, got checked in, threw our cases in the room and went out for something to eat. When we got back it would have been about 11-11:30 and went up to our room. When I sat on the bed, I couldn't help noticing I may as well have sat on the floor. The bottom half of the bed was completely broken. I'm not particularly fussy - years as a touring musician has seen me staying in some awful places and I've never complained as it is, at least, a bed for the night. But this was unbelievable. We were up at 4am to get to Gatwick and if I'm honest, I couldn't be bothered to complain as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. So my wife slept in the single bed that was in our room and I laid at a 45 degree angle with the floor and closed my eyes for a bit. Cracking start to a honeymoon.....!!!
The room was clean but that was pretty much where it ended. The shower was pathetically weak, the hair dryers second setting was broken - even the free pen didn't work!
The staff did, at least, manage to call us a taxi so we just got in and went on our way not wanting to start our much anticipated holiday with an argument in a British hotel.

When we returned from our holiday, we got a taxi back to the airport (cheaper than the hotels shuttle bus which charge a fiver per person (I think) - our taxi was 5.50....
We were shown to another room which was, it has to be said, a vast improvement on the last one - but then sticking us in the shed would have been an improvement....

When we got back it was a late landing, we arrived at the hotel at about 11pm and I asked if my car was ready having left it parked there. "Why?" was the response I got. After being told that my car was "somewhere out there" with a rough hand gesture to the car park at the front of the building we went to get some food. We basically walked around the pretty dimly lit car park until we found our car.

Went to bed, didn't sleep very well as there are doors banging constantly all night. I understand this is an airport hotel so people are coming and going at all times of the day and night but you'd think they'd think about soft closing doors?!?

I can honestly say I've never been happier to leave a hotel. It's not Thomas Cooks fault, but they will be finding out about this hotel with a recommendation that they don't send people there any more.

Yes it's a budget hotel, but even for a budget hotel the standard here is pretty poor.

Room Tip: My room tip - get a room in a different hotel.
1  Thank Kev_Vivo

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at Days Hotel Gatwick the night before our flight to Egypt on the 11th Nov when we arrived at the airport from our Newquay flight I rang them and they arrived within 5 mins we arrived at the hotel and everyone was very pleasant and friendly .The room was clean and tidy after having a shower we went to the restaurant and had dinner the barman and the waiter were both very friendly and the food hot and there was plenty on the plates at a reasonable price.Next morning we got the shuttle bus to the airport once again the driver was very friendly and the minibus clean and tidy.Same again on our return from Egypt have no complaints with this hotel at all Will definitely use this hotel again as it's actually the first one in 6 years that ticked all the boxes ....The only thing I would say is the beds are low to the ground but comfy and we slept like logs ...:)

Room Tip: we had 2nd floor rooms both timesand they were both clean and tidy didn't find anything wrong wi...
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We chose this hotel for the car parking before the holiday and a night to stay on arrival at Gatwick.
The car parking and transfer was very smooth and polite. There was a distinct B.O. smell around reception.
We were at the hotel at approx. 21.45 and the sign clearly stated the restaurant was open until 22.00. when we asked for food we were told to use the garage supermarket down the road. This was very disappointing as we were looking forward to a curry. Indian establishments are usually more profit minded and serve a little later than this.
The breakfast was average but was very welcome.
The room was very clean, warm and comfortable.
For the price paid it was good value.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel before flying from Gatwick early this November. After reading some of the reviews we were really dreading what we would be arriving to but were pleasantly surprised. We were checked in perfectly fine by the pleasant hotel manager and given details of where things were. Our room was perfectly sized for what we required, clean and modern.
The bathroom was beautiful, the shower was powerful and just what was needed following a 3 and a half hour car journey and early rise for our flight the next day. Most importantly for me the towels were clean, smelt fresh and were nice and big (I think you can tell a lot from a hotel by their towels) We visited the bar in the evening for some drinks and the staff were friendly and went out of their way to serve us. We didn't order food but saw families around us who had and the portions were ample and looked hot and tasty. Wished we had sampled their curry menu though.
I think a lot of the bad reviews of this hotel have come from many expecting 5 star luxury but for the price we paid for the hotel and parking this was a real steal. Our experience of this hotel was 3-4* which is shocking considering the reviews and the hotels own rating, don't be put off, perhaps we just got lucky but it was perfect for what we needed and will definitely return if flying from Gatwick again.

Room Tip: We had room number 1 so maybe stick around that area.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Got a deal through groupon. Arrived on a Monday at 3am to leave the car and go to gatwick. Was greeted by an unfriendly trainee who appears to not know anything about the hotel. When I asked if I could stay in the car for an extra hour until the taxi arrived, to sleep, I was questioned why, if I wanted to smoke etc... Just a very difficult arrangement clearly. When I came back to stay for the night after my holiday, I was first given a triple bedroom with three separate beds for me and my partner, when I had specifically asked for a double room. Upon request I was moved to an executive double room, which did not have heating, the lights made a very loud ringing noise when on, the tv barely had any reception. The worst is the bathroom in which the floor tiles had no grouting and we're literally just placed on the floor and the sink had no hot water and was so small that I just splashed water everywhere. Also I was awaken at 8.50am for bloody room service! Now don't get me wrong, i do not usually complain about hotels and am easygoing. In fact the hotel where I just came from from Marrakech had some issues but the kindness of the hosts made them irrelevant. But the sheer uselessness and impoliteness of the host at this hotel just makes everything else totally unacceptable!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Michelleibakker
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel prior to flying from Gatwick. Having spent some time looking at the mass of hotels in the area catering for those doing exactly this, I went for Days because of the price, the fact that it was a hotel rather than a B&B, and because the the car could be parked there for the duration of our holiday without extra charge. The hotel was easy to find and initial impressions were good with plenty of parking available and a professional welcome from the Duty Manager. The room was as good as if not better than say a Premier Inn, with air-conditioning, a small but well fitted en suite bathroom and plenty of wardrobe space + a good sized TV. So far, so good. However, the radiator in the bathroom didn't work (or wasn't switched on), which left the Baroness a little chilly when having her bath and the A/C thermostat had to be twisted up to max to get the room to an acceptable temperature. This lack of adequate heating was not helped by the fact that when you left the room, taking your entry card from the wall control turned off the heating as well as the lighting etc! So being on the cold side was not a plus point although there was unlimited hot water for the bath to get us warm before bed. Ah, the bed!! Now there is the other problem. It was lumpy, hard and uncomfortable. Sleep was sporadic at best and I crawled out at first light with an aching back and creaking joints thankful that I had an eight hour flight during which I could hopefully make up for the sleep deprivation. (You know it cannot have been good when I - as somebody who snoozes on flights at best - seriously thought I could make up the sleep on an aircraft!)

Our package included a one (main) course meal in the restaurant which was more of a bistro than a restaurant. Again, it was not exactly warm in there but the food was fine albeit somewhat basic and predictable fare along the pizza; scampi; gammon lines etc.

The car stayed there for a fortnight without any problems and was included in the price of just about £100 which is pretty good value when measured against what Gatwick Airport itself and the bigger hotels charge for parking alone.

Transfer to the airport and back was painless via the hotel's mini bus and took about ten minutes at a cost of £5 per person return.

In summary, an adequate rather than an outstanding experience, but for £100 for two with dinner, bed and transport + parking for a fortnight it would be hard to award less than three stars - despite the bed and the inadequate heating. If you want more, you have to pay more, and if the purpose is simply somewhere to lay your head before flying off on holiday, then this is "acceptable".

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Arrive on the 2november about 12 vary nice welcome we was allowed to check in right away room clean a good standard with everything you would need we went in to horley for some dinner in the local wetherspoons ,came back to our room watch some tv .later that night got a take away from the restaurant down stairs they gave us plates and knives and forks we had a lovely Indian curry .we had awake up call at 3am where our taxi was was waiting for us at reception a10mins journey to the airport cost of 6 pound ,we have used this hotel a couple time and book it again for next summer .well worth the money .

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horley
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley
Gatwick Cambridge Hotel
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth

Been to Best Western Gatwick Skylane Hotel? Share your experiences!