“Slightly less then expectations....”

Best Western Gatwick Skylane Hotel
Ranked #15 of 30 Horley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Second stay at this hotel. Nice room which comes with good facilities. We were unable to have breakfast as have to leave half 6 for flight. Here is a tip, maybe not cooked but continental breakfast can definitely be arranged early mornings and maybe having snack menu for late comers??

Stayed: December 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,168)

Reviewed 6 December 2013

we booked ourselves into this hotel for one night before the flight to Tenerife and to have our car parked for the duration of our Holiday. The total cost of the room and the parking for 8 nights was ridiculously low (arouns £70) considering we got a free shuttle to and from the airport which was prompt friendly courteous and efficient.
the hotel and room was clean comfortable and friendly, we slept like logs and enjoyed our stay.
whilst there we had a drink and a meal in the restaurant and I have to say it was one of the tastiest Indian meals I have ever had and I told the manager so .
over all this was a great start to our holiday thank you days inn if we need this service again we will be back.
when we returned we phone from the airport and the shuttle was with us in five minutes and we were treated like honoured clients by the driver and whisked away to find our car waiting near the door with no fuss at all .

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Having booked this hotel for one night prior to flying, I then looked at the reviews and, to my dismay, I saw that most of them were poor. I therefore was not expecting much and apologised in advance to the friend who was travelling with me.

What a surprise! I think I must have stayed at a different hotel from most people! My friend and I arrived at Gatwick South an hour later than expected, due to traffic delays, and the shuttle bus to Days was just pulling in, so we didn't have to make a telephone call. The driver was helpful and friendly and told us that the fare was only £5 each return, rather than around £7 each way in a taxi.

Check-in at the hotel was friendly and fuss-free and, on arrival in our room, we found a three-bedded room, rather than the twin we had asked for, but that just gave us extra space on which to put our suitcases. The room (number 40, I think) was not large, but had enough space for us to move around easily, and it was decorated attractively. The beds were very comfortable and, in fact, my friend said hers was more comfortable than she had at home! The bathroom, like the bedroom, was very clean and there was a good supply of hot water to the shower.

We had pre-booked an evening meal and had the choice of any main course from the Indian or standard menu. We both chose the sirloin steak, which was cooked perfectly to each of our tastes. Looking at other people who had ordered the Indian food, it looked excellent too. In fact, we followed our steak with the Kulfi, which was delicious!

We had a very comfortable night and enjoyed our breakfast. There was a choice of hot and cold food and the cooked breakfast was freshly cooked, not left standing in warming cabinets.

The return shuttle to the Airport was timely and the driver again very friendly and helpful. In fact, all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

All in all, we both said that this was an excellent budget hotel near to Gatwick Airport and will happily stay there again.

As I have said before in my reviews of other hotels - if you want five star accommodation, go to a five star hotel and pay a five star price!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We booked this hotel through Thomas Cook (who will also be getting told about this place) for one night before we flew and one night when we returned.
Flying from Gatwick, we had a 3 hour drive to the hotel. After being stuck on the M1, it turned into a 4 and a half hour journey (not the hotels fault, I know..!).
We got there quite late, got checked in, threw our cases in the room and went out for something to eat. When we got back it would have been about 11-11:30 and went up to our room. When I sat on the bed, I couldn't help noticing I may as well have sat on the floor. The bottom half of the bed was completely broken. I'm not particularly fussy - years as a touring musician has seen me staying in some awful places and I've never complained as it is, at least, a bed for the night. But this was unbelievable. We were up at 4am to get to Gatwick and if I'm honest, I couldn't be bothered to complain as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. So my wife slept in the single bed that was in our room and I laid at a 45 degree angle with the floor and closed my eyes for a bit. Cracking start to a honeymoon.....!!!
The room was clean but that was pretty much where it ended. The shower was pathetically weak, the hair dryers second setting was broken - even the free pen didn't work!
The staff did, at least, manage to call us a taxi so we just got in and went on our way not wanting to start our much anticipated holiday with an argument in a British hotel.

When we returned from our holiday, we got a taxi back to the airport (cheaper than the hotels shuttle bus which charge a fiver per person (I think) - our taxi was 5.50....
We were shown to another room which was, it has to be said, a vast improvement on the last one - but then sticking us in the shed would have been an improvement....

When we got back it was a late landing, we arrived at the hotel at about 11pm and I asked if my car was ready having left it parked there. "Why?" was the response I got. After being told that my car was "somewhere out there" with a rough hand gesture to the car park at the front of the building we went to get some food. We basically walked around the pretty dimly lit car park until we found our car.

Went to bed, didn't sleep very well as there are doors banging constantly all night. I understand this is an airport hotel so people are coming and going at all times of the day and night but you'd think they'd think about soft closing doors?!?

I can honestly say I've never been happier to leave a hotel. It's not Thomas Cooks fault, but they will be finding out about this hotel with a recommendation that they don't send people there any more.

Yes it's a budget hotel, but even for a budget hotel the standard here is pretty poor.

Room Tip: My room tip - get a room in a different hotel.
1  Thank Kev_Vivo
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at Days Hotel Gatwick the night before our flight to Egypt on the 11th Nov when we arrived at the airport from our Newquay flight I rang them and they arrived within 5 mins we arrived at the hotel and everyone was very pleasant and friendly .The room was clean and tidy after having a shower we went to the restaurant and had dinner the barman and the waiter were both very friendly and the food hot and there was plenty on the plates at a reasonable price.Next morning we got the shuttle bus to the airport once again the driver was very friendly and the minibus clean and tidy.Same again on our return from Egypt have no complaints with this hotel at all Will definitely use this hotel again as it's actually the first one in 6 years that ticked all the boxes ....The only thing I would say is the beds are low to the ground but comfy and we slept like logs ...:)

Room Tip: we had 2nd floor rooms both timesand they were both clean and tidy didn't find anything wrong wi...
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We chose this hotel for the car parking before the holiday and a night to stay on arrival at Gatwick.
The car parking and transfer was very smooth and polite. There was a distinct B.O. smell around reception.
We were at the hotel at approx. 21.45 and the sign clearly stated the restaurant was open until 22.00. when we asked for food we were told to use the garage supermarket down the road. This was very disappointing as we were looking forward to a curry. Indian establishments are usually more profit minded and serve a little later than this.
The breakfast was average but was very welcome.
The room was very clean, warm and comfortable.
For the price paid it was good value.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel before flying from Gatwick early this November. After reading some of the reviews we were really dreading what we would be arriving to but were pleasantly surprised. We were checked in perfectly fine by the pleasant hotel manager and given details of where things were. Our room was perfectly sized for what we required, clean and modern.
The bathroom was beautiful, the shower was powerful and just what was needed following a 3 and a half hour car journey and early rise for our flight the next day. Most importantly for me the towels were clean, smelt fresh and were nice and big (I think you can tell a lot from a hotel by their towels) We visited the bar in the evening for some drinks and the staff were friendly and went out of their way to serve us. We didn't order food but saw families around us who had and the portions were ample and looked hot and tasty. Wished we had sampled their curry menu though.
I think a lot of the bad reviews of this hotel have come from many expecting 5 star luxury but for the price we paid for the hotel and parking this was a real steal. Our experience of this hotel was 3-4* which is shocking considering the reviews and the hotels own rating, don't be put off, perhaps we just got lucky but it was perfect for what we needed and will definitely return if flying from Gatwick again.

Room Tip: We had room number 1 so maybe stick around that area.